Artwork of the Kokiri's Emerald, Goron's Ruby, and Zora's Sapphire
|Use(s)||Opening the Door of Time|
|Comparable Item(s)||Pendants of Virtue|
Uses and Location
The Spiritual Stones are required to open the Door of Time, which has sealed away the Master Sword in the Temple of Time. When Link travels to Hyrule and meets Princess Zelda for the first time, she reveals that she had a dream that someone from the forest in possession of the Kokiri's Emerald would come to meet her. She also reveals that the races who protect these stones will only open their minds to those who know the melody of the Royal Family.
During his quest to unlock the Sacred Realm and steal the Triforce, Ganondorf was refused the Spiritual Stones by each of their respective guardians; therefore, he cursed them all. In order to obtain the Spiritual Stones, Link is required to free the guardians from Ganondorf's malevolence. Once all the Spiritual Stones are collected, Link must place them in the pedestal facing the Door of Time. He must then proceed to play the "Song of Time" in order to open the door leading to the Master Sword.
The Kokiri's Emerald, the Spiritual Stone of the Forest, is protected by the Great Deku Tree. In order to obtain it, Link must destroy the parasite that had infested him. After defeating Gohma, it was already too late for the Great Deku Tree, who dies shortly after giving Link the stone.
The Goron's Ruby, the Spiritual Stone of Fire, is a treasure hidden by the Goron race. When Link manages to defeat the evil creatures inside Dodongo's Cavern, the Goron's source of food, he is given the stone by Darunia, the patriarch of the Gorons.
The Zora's Sapphire, the Spiritual Stone of Water, was given to Princess Ruto by her mother, who said to entrust it to the man who will become her husband. After Link saves Ruto from Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the princess falls in love with the hero and gives him the Zora's Sapphire as a symbol of their "engagement."
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spiritual Stone||Kokiri's Emerald||Goron's Ruby||Zora's Sapphire|
|Japanese||精霊石 (Seirei Seki)||コキリのヒスイ (Kokiri no Hisui)||ゴロンのルビー (Goron no Rubī)||ゾーラのサファイア (Zōra no Safaia)|
|ChineseSI||精灵石 (Jīnglíng Shí)||科奇里翡翠 (Kēqílǐ Féicuì)||鼓隆红宝石 (Gǔlóng Hóngbǎoshí)||卓拉蓝宝石 (Zhuólā Lánbǎoshí)|
|FrenchCA||Pierre ancestral (OoT3D)|
|FrenchEU||Pierres Ancestrales||Émeraude Kokiri||Rubis Goron||Saphir Zora|
|German||Heilige Steine||Kokiri-Smaragd|| Goronen-Opal (OoT)
|Italian||Smeraldo dei Kokiri||Rubino dei Goron||Zaffiro degli Zora|
|SpanishLA||Piedra espiritual (OoT3D)||Esmeralda Kokiri||Rubí Goron||Zafiro Zora|
- "Seeking the three Spiritual Stones necessary to open the gateway to the Sacred Realm, he carried out his plots in secret, in every corner of the land." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 84)
- "That's right... The Temple of Time is the entrance through which you can enter the Sacred Realm from our world. But the entrance is sealed with a stone wall called the Door of Time. And, in order to open the door, it is said that you need to collect three Spiritual Stones." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "...You wouldn't happen to have... the Spiritual Stone of the Forest, would you?! That green and shining stone..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The light turned into a figure holding a green and shining stone, followed by a fairy... I know this is a prophecy that someone would come from the forest... Yes, I thought you might be the one..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Spiritual Stone... You finally found it! It is said that the races that hold the Spiritual Stones open their minds only to one who knows the melody of the Royal Family. But you already know that, don't you?" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "All this trouble must have been caused by that Gerudo thief, Ganondorf! He said, "Give me the Spiritual Stone! Only then will I open the cave for you!"" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Take this stone with you. The stone that man wanted so much, that he cast the curse on me..." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "Though your valiant efforts to break the curse were successful, I was doomed before you started... Yes, I will pass away soon... But do not grieve for me..." — Great Deku Tree (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Spiritual Stone of Fire, also known as the Goron's Ruby, is our race's hidden treasure...." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Why don't you go destroy the monsters inside of the Dodongo's Cavern and prove you're a real man? That way, everybody will be happy again! If you do it, I will give you anything you want, even the Spiritual Stone!" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "My mother gave it to me and said I should give it only to the man who will be my husband. You might call it the Zora's Engagement Ring!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "You! You looked cool...cooler than I thought you would, anyway... Just a little! Well, anyway, you saved me, so I guess I'll reward you. What do you wish? Just tell me... [...] All right! I'll give you my most precious possession: Zora's Sapphire!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Just as the subtitle of the game suggests, this is important for going to the "Tower of Time." If you go inside, Ocarina must have the three soul stones inserted." —Shigeru Miyamoto (The Z-Files)