|This article is a short summary of Wii U.|
NintendoWiki features a more in-depth article.
A Deluxe Set black Wii U
|Media||Wii U optical disc|
Wii optical disc
The Wii U is a Nintendo home console, successor to the Wii. It can output HD graphics up to 1080p, making it Nintendo's first HD console. The Wii U comes with a GamePad which features a touchscreen, gyroscope, microphone, speakers, and a front-facing camera. It also allows games to be played directly to it without using a TV. The console is also backwards compatible with the Wii and has its own Virtual Console library.
An 8GB white Basic Set was released alongside a 32GB black Deluxe Set. A Zelda-themed special limited edition Deluxe Set bundle was also released. It included a black console marked with the Wingcrest and wind symbols in gold, plus a download code for a digital copy of The Wind Waker HD and Hyrule Historia.
The Legend of Zelda Games
The following games can be purchased as physical Wii U optical discs or digitally from the Nintendo eShop. The Wii U version of Breath of the Wild is notable for being the last first-party title published for the console, being released nearly two months after its discontinuation in January of 2017.
- The Wind Waker HD
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
- Hyrule Warriors
- Twilight Princess HD
- Breath of the Wild
Games from the Wii Virtual Console can also be played on the Wii U.
- The Legend of Zelda
- The Adventure of Link
- A Link to the Past
- Ocarina of Time
- Majora's Mask
- The Minish Cap
- Phantom Hourglass
- Spirit Tracks
- Skyward Sword
Prototype Wii U featuring the Zelda HD Experience
|The Wind Waker HD limited edition Wii U unboxing|
- The Wii U is so far the only home Nintendo console to not have a Zelda game made exclusive for it during its lifespan, excluding the remasters of The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess that it recieved as they are enhanced re-releases of older titles. Although Breath of the Wild was designed from the ground up for the Wii U, it ultimately had a Nintendo Switch version developed alongside the Wii U version later during development and was also released for the Nintendo Switch.
- "First! Wii U arrives in US stores in another 66 days. And I won't ask you to do the math. That makes launch day, here in America, Sunday November 18th. Who won the bet?" —Reggie Fils-Aime (Wii U Preview Event: Wii U launch date revealed)
- "Today, I can reveal that Wii U will be available from shops in Europe on November 30th." —Satoru Shibata (Nintendo Direct: Wii U launch date revealed)
- Backwards compatibility, Wii U Official Site - Features.