Hyrule Compendium Entry
White Horses are a special breed of Horses that possess pure-white coats with no mottling. At least two White Horses exist in Breath of the Wild. The first White Horse was owned by Zelda prior to the second Great Calamity. In the Recovered Memory "To