Fortress of Winds
After living with the wind for a long time, the tribe gained mastery over it. They eventually abandoned the Wind Ruins and used their wind magic to move their palace to the Cloud Tops and keep it suspended there. They took their Wind Element with them and placed it in the Palace of Winds, guarding its entrance ever since. The tribe constructed Mazaal to repel intruders and guard a stone tablet on top of the Fortress of Winds. The tablet tells those seeking the Wind Element that the tribe moved to the sky and instructs adventurers to use the Ocarina that Zeffa drops.
Early on in Link's adventure, he can do a Kinstone Fusion with Stranger to reach the Cloud Tops via a warp portal in south Hyrule Field. He is warped to a small section of the Cloud Tops in which the ailing Gregal resides; Link cannot venture further until he eventually accesses the Cloud Tops from Veil Falls after first amassing the Four Elements.
Members of the Wind Tribe are very skilled at finding Kinstone pieces, storing what they can manage in chests around their home. This skill may be necessary because they seem to depend on Kinstone Fusion to call winds. Link may fuse kinstones with some of their members, including Gale and Strato found on the bottom floor, Caprice found on the second floor, Flurris found on the third floor, and Hailey found on the fourth floor.
The Wind Tribe seemed to be on good terms with many of the races in Hyrule before leaving for the sky. They were the favorite people of Gustaf, an ancient king of Hyrule, and the Minish built Armos statues for them long ago.
Though they resemble typical Humans, all members of the Wind Tribe have an innate ability to walk on clouds, though Hailey implies this may be a result of having pure hearts. In addition, each of them has red-colored hair.
|The Wind Tribe (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
The Wind Tribe
|The people who built the Wind Ruins. They now live above the clouds, suspended by their own magic ability to control the wind.|
- Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword also feature races that live in the sky, the Oocca in City in the Sky and the Hylians in Skyloft, respectively. Much like the Skyloftian people, the Wind Tribe also sometimes refer to the land below as the Surface.
- The members of the Wind Tribe all have red hair, a trait they share with the Gerudo. Groose is another resident of the Sky with red hair.
- Like many other races in The Legend of Zelda series, the names of many of the Wind Tribe members fit a theme. In this case, the members of the Wind Tribe are related to weather:
- A siroc is a cold Mediterranean wind.
- Gregal comes from Gregale, a hot Mediterranean wind.
- A caprice is a sudden, unexpected change. A caprice can occur in weather.
- A gale is a very strong wind.
- Hailey comes from hail, which is precipitated lumps of ice.
- Flurris comes from snow flurry, which is a brief snow shower.
- Strato is a shortened form of stratosphere, the layer of the Earth's atmosphere just above the troposphere. The troposphere contains the majority of clouds, so Strato's name may literally mean "above the clouds."
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 52
- "We are the Tribe of the Winds. Long have we lived with the winds. We have mastered them. Now, we join them. Those who come seeking our power must play the notes Zeffa teaches." — Tablet (The Minish Cap)
- "The people who built the Wind Ruins. They now live above the clouds, suspended by their own magic ability to control the wind." — Wind Tribe Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "Although we are of the Wind Tribe, we, too, once lived on the surface. Once, the place you call the Wind Ruins was, to us, a home." — Caprice (The Minish Cap)
- "Our tribe abandoned the place you call the Wind Ruins... With our magic, we moved our palace up into the skies. We are the Wind Tribe." — Siroc (The Minish Cap)
- "I do believe this is where the Tribe of the Winds once lived. Hm... So they've left for the heavens, and taken their element with them." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "In this tower dwell the people of the Wind Tribe. We left your surface world long ago to serve a greater duty. We now protect the gate to the Palace of Winds, where the Wind Element lies." — Strato (The Minish Cap)
- "The Wind Tribe lives here! They protect the path to the Palace of Winds, where the Wind Element lies!" — Strato (The Minish Cap)
- "This is the home of the Wind Tribe. We left the surface long ago. Now, we guard the entrance to the Palace of Winds... ...In this palace, the Wind Element resides." — ??? (The Minish Cap)
- "Constructed by the Wind Tribe to repel intruders, this sturdy machine cannot be destroyed by any external force." — Mazaal Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "Those who come seeking our power must play the notes Zeffa teaches. May they lead you onward to the power that you seek." — Stone tablet atop the Fortress of Winds (The Minish Cap)
- "We of the Wind Tribe are very skilled at finding Kinstone pieces. So skilled in fact, that we have more of them than we can manage! We can't even store them all. I wish someone would take a few from us." — Flurris (The Minish Cap)
- "I bet if I could just fuse a Kinstone, I could call a good homeward wind..." — Gale (The Minish Cap)
- "He was very fond of the people of the Wind Tribe." — Gustaf Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "Built by the Minish for the Wind Tribe long ago. They look like stone statues, but if you get too close, they move!" — Armos Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- "The leader of the Wind Tribe knows everything happening on the surface by listening to rumors carried by the wind." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 52)
- "We have been watching, and we know all that happens on your surface world. We know a small boy collects elements to lift the curse from a princess. We know of Vaati and his evil acts... The winds tell us these things." — Siroc (The Minish Cap)
- "I've never seen a surface dweller walk on clouds before! You must be quite pure of heart!" — Hailey (The Minish Cap)
- "Some of Father's old texts talks about a place called the surface. The old tales describe a whole world under there, far more vast than Skyloft!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|