Martha is a character in Link's Awakening.
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Martha is a mermaid who inhabits Martha's Bay, the body of water on Koholint Island that is named after her. Schule Donavitch made a statue of her called "The Mourning Mermaid," which is placed near Martha's Bay, although it is not complete. She asks Link to retrieve her lost necklace that was taken away by the waves. When Link returns her the necklace, she rewards him with one of her scales. Link can place the scale on The Mourning Mermaid statue to reveal a hidden passage where he finds the Magnifying Lens.
In the Japanese, French, and German versions of the game, Link instead had to find her lost bikini top. This was most likely deemed too racy and was changed in the American version.
- "An artist once asked me to pose for him, and he wanted a scale, too... Can the legend of the Magnifying Lens be true...?" — Martha (Link's Awakening DX)
- "THE MOURNING MERMAID By SCHULE ? ...A scale is missing..." — The Mourning Mermaid (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Ya, I am Schule Donavitch! Zee mermaid statue by zee bay iz my masterpiece! ... To tell you zee truth, zis werk iz not complete! Zee art, it'z... difficult for you to grasp, iz it not?" — Scule Donavitch (Link's Awakening DX)
- "When I was swimming in the bay, the waves took a very important necklace from around my neck! If you find it, I will let you take a scale from my tail!" — Martha (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Ahh! That's it! That's my necklace! Give it! Give it back! I will give you a scale as I said!" — Martha (Link's Awakening DX)
- "[...]she originally lost her top in the Japanese version, which is why she looks and acts so flustered. This is also why she's so quick to flee when Link tries to take a peek while diving." — Link's Awakening Cache: Unused Parts, fobby.net.