We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: TBD -- Update: Fri 10/20 11pm UTC - We have encountered some unexpected issues. Our staff is working around the clock to complete this process as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.
|Attributes||Creator of Koholint|
|Other Media||Hyrule Warriors|
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
The Wind Fish is a character in Link's Awakening. He is a large, flying whale who makes his home atop Mount Tamaranch on Koholint Island, inside of a giant egg. He serves as the main focus of the storyline in Link's Awakening.
The Wind Fish is a deity that created Koholint Island. During the course of Link's Awakening, it is revealed that Koholint Island is a dream of the Wind Fish. He can only be woken with the Eight Instruments of the Sirens. Should the Wind Fish wake, the island and all its inhabitants will vanish; however, Link only learns the true nature of the Wind Fish after the final Nightmare has been defeated.
The Wind Fish is the creator of Koholint Island, a manifestation of land and life seen in his dreams created through the Dreamer's sleep. As the island is just a figment in his dream, the island's inhabitants (with the exception of Marin) are dumbstruck at the idea of land outside of the island's shores. Though how he ended up in the dream is unknown, Link sets out on a mission to awaken the Wind Fish to return to his own world.
Throughout the game, many hints and references about the Wind Fish are told to Link through Koholint Island's native inhabitants. For instance, Marin's song is titled "Ballad of the Wind Fish." The story of the Wind Fish is conveyed most often by a sentient Owl that appears and reveals information about the Dreamer and Koholint Island. Ultimately, the truth of Koholint Island's eventual doom is revealed by an inscription in the Southern Face Shrine, however, the Owl says that none know for sure whether it is true. The Nightmares, who serve as bosses guarding the eight instruments, know the truth about the island, and some try to tell Link about it upon their defeat. However, they also seem to think that Link himself is part of the dream. The Owl himself is revealed to be part of the dream, as he is part of the Wind Fish's soul and guardian of his dreams and the worlds within them.
Early on, Link encounters the Wind Fish's Egg sitting on top of Mount Tamaranch in the Tal Tal Heights region on the northern section of the island. Link is to gather eight instruments found in each of the dungeons and play the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" in front of the egg. This egg also serves as the final dungeon, with the Shadow Nightmares featured as the entity keeping the Wind Fish in its eternal slumber.
Upon completing the game, Link is sent upward into the heavens via a staircase created by the Wind Fish. The Dreamer, who has now awakened, reveals himself to be a giant whale lavishly endorned with cloth, metals, and precious stones. He explains the peril of the island, but ultimately tells Link that all dreams must end. With this statement, the island begins to disappear and Link is seen floating on a piece of his wrecked ship. While contemplating if it was only a dream, he looks up to see the Wind Fish flying off into the distance with a flock of seagulls.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||かぜのさかな (Kaze no Sakana)||Wind Fish|
|SpanishLA||Pez Viento||Wind Fish|
- "Hoot! Ho, brave lad, on your quest to wake the dreamer!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoooot! That is an 'Instrument of the Sirens!' I have to admit, at first I did not believe you were real... That Instrument, along with the seven others in the set, has the power to wake the Wind Fish! You must collect them all!" — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "I AM THE WIND FISH... LONG HAS BEEN MY SLUMBER... IN MY DREAMS... AN EGG APPEARED AND WAS SURROUNDED BY AN ISLAND. WITH PEOPLE, ANIMALS, AN ENTIRE WORLD! ... ... ... ..." — Wind Fish (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! Hoot! So you are the lad who owns the sword...Now I understand why the monsters are starting to act so violently... A courageous lad has come to wake the Wind Fish... It is said that you cannot leave the island unless you wake the Wind Fish..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "Hi! Tarin went to the forest to look for toad-stools, but I'd rather sing. Listen to this, it's called the 'Ballad of the Wind Fish.'" — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "TO THE FINDER... THE ISLE OF KOHOLINT, IS BUT AN ILLUSION... HUMAN, MONSTER, SEA, SKY... A SCENE ON THE LID OF A SLEEPER'S EYE... AWAKE THE DREAMER, AND KOHOLINT WILL VANISH MUCH LIKE A BUBBLE ON A NEEDLE... CAST-AWAY, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE TRUTH!" — Southern Face Shrine inscription (Link's Awakening)
- "Hoot! I see you have read the relief... While it does say the island is but a dream of the Wind Fish, no one is really sure... Just as you cannot know if a chest holds treasure until you open it, so you cannot tell if this is a dream until you awaken... The only one who knows for sure is the Wind Fish... Trust your feelings... Someday you will know for sure..." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "TSSSK, TSSSK! You don't ssseem to know what kind of island this iss... KEEE-HEE-HEEE! What a fool... KEE-HEE-HEH!!" — Slime Eel (Link's Awakening)
- "Okay, listen up! If the Wind Fish wakes up, every-thing on this island will be gone forever! And I do mean... EVERYTHING!" — Facade (Link's Awakening)
- "My energy...gone...I...lost! But you will be lost too, if the Wind Fish wakes! Same as me...you...are...in... his... dream..." — Grim Creeper (Link's Awakening)
- "C-C-CRACKLE! Why did you come here? If it weren't for you, nothing would have to change! You cannot wake the Wind Fish! Remember, you...too...are in......the dream..." — Hot Head (Link's Awakening)
- "As part of the Wind Fish's spirit, I am the guardian of his dream world." — Owl (Link's Awakening)
- "We were born of nightmares... To take over this world, we made the Wind Fish sleep endlessly! If the Wind Fish doesn't wake up, this island will never disappear! We would have been masters of this place... But you had to come here and disrupt our plans!" — Shadow Nightmare (Link's Awakening)
- "But, verily, it be the nature of dreams to end! When I dost awaken, Koholint will be gone." — Wind Fish (Link's Awakening)