Yerbal from Skyward Sword
Yerbal is an elderly Kikwi with a long mustache and spindly, wooden features. He lives on the Great Tree in Faron Woods, which he climbed up and never came down, thus becoming a Hermit. He spends his day sleeping, and watches over the Woods from the Tree when he is not napping.
When Link manages to reach the Kikwi Hermit, he wakes Yerbal with a shot from his Slingshot. Yerbal is surprised to find a real, live human on the Surface, which he had not seen in a long time. Link explains to Yerbal that he is searching for Farore's Sacred Flame, which is located somehwere in the Faron Woods region. Yerbal mentions that he knows something about the Sacred Flame, but first asks Link if he can keep a secret. Yerbal explains that long ago, when the Goddess still protected the Surface, she gave the Flame to the Water Dragon Faron. He says that her lair is located deep within Lake Floria. Unfortunately, the Hermit notes that the gate leading to the Lake is sealed shut. Yerbal reveals the trick to opening the gate, and bids farewell to the young hero.
- Although Yerbal claims that the Water Dragon Faron's location is a secret, he has actually told many others before of her whereabouts.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ホウジー (Hōjī)||From Japanese tea ほうじ(Houji)|
|German||Einsiedler der Kyu|
Concept art of Yerbal from Hyrule Historia
- "Kikwiiiiiiiiii! Whoozit?! I'm nappin'! Oooh, look at that! A real live human! Haven't seen one of you in a while, kwrrrrrk. They used to call me Yerbal. Now I'm just the old Kikwi hermit. I watch over this forest here...when I'm not nappin'." — Yerbal (Skyward Sword)
- "He is a hermit of the herbivorous Kikwi race. He climbed a tree and never came down, thus becoming a hermit." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 295
- "The flame that you seek...is most likely Farore's Flame. Yes, yes... Farore's Flame... That story begins very long ago, when the goddess was still with us, kwwwrk... The goddess gave the flame to the Water Dragon, a great spirit that presides over Faron Woods. The way I hear it is she left the flame in the care of the Water Dragon so that one day the mighty dragon could pass it on to the “one from the sky"..." — Yerbal (Skyward Sword)
- "Well, that settles that. You must seek out the mighty Water Dragon. Her lair is deep in a lake in the south of these woods, kwwwwwwrk. She watches over the flame there." — Yerbal (Skyward Sword)
- "There's a problem, though. The gate that leads to that lake is sealed shut to all those judged unworthy... But don't worry, kwwwwrk. I'll let you in on the trick to opening the gate. To open the gate, you have to channel the power of the goddess into the symbol carved into its doors, kwwwrk! Oh, but it isn't so simple! The symbol is incomplete. To unlock the gate, you must make the symbol whole. The only way you'll know what the completed symbol should look like is to first find that same completed symbol somewhere else in these woods" — Yerbal (Skyward Sword)
- "Ah, yes... That cackling, old hermit Kikwi told you where I live, didn't he? Honestly, I can't remember how many times I've told that scruffy thing to keep his mouth shut. That's the last straw. Next time I see him, he's dinner!" — Faron (Skyward Sword)