Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
The Southern Mine is a location in Breath of the Wild.
Features and Overview
The Southern Mine is a small quarry that sits on the road leading to Goron City in west Eldin Canyon. It is denoted as Death Mountain Marker #3. The Mine is nestled in a crag where the Gorons mine for Gems, which are sold and keeps Goron City prosperous. Originally, the Gorons used to mine at the Death Mountain Summit before relocating to the Southern Mine by Bludo's advisory when the Divine Beast Vah Rudania appeared. Amenities for when the Gorons are not mining, including tarp tents and a lit Cooking Pot, are set up for use between shifts. A number of Ore Deposits can be found around the Mine, which can be broken to yield Gems. The Mine also has a high abundance of Fireproof Lizards, some of which can be found hiding beneath rocks.
During the day, the Gorons Dorill, Jengo and Greyson mine for Gems, while the Goron children Axyl and Pelison play. The elderly Goron Bohrin sleeps through the day beneath a tarp, before waking up at night to work the night shift while the other Gorons rest. A Hylian man named Kima can also be found at the Mine, wearing a Flamebreaker Helm to protect himself from the heat. Kima wants ten Fireproof Lizards as a souvenir, and promises to give Link a Flamebreaker Armor if he brings him enough, initiating the "Fireproof Lizard Roundup" Side Quest.
One of the Goron miners, Greyson, expresses that he is tired of mining and desires a job where he could use his strength to make an actual difference. As part of the "From the Ground Up" Side Quest, he can be invited to move to Tarrey Town in Akkala to help Hudson demolish its boulders. Greyson leaves with his brother Pelison, leaving the other Gorons to work at the Mine.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||南採掘場 (Minami Saikutsuba)||South Mining Site|
- "Death Mountain Marker #3
Southern Mine" — Sign (Breath of the Wild)
- "The reason Goron City is so prosperous is because of all the work we do." — Dorill (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm a proud Goron of Goron City. If we dig up ore like this, Goron City will prosper. Everyone wins!" — Jengo (Breath of the Wild)
- "We sell the ore we pull from the ground. Our home, Goron City, profits from that." — Bohrin (Breath of the Wild)
- "We used to mine by the summit, but with that lizard monster launchin' those magma bombs at everything... We just decided to make the most outta diggin' here." — Bohrin (Breath of the Wild)
- "We're diggin' this site out under direct orders from the Boss of Goron City. No time to chat! Gotta dig!" — Dorill (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm goin' to sleep now. I work the night shift, so if I don't rest now, it'll be tough to get through the night." — Bohrin (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm on my way back from Goron City but forgot to buy souvenirs. I wanted to capture some of those fireproof lizards that live here on Death Mountain, but those suckers are quick. Say you look pretty speedy. I bet you could catch a ton! If you bring me 10, I'll even give you some heat-resistant armor." — Kima (Breath of the Wild)
- "I'm a digger here, as you can see. I dig and I dig... Day in and day out... To be honest, I'm sick of it. I feel like...maybe I'm not meant to toil away in obscurity like this. *sigh* Is there a job out there for me that'd let me use my strength to make a difference?" — Greyson (Breath of the Wild)