Zora's Domain,(OoT | TP | ALBW | BotW) also known as the Land of the Zoras,(OoT) is a recurring location in The Legend of Zelda series. It is based on Zora's Waterfall from A Link to the Past. It serves as the home of the aquatic race known as the Zora.
Features and Overview
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Zora's Domain is located in the northeast section of Hyrule and is home to King Zora and his daughter, Princess Ruto. It consists of a large cavernous area mostly filled with water, with a large waterfall flowing from the top into the lower area. Its source of water comes from Zora's Fountain, to which its closely linked to. The only ways to access the domain is from Zora's River or from a secret entrance hidden underwater in Lake Hylia; however, only members of the Royal Family of Hyrule are allowed to enter. To enter via Zora's River, Link will need to play "Zelda's Lullaby" in front of the seemingly impassable waterfall at the end of the river to prove his connection to the Royal Family. This will cause the waterfall to momentarily split in two, allowing the young hero to access Zora's Domain.
Link's first visit to the domain is called upon during his search for the third Spiritual Stone, the Zora's Sapphire. He ventures Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly in Zora's Fountain to rescue Princess Ruto, receiving the Spiritual Stone in return. Seven years later, after Link awakens from having pulled the Master Sword from its pedestal, the young hero returns to Zora's Domain to find it completely frozen over; moreover, the Lake Hylia entrance has been blocked by ice. The only Zoras that inhabit it are the King Zora and the shopkeeper of the Zora Shop, and both of them are frozen over by Red Ice, which only Blue Fire can melt. Sheik explains that the ice is caused by an evil curse, and the source of the curse is Morpha, a monster in the Water Temple. The only way to restore Zora's Domain to its natural state is by destroying Morpha; thus, Link ventures to the Water Temple where, with the aid of Princess Ruto, the source of the curse is shut off. Princess Ruto, awakening as the Sage of Water, thanks Link for his help and reassures him that Zora's Domain and its people will eventually return to their original state.
In Twilight Princess, Zora's Domain is located in the Lanayru Province, and it serves as Hyrule's source of water. The waterflow comes from the throne room, situated above the domain. From here, the water streams into the rest of the village, forming the Zora's Waterfall and continuing its path to Upper Zora's River and eventually reaching Lake Hylia. Zora's Domain is also connected to Snowpeak, and it is the only way to access that region other than Warping. Link can easily access the throne room by asking one of the Zoras near the waterfall to take him upstream.
When Link first visits Zora's Domain, he finds that it has been completely frozen over and all the Zoras have been trapped under the thick sheet of ice. Since the domain is frozen, Zora's River has dried up as well as Lake Hylia. Link must warp a Molten Shard from Death Mountain with the help of Midna and drop it into the throne room, which will cause the ice to shatter and allow the water to flow again. With Zora's Domain now unfrozen and its people safe, Wolf Link and Midna begin to head out of the throne room when Rutela makes an apparition before them. She stops them on their way and thanks them for saving her village and her people. She informs them the tale of her unfortunate fate and asks the young hero to save her son, Ralis, in return for the Zora Armor, which is necessary to enter the Lakebed Temple.
Later on in the game, after Link obtains the Coral Earring from Prince Ralis, the young hero must revisit Zora's Domain to fish in an area known as the Mother-and-Child Rocks. It is here that the Reekfish dwell, a rare fish specimen unique to the Zora village. Once Link manages to catch a Reekfish, he will be able to pick up the Reekfish Scent that is necessary to navigate through Snowpeak.
After Link obtains the Water Bombs and Zora Armor, he can sink to the bottom of the throne room and blow up the shard, releasing a Goron that was trapped in it. By speaking to him, Link will receive a Bomb Bag. Eventually, Prince Ralis will return to Zora's Domain and sit in the throne room in place of his mother.
Zora's Domain is last seen during the ending credits, showing Queen Rutela looking over her son.
