Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Tarin is the father of Marin. When Link wakes up after being shipwrecked, Tarin prevents him from leaving the house until he gives Link his Shield back. He also informs Link that something else, his Sword, has washed up on the beach. After Link retrieves his Sword, Tarin gets lost in the Mysterious Woods and is transformed into a Raccoon after eating a Sleepy Toadstool. In his Raccoon form, he becomes a trickster and uses his magic to change the forest path, preventing Link from reaching the Treasure Chest containing the Tail Key. Link can break the curse by sprinkling Magic Powder on him, but Tarin says he has no recollection of what happened to him and thinks it was a dream.
After Link removes his curse, Tarin can then be found inside his house asleep. He can later be found eating some Bananas inside after Link clears the Bottle Grotto, and recommends he visits Sale's House O' Bananas on Toronbo Shores if he wants some. After the Key Cavern is completed, Tarin is found standing next to an Honeycomb in Ukuku Prairie. He asks for a Stick to knock down the hive, and is subsequently chased off by a swarm of angry Bees. Link can then pick up the remaining Honeycomb. Afterwards, he tells Link that he has lost his taste for honey.
In the ending scene, Tarin can be seen picking Sleepy Toadstools in the Mysterious Woods.
- Marin and Tarin share a number of similarities with Malon and Talon introduced in Ocarina of Time, which may indicate that Malon and Talon were based on these two characters.
- Tarin resembles Mario from the Mario series. Both sport similar dark hair, hair style, a large nose, mustache, red shirt, and an affinity for Mushrooms. He also transforms into a Raccoon at one point, a power Mario has in several of his games.
Tarin's name may be a corruption of "Mario", replacing the first and last letters. It is also similar to his daughter Marin's name, replacing just the first letter.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||タリン (Tarin) (LA)|
|French||Tarkin (LA | LADX)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
- This character is also referred to as Raccoon after eating a Sleepy Toadstool in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc..
- "A father and daughter named Marin and Tarin that were introduced in Link's Awakening for Game Boy also appeared in this Zelda game. We're hoping that people who've played the Zelda series from the very beginning will recognize them. If you wonder 'is this a reference to then?' we'll be happy." —Toru Osawa (Ocarina of Time Developers Interview)
- "Tarin" — N/A (Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch))
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening — Nintendo Player's Guide by Nintendo of America Inc. , pg. 24
- "Whoa, boy! Where ya off to in such a hurry? Set a spell, I got somethin' ta tell ya!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Well, Link, ya finally snapped out of it... Name's Tarin... Hope yer feelin' better... What? How did I know your name? You think it's weird eh? Well, I saw it on back of this shield!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Oh, yeah... Some other stuff like this washed up on the beach... If'n you go look watch out for monsters! Ever since you showed up, Link, I've seen 'em all over the place!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "The last thing I kin remember was bitin' into a big juicy toad-stool... Then, I had the darndest dream... I was a raccoon! Yeah, sounds strange, but it sure was fun!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Heh heh heh ho! You're goin' ta be lost, thanks to me! Heh heh!" — Raccoon (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I was hungry somethin' fierce so I went and got bananas at the beach... Link, if you want some, you should go and get some!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Unnnngh! Owwwww! ... ... ... ... I've sure lost my taste for honey!" — Tarin (Link's Awakening DX)
- "I remember that we made Link’s Awakening in a really peculiar frame of mind. We began in the free spirit of an afterschool club, so the contents are quite unrestrained. If you look at it, you can tell. Characters similar to Mario and Luigi appear and Yoshi Dolls appear, too." —Takashi Tezuka (Iwata Asks - Zelda Handheld History (2. Kirby and Chomps in Zelda))