Zelda Wiki:Milk Bar/Archive 5
- 1 Coding error?
- 2 Public domain
- 3 Ads
- 4 A VERY ODD REQUEST
- 5 “harmful” edit barely harmful
- 6 Super Software Master Needs Your Password
- 7 Termina Page Canon Issue
- 8 Emulator
- 9 Uploading transparent .png's?
- 10 Userbox Container
- 11 "This action has been identified as harmful." What? No it's not.
- 12 Problems with Skyward Sword.
- 13 Userbox request
- 14 .ogg Files
- 15 Blacklist problem
- 16 Popular Pages
- 17 Username
- 18 503 Forbidden Errors
- 19 Minor Edits
On several pages, dark blue text has taken up the first half of the screen, where the top bar that lists (User name), My talk, My preferences, My watchlist, My contributions, and Log out is.
I'm not sure whether this is a coding error or just a bug on my computer. It's not affecting the editing and sometimes it goes away as soon as I move to another page. I'm just putting it here because it's annoying and messes up the screen view. Don't rush to fix it; it's fine. —Darkness(Talk) 22:57, 18 December 2012 (UTC)
- You shouldn't see errors like that anymore. It seems I forgot to disable that when I was fixing up a problem with the upload form. Sorry for the inconvenience. — Abdullah [T] [C] [S] 16:54, 20 December 2012 (UTC)
I noticed that while there are several licensing options for images, there is no public domain option. There are several public domain images currently uploaded (e.g. flags, and the copyright symbol itself). It wouldn't be used that often, but it would still see some use. Also, since this is also on the topic of changing the dropdown boxes when uploading files, I've proposed changes to the games dropdown on MediaWiki talk:UploadField-select-Game. Currently, when I upload images from the unlisted games I have to edit the file after uploading, which is just an unnecessary extra step. --SnorlaxMonster 10:27, 1 January 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah, we could definitely use a "Public Domain" licensing template. I can think of two more uses for it: File:No Image.png and File:Default.png. — Hylian King [*] 20:33, 2 January 2013 (UTC)
After a short break from the wiki, I returned to find large box ads distorting the wiki. The small, greenish linking ads were bad enough, but now we have huge ads advertising talent sites, how to obtain "true redundancy", and a sweatshirt with courage and wisdom. Also, an ad for a shooting game and various computer games. I know this topic has come up before, but that was about the smaller ones. Those were hard to avoid on a tablet, but on a computer, looked fine and didn't really annoy me. But, as seen on other Zelda wikis, box ads destroy the site. They ruin the appearance and distort the features. I don't see any reason to have them up. —Darkness(Talk) 21:49, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
- The reason to have them up is because we plan to take the annoying greenish linking ads down, or at very least reduce the amount. We're still working out the kinks, but the fact is banner ads are more efficient and less invasive. And unless some rich dude decides he wants to pay Zelda Wiki's server bills out of his/her own pocket, I'm afraid ads are a must. Heck, I don't like it either, but that's the way it is. It's really out of our hands.
- Do not think this decision was made on a whim, that it was done without weighing the pros and cons first. If we did not believe this was best for the wiki, we wouldn't have done it. But it is, and so we did. Who knows? With the extra funds, we might be able to host an event or a contest of our own. — Hylian King [*] 22:06, 23 January 2013 (UTC)
- What HK said. I didn't like it, either, but the point is that the text ads were invasive and just plain unprofitable. I'd rather have gross ads and still be able to edit than have no ads and watch ZW disappear when no one can pay the bills. We talked about it and agreed upon it on the basis that ZW could use the extra income. Also, I installed them and can say that there are positives: the ads only appear on mainspace pages (articles) and will never appear in the recent changes, templates, image pages, or anything else. That's far better than those nasty green ads which kept appearing in templates and generally everywhere.User:Justin/sig 01:57, 24 January 2013 (UTC)
Is there any way to "block" certain ads from appearing? Ads for "Dating 1000000 Cute Asian Ladies" continue to pop up, and, as I now use the wiki from my iPad, it's unavoidable that sometimes my finger will slide and the ad will load. It gets VERY annoying.