A Link Between Worlds
Zora's Domain appears again in A Link Between Worlds as the abode of Queen Oren and her Underlings. When Link first visits Zora's Domain, he bumps into the Shady Guy, who has stolen Oren's Smooth Gem. This causes discord among the Zoras, as Oren begins to uncontrollably bloat without the Smooth Gem. After Link returns the stolen Smooth Gem, Oren gives the young hero the Zora's Flippers out of gratitude.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, Zora's Domain is located in the Lanayru Region next to the Akkala Region. The Domain is ruled by the family of King Dorephan and his son Sidon. Their princess who was a sister to the prince and daughter to the king was Mipha, who was also a deceased Zora Champion of Hyrule, tasked to pilot the Divine Beast Vah Ruta.
- According to an interview given by Shigeru Miyamoto to Nintendo Power for their 100th issue, an area called "Zola Lake" was planned to be included in Ocarina of Time. This may have been during the phase of development where Zoras were still Enemies, and was instead converted into the more village-like Zora's Domain.
- Although Zora's Domain does not appear in The Wind Waker, Laruto's Figurine states that she was born there prior to the Great Flood.
|Names in Other Regions|
|ChineseSI|| 卓拉的故里 (Zhuólā de Gùlǐ)
卓拉领地 (Zhuólā Lǐngdì) (BotW)
| Zora Village|
|ChineseTR||卓拉領地 (Zhuólā Lǐngdì)||Zora's Domain|
|FrenchCA||Domaine des Zoras (OoT3D | ALBW)||Zora's Domain|
|FrenchEU|| Domaine Zora (BotW)
| Zora's Domain|
Dorf des Zoras (BotW)
| Zora's Kingdom|
|Italian||Villaggio degli Zora||Zora Village|
|Korean||조라의 마을 (Joraui Maeul)||Zora Village|
|Russian||Владения зора (Vladeniya zora)||Zora's Domain|
|Spanish||Región de los Zora||Zora's Region|
- "Zora's Domain" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 110 (OoT) & 112 (TP))
- "Zora's Domain Land of the Zoras" — TBD (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "The Zoras come from Zora's Domain in northeast Hyrule." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Just ahead lies Zora's Domain. The Zoras serve Hyrule's Royal Family by protecting this water source. Their door will not open for anyone except those who have some connection with the Royal Family." — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time)
- "I'm sure you've already seen it! Zora's Domain--totally frozen! A young man named Sheik saved me from under the ice... But my father and the other Zoras have not...yet..." — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "This ice is created by an evil curse... The monster in the Water Temple is the source of the curse. Unless you shut off the source, this ice will never melt.... If you have courage enough to confront the danger and save the Zoras, I will teach you the melody that leads to the temple." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "Zora's Domain and its people will eventually return to their original state." — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "So, what do you think? Is it not a splendid waterfall? This one is the largest in our domain. And this waterfall flows directly from the throne room. If you would like, I can take you there." — Zora (Twilight Princess)
- "We've had absolutely no water flowing from upstream... There's no mistaking it. Something must have happened at the water's source in our home, Zora's Domain." — A Zora (Twilight Princess)
- "Wait! Please, you must allow me to thank you for revitalizing both my people and this spring, which is the water source for all the lands of Hyrule." — Queen Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "Please... Would you save my dearest, Prince Ralis? If you do this thing, I will bestow upon you the protection of water. This power will grant you the ability to swim and respire in very deep water as if you were a Zora." — Queen Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- "The reekfish can be found near the Mother-and-Child Rocks in the waterfall basin near my village." — Prince Ralis (Twilight Princess)
- "It must be a reekfish. That is a rare specimen found only in the Zora village." — Prince Ralis (Twilight Princess)
- "You have my undying gratitude, young hero. You are truly among the very best of your people. Now there is more for you to do, if I am to get back home to MY people. The Zoras are surely worried." — Oren (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Miyamoto also described several areas, mentioning mountains, valleys, a deep "fairy" forest, and the mythical Zola Lake" (Nintendo Power Volume 100 (Nintendo Power), pg. 15)
- "Birthplace: Zora's Domain. Long, long ago the Zora sage, Laruto, offered up her prayers in the Earth Temple so that the Master Sword would continue to house the power to repel evil." — Laruto's Figurine (The Wind Waker)
|Regions in Ocarina of Time|
Click on a location
|Hyrule in Twilight Princess|
|Click on a location|