Zora River,(BotW) also known as Zora's River,(OoT | TP | LCT) is a recurring location in the The Legend of Zelda series. It is one of the main bodies of water in Hyrule, with its water source being either Zora's Domain or Zora's Fountain.
Features and Overview
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, water from Zora's River flows from Zora's Fountain, which serves as the water source of all Hyrule. While the region known as Zora's River consists of a region of the river to the east, the river itself continues throughout Hyrule Field. Eventually, the water of Zora's River reaches Lake Hylia, passing through Gerudo Valley in the process. At the northern section of the river is the Sleepless Waterfall, a seemingly impassable waterfall that protects the entrance to Zora's Domain. Zora's River is accessible either by Hyrule Field or through an underwater portal located in the Lost Woods.
A few bridges are built over the river for easy traversing. Its waters, however, are infested with monsters such as Octoroks and Blue Tektites. On the way to the Sleepless Waterfall is a group of frogs collectively known as the Fabulous Five Froggish Tenors, although they disappear when Link returns to the river seven years later.
Twilight Princess portrays Zora's River in possibly its largest incarnation thus far. The water from Zora's River comes from the throne room in Zora's Domain. It flows down to a section known as the Upper Zora's River, and from there the water splits into three branches. One branch flows into north Hyrule Field, and the other two wind down through an area known as the Rapids Ride. The latter branches serve as the water source for Lake Hylia, which is where the river ends. However, these parts of the river are not accessible by foot and can only be reached by canoe or by riding a Kargarok. Due to its immense length, the river serves as the location of two mini-games: Iza's Rapid Ride and the Fruit Pop Flight Challenge. Going against the rapids involves the Fruit Pop Flight Challenge, using a Kargarok for flight. Going downstream involves traversing the Rapid Ride in a kayak (similar to the one used in Lure Fishing).
When Link as a wolf first visits the Lanayru Province while it is covered in Twilight, he finds out that the Zora's River has dried up since Zora's Domain has completely frozen over. As such, Lake Hylia has dried up as well, threatening the lifestyle of the Zora people and impeding them from returning upstream. To get to Zora's Domain, Link has to ride a Shadow Kargarok through the dried-up river. Upon reaching Upper Zora's River, Link will discover that the Zoras' entire domain has frozen over, and it is not until Midna warps a volcanic rock from Death Mountain into the Zoras' throne room that the ice will melt and the water will begin to flow again. Later, he must travel to Upper Zora's River by Shadow Kargarok a second time to defeat the Shadow Insects along the route and obtain their Tears of Light.
Upper Zora's River
Upper Zora's River is the location of one of Link's early battles with the Shadow Beasts in Hylian form. When they fall from the Twilight Portal, Iza, the owner of the boat rental shop, who is standing nearby, will give a scream. After the young hero defeats the shadowy messengers, she will be impressed by Link's bravery and let him into her hut. Once inside, she will request that Link aid her by clearing the river downstream of a rockfall preventing it from flowing. If he agrees to remove the debris that has clogged the flow of the river, Iza will lend Link a Bomb Bag and fill up his quiver with arrows. By shooting the rocks that are visible from the hut's interior, the young hero will be able to row down the rapids and clear the rest of the rocks that are blocking the waterflow. Once Link reaches Lake Hylia, Iza's assistant, a Zora who guides the young hero through the rapids, will allow the young hero to keep the Bomb Bag that Iza lent him. After clearing the river and returning to Upper Zora's River, Link can play the Rapid Ride minigame, where he will again use Bomb Arrows to hit targets, but instead of rocks, Iza has placed large pots for him to destroy, allowing Link to win a Giant Bomb Bag if he scores 25 or more points.
Iza's sister, Hena, also resides in Upper Zora's River. Hena runs a Fishing Hole where Link can go Fishing. Link can bobber fish without charge in the Fishing Hole, or he can rent a canoe from Hena for a small charge and go lure fishing instead. Hena also gives Link a chance to test his skills in the game of Rollgoal, which she invented herself.
Additionally, a Howling Stone can be found in this area.
- Until Link plays "Zelda's Lullaby" at the Sleepless Waterfall in Ocarina of Time, Kaepora Gaebora will constantly reappear near the entrance of Zora's River and instruct him to play the aforementioned song whenever Link moves far away enough to reload him or leaves Zora's River and returns.
- In Twilight Princess, the Rapids Ride part of Zora's River passes through the Eldin Province and under the Bridge of Eldin. Despite this, the map labels it as part of the Lanayru Province.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ゾーラ川 (Zōra Gawa) (BotW)||Zōra River|
|ChineseSI||卓拉河 (Zhuólā Hé)||Zora River|
|ChineseTR||卓拉河 (Zhuólā Hé)||Zora River|
|Korean||조라강 (Jora Gang)||Zora River|
|SpanishEU||Río zora (BotW)
Río Zora(OoT3D | TP)
|Same as English.|
|SpanishLA||Río Zora||Zora River|
- "Zora River" — Map (Breath of the Wild)
- "Zora's River" — N/A (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- "All of the water in Hyrule flows from Zora's Fountain. That water flows through Zora's River, which eventually reaches Lake Hylia to the south." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Sleepless Waterfall / The flow of this waterfall serves the King of Hyrule. When the King slumbers, so too do these falls." — Inscription (Ocarina of Time)
- "At this rate, the lake will most definitely vanish if we don't somehow get water from Zora's Domain upstream..." — Zora (Twilight Princess)
- "YAAAH!" — Iza (Twilight Princess)
- "Whoa, that scared me... [...] How can you keep your cool fighting monsters like that? [..] Wow, what a champ you are!" — Iza (Twilight Princess)
- "Well, what are we standing around jawing for? Come on inside!" — Iza (Twilight Princess)
- "Well, I USED to rent boats here, but then we had a rockfall and it dammed the river up. Yeah... I could sure use a helpful guy around at times like this... Yup, a handy guy would sure be a big help around here." — Iza (Twilight Princess)
- "I'll give you some bombs and arrows, so you just put 'em together and shoot bomb arrows at that thing." — Iza (Twilight Princess)
- "It's all right. I'll let her know you kept it when I get back." — Iza's Part-time Worker (Twilight Princess)
- "Congratulations! As the first customer to score at least 25 points, you receive this prize!" — Iza's Part-time Worker (Twilight Princess)
- "Fishing Hole / Bobber fishing open to public." — Sign (Twilight Princess)
- "It's 20 Rupees to try some lure fishing. There's no time limit, and the canoe rental's included!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "Ooh, that caught your eye, did it? I made that game, y'know! I gave it a really fun name, too...ROLLGOAL!" — Hena (Twilight Princess)
- "Hoo hoo! Looks like you've gotten bigger and stronger already, Link! Just ahead lies Zora's Domain. The Zoras serve Hyrule's Royal Family by protecting this water source. Their door will not open for anyone except those who have some connection with the Royal Family. Let them hear the melody of the Royal Family! Hooo hoo hoooot!" — Kaepora Gaebora (Ocarina of Time 3D)