- Pretty sure it's a mobile thing. It gets recognized as a phone number because it's seven digits long. If you click on it it'll try to call "1000000". There's probably a way to disable that. I'll look into it.
- We are well aware that some of the ads that appear on the wiki are not appropriate for our site. The blocking has to be done from the server side so I'll try to get in contact with Jason and see if we can get this sorted out. In the meantime, you're welcome to try filing a complaint with the ad company if you feel the ad is not family friendly (they do have a policy on the matter). — Hylian King [*] 01:30, 3 February 2013 (UTC)
A VERY ODD REQUEST
Hey everyone as some of you may know I've been working on the Zelda's Adventure's dungeons as of late and ran into a bit of an odd problem. While trying to obtain images of every enemy in the game I the sources I go to didn't activate a trap in the Shrine of Air that would summon Voltas. The trap is the push the block puzzle where if you push the bottom block it clears the path of the floor spike but the top is a trap. Well as it would seem this is the only place in the GAME with Voltas in it so heres the thing, I need someone/anyone who has a CD-i and Zelda's Adventure to spring the trap and get a picture of the Voltas. This can be either a screen cap or a regular photo I'm not picky. While I know even admitting you KNOW someone who owns this game is a black dot on your Zelda image and uploading the image here would let the communtiy know you own it, I'm willing to spare you the shame by allowing you to email the pic at TheBMovieMaster[at]gmail[dot]com and I'll post the pic. Thanks in advance :D --Shadow Reaper 12:38, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
“harmful” edit barely harmful
Sheik has a  link. It was linking to the paragraph about Sheik’s sex. The section title was changed, but the link wasn’t. I tried to fix it, but got this:
Warning: This action has been automatically identified as harmful. Unconstructive edits will be quickly reverted, and egregious or repeated unconstructive editing will result in your account or computer being blocked. If you believe this edit to be constructive, you may click Submit again to confirm it. A brief description of the abuse rule which your action matched is: Adding inappropriate text
So, would anyone mind fixing that? --Kwpolska 15:36, 5 February 2013 (UTC)
Super Software Master Needs Your Password
Whenever I try to sign into ZW on a certain computer, I get a box that says this:
Supper Software Master Wants Your Pasword! (Fake Firefox Logo here) To acess this web page, Super Software Master needs your password. Please type in you password below.
I'm guessing that it is phishing, and, yes, all of the misspellings were there originally. I most often just force quit FireFox, try again and..? It's still there. It has been happening for a few days on two of our family computers. My iPad works just fine, but, I sometimes NEED to use those computers for ZW, and, I was wondering whether it is all on our computers or not. Any way I can prevent this from happening, as it blocks all access to ZW unless I create a new account? —Darkness(Talk) 01:50, 9 February 2013 (UTC)
- Sounds like you've got some spyware on your computer. Zelda Wiki will never ask for you password outside the login screen. Anyway, you'll want to try some Antivirus/anti-spyware program. "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware" is a free tool that usually does a good job. If that doesn't help, you may want to run "HijackThis" and upload the log on a security forum. Those guys tend to be nice and helpful. — Abdullah [T] [C] [S] 11:09, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
Termina Page Canon Issue
On the Termina page, it states that Termina is a parallel world to Hyrule. I do not believe this is canon, just a well believed theory. I just have never see it stated in-game or it confirmed in any other game. Can someone explain this to me or have that page edited?SplashCity64 01:58, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
- If you look at the first reference on the Termina page you'll see that it's been stated in the Majora's Mask manual. It's mentioned several times in Hyrule Historia as well. — Hylian King [*] 02:06, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
Does anyone know a good emulator that will run the Philips CD-i games? I'm looking for one that will run the entire game of Zelda's Adventure. I've never downloaded an emulator before so any advice will be greatly appreciated (other then don't play the game you fool). Thanks --Shadow Reaper 17:51, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
- I haven't been able to run ZA, either. I think there's only one ROM of it out there and it appears to be faulty. Either that or there's something wrong with cdiemu, which to my knowledge is the only decent CD-i emulator out there. :( — Hylian King [*] 19:27, 10 February 2013 (UTC)
Uploading transparent .png's?
I've been trying to help out with the Image Requests by making some of them transparent, but whenever I try to upload a new version of the picture, it gives me this Upload Warning: "File extension does not match MIME type."
I checked the "Ignore Warning" box, but that doesn't help. How do I upload these .png's?
Nicktheslayer 12:42, 13 February 2013 (UTC)
- It's probably because the file is a JPG. You can't upload PNGs over JPGs because the file extension is different. You'll have to upload the PNG as a new file, then replace all instances of the old JPG on the wiki, then tag it as a superseded image with Template:Imdel. — Hylian King [*] 13:00, 13 February 2013 (UTC)
- I'm having this problem, too. I've checked the file extension and they match. I can't upload anything at all because of this problem- however, I only get it on my iPad. Is this a known problem with mobile devices? I have downloaded various applications to change the file type and view the file type, and this doesn't work. Most of all, even if I upload an entirely new file, it's still the wrong MIME type. —Darkness(Talk) 01:45, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
I tried to put my userboxes in a container but it didn't work. It just had a red link above the boxes. I followed the Help Guides example but that didn't work either. Could someone help me? --Person777 01:29, 25 February 2013 (UTC)
"This action has been identified as harmful." What? No it's not.
I'm trying to fix a mistake in the Big Octo article, but it keeps saying that I'm trying to add inappropriate text, when I'm clearly not. I'd re-post what I'm trying to edit, but for some reason, it keeps getting filtered out here too. This is excruciatingly annoying, and it would be just lovely if someone could help me out. Lordgeorge16 01:45, 27 February 2013 (UTC)
- Unfortunately, the wiki has been experiencing a high level of vandalism lately. Because of that, we've had to take aggressive countermeasures with our edit filters even though it would trigger false positives sometimes, as is the case here. The filter only applies to accounts under a day old so you should be able to edit the Big Octo page just fine this time tomorrow.
- Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll have the filter taken off as soon as the vandalism dies down. I'll also talk to the other staff about reducing the timer on the filter to less than 24 hours. In the meantime, if this mistake is really grinding your gears I'd gladly fix it for you, if you would be so kind as to point it out. :) — Hylian King [*] 02:14, 27 February 2013 (UTC)
I'll try to tell you what I want fixed, but if the filter acts up again, it'll probably have to wait. In the "The Wind Waker" section of the article, there's a statement in there that says "Link then lands in a random area in the Great Sea", in reference to what happens when a Big Octo swallows you up. This information is false, as every time I got swallowed up and spit out by a Big Octo, I always landed in the same spot within the sector that I fought the Big Octo in.
Oh hey, it worked! Lordgeorge16 11:38, 27 February 2013 (UTC)
- Done. If it's not to your liking you'll be able to change it yourself in a couple hours. :P
Looks good to me. Thanks! Lordgeorge16 22:40, 27 February 2013 (UTC)
Problems with Skyward Sword.
OK.. I'm new here, so I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, so... I just need some help, OK? So, I'm at the point where you have to jump off the Goddess Statue into the middle of the platform. The problem is, I look at the controls, and it doesn't tell me the main problem with my countless jumps: I CAN"T GO FLIPPING BACKWARDS. It'd be nice if the wiki told an elaborate tutorial on those skydiving controls. HelloBloon 13:51, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
- Even though the wiki isn't suppost to be used for walkthroughts that particular part drove me insane. So heres what you need to do, merely tilt the controller so you'll land in the middle. Tilt it down slightly to go forward or a lot to go into a dive. Tilt it to the right to go right and left to go left and up to go back. Again try to aim for the middle of the circle as best you can. Hope that helps :P--Shadow Reaper 14:38, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
- For future reference, please use forums to ask questions like this. If you'd like to suggest putting something in an article, use the article's talk page.User:Justin/sig 16:25, 26 March 2013 (UTC)
I'm not sure if this is where you post requests like this, but I'd like a specific Userbox. I'd like the text to be along the lines of "This user is so awesome he beat Dethl without the boomerang". I don't care about the picture, but I think it goes without saying that I don't want an image of Tingle on it. :) --Person777 02:33, 29 March 2013 (UTC)
I've never been able to listen to .ogg files, as it just gives me an error if I click on the gray bar. If I press "Download" below the bar, it gives me a "Safari cannot download this file" error message. I thought it might be a problem with accessing it through a mobile device, but on my other computer, it won't let me use it, either. Is there any way to listen to the file, or is the file type itself not working? —Darkness(Talk) 01:34, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- I can confirm that they work without any issues in Google Chrome, so it seems likely that this is a browser-specific issue. If I'm not mistaken, OGG files are the only type of audio file that can be uploading using MediaWiki, so I don't think there's any way to change the files. Have you tried searching for an OGG plugin or add-on for Safari? Other than downloading a plugin or a new browser, I don't think that there's any way for you to get the files to work properly. Dannyboy601Talk 20:07, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- Microsoft and Apple software doesn't support OGG by default, so neither IE or Safari have a built-in OGG players, unlike Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.
- If you have Java installed on your computer (which you probably do, or should anyway) you can easily fix the problem by clicking on the player, clicking "More..." then selecting "Cortado (Java)" under "Use player." Otherwise you'll have to install a plugin for Quicktime like Danny said (see here for instructions). The Java player's your best bet, though.
- Unfortunately OGG files just flat out don't work on iOS devices, so you can thank Apple for that. — Hylian King [*] 20:45, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
So, I wanted to create a redirect for Stalactite but this triggers a blacklist rule. I tried then to add a whitelist rule, but apart from the fact that I don't have the rights, it triggers the same rule :/ Zeldafan1982 21:06, 28 April 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry about that. We've had to be aggressive with the vandalism countermeasures lately. Anyway, it should be fixed now. — Hylian King [*] 21:39, 28 April 2013 (UTC)
I remember that there was this option at some point (iirc under "Wiki data and tools") that let you view the hits of each page and consequently which of them are the most popular. Was it removed because it didn't work properly? Zeldafan1982 20:19, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
- A while back someone in charge of server maintenance said they disabled it to reduce loading times. The counters would be inaccurate anyway because of the caching software we use (also to reduce load times). — Hylian King [*] 21:18, 1 May 2013 (UTC)
I'm pretty sure I asked this question somewhere but I left the wiki for a while and now I can't remember where I put it. So I'm reposting it here. Is there anyway to change your username? --Person777 21:28, 31 May 2013 (UTC)
- Yep, any admin can do that for you. All we ask is that you think it through carefully before asking. Renaming a user is quite the process for the wiki software. It clogs up the Recent Changes and can cause significant server strain, so we don't want to be renaming people over and over.
- If you want to rename your account, we'll gladly set that up for you, no problem! Just make sure that's the name you want to stick with! :P — Hylian King [*] 00:11, 1 June 2013 (UTC)
- I'd like to change my name to "Planetbox". I use that name for most of my video games, and besides it's easier to remember. I always forget how many 7s are in my name. --Person777 19:51, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you! --Planetbox 22:46, 3 June 2013 (UTC)
503 Forbidden Errors
I frequently get the following error on the site: Error 503 Service Unavailable
Can someone fix this? It also is leading to broken images wiki-wide. Zhane Masaki 07:09, 8 June 2013 (UTC)
- Yes, we're aware of the issues. We're working on fixing them, and we apologize for the inconvenience. This seems to happen every so often, and it takes some time to resolve it. I've made an announcement on the main page regarding the errors, as well.User:Justin/sig 11:25, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
I'd like to know what the point of saying an edit is minor is. I just want to know everything about the wiki so that I won't accidentally break it someday. --Planetbox 22:52, 9 June 2013 (UTC)
- An edit should be marked as "minor" if you're only doing something like correcting spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. Basically, edits which are only small corrections are viable to be minor. Any edit where you add or remove content does not constitute a minor one. Hope this helps!User:Justin/sig 11:07, 10 June 2013 (UTC)