|Family||Irene (granddaughter) (ALBW) |
Lorulean Fortune-Teller (lover) (ALBW)
The Witch is the grandmother and teacher of Irene. She operates the Witch's House near Zora's Domain, where she sells various Potions in exchange for ingredients, though she can sell Link a Red Potion for 50 Rupees without ingredients. If Link speaks to her and tells her he is simply saying "hello," the Witch will give the young hero a taste of her Potion, which restores 8 Hearts.
After Link obtains all three Pendants of Virtue, Irene goes missing. If Link visits the Witch's shop, she will tell the young hero that Irene was attacked by Yuga and transformed into a Painting. She tells Link that she keeps herself busy to prevent herself from worrying too much about her granddaughter. When Irene is rescued, the Witch thanks Link and says she is forever indebted to the young hero.
The Witch had a crush on the Fortune-Teller, and had once brewed him a Potion when he was sick, and had left it in his mailbox out of shyness. Her heart however was broken when he told her during a reading that the man she fancies does not return her affections.
The Witch's Lorulean counterpart is given the name Mapes. She can be found north of the Lorulean Blacksmith's house within the Fortune-Teller's tent. She differs from Hyrule's Witch in that she wears a red mask, implying that she may be a Masked Follower. She brags to Link about and appears to be obsessed with her lover, the Fortune-Teller, indicating that unlike her Hyrulean counterpart, she managed to form a significant relationship with him. The Fortune-Teller affectionately calls her "Mapes". Because of her relationship, she considers herself the most fortunate witch around.
Mapes tells Link that her fortune said that she will have good luck if she makes Purple Potion, but she admits her reluctance because of the ingredients found in the Potion. Similarly to the Blacksmith's Wife with Gulley, the Lorulean Witch has no knowledge of Irene.
- The Witch bears many similarities to Syrup, who is also a teacher of a young witch and also lives in a Witch's House.
- The Lorulean Witch's given name of "Mapes" may also be an affectionate form of the name Maple, possibly in reference to Syrup's apprentice.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "OK, WELL... You've heard about the witch, right? That old crone used to have a little bit of a thing for the fortune-teller. And you know how THAT goes. It just wasn't in the cards...or the crystal ball, I guess! When the fortune-teller got sick, she brewed him up a potion. Nothing better than homemade stuff, ya know? But she dropped it off in his mailbox on the sly. Bashful, that old girl. Warms the heart. Truly does. Ha! So then, later on, the witch actually goes and visits the fortune-teller to get her fortune, right? Well, I'm not one to gossip... [What happened?] So, the witch is at the fortune-teller's place--you've been there, yeah? So he does a show with his hands and says, "But I see... I see...a man that you fancy! His face is cloudy..." "He does not return your affections! There is no future for the two of you." You believe that? What a fool! He couldn't even tell that he was looking at himself! That poor woman... Never thought I'd feel bad for a witch! Now you've heard it. Go on, now. That gossip ain't gonna spread itself!" — Rumor Guy (A Link Between Worlds)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 300(ALBW)
- "Oh, c'mon, Mapes. You know how I can't stand compliments... Unless you say them right. I'm the MOST handsome and talented. Why, I'm the foremost fortune-teller in this world or any other!" — Fortune-Teller (A Link Between Worlds)
- "These are my deluxe potions. But I've been having trouble getting the right ingredients lately... I can only make you a red potion for now. That is, unless you bring me the necessary bits and pieces." — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh, heavens! My dear grandchild Irene was snatched! It happened so fast! some awful man came through, very full of himself, and transformed her into...a painting! I-I-I was flummoxed! I just stood there helpless! Oh, my dear granddaughter--GONE! And she'd just been saying how she'd made a new friend of late... I know, I know... This isn't the time to be mixing potions like nothing's wrong... But I just can't calm down if I'm not keeping busy..." — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I keep myself busy with my potions, or else I find myself fussing over my granddaughter Irene too much. So I end up making more potion than I could ever possibly sell. Why don't you have some, you nice boy?" — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Heh hee hee! Have you something to tell me? What! You saved my Irene? Wonder of wonders, is it possible? That dear girl. No matter what trouble she gets herself into, she always bounces back with a smirk on her face. My granddaughter and I will be forever indebted to you. Speaking of bouncing back, don't forget about my potions. I'd hate for you to fall in battle out there!" — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "I don't mean to boast about my spicy darling here, but why not? Not like everyone's got a fellow like him. He's handsome AND talented." — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "Oh course you are darling, and I'm the MOST fortunate witch around! Don't you dare nitpick my darling's fortunes. He's always right." — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What is it?" I've got a lot on my mind. My darling read my fortune... It said that I'll have good luck if I make some purple potion. I'd do anything for him, but do you KNOW what that potion is made of? Ack...monster guts!" — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)
- "What is it now? Who's Irene? Does this have something to do with my darling? If not, I don't give a wicked fig!" — Witch (A Link Between Worlds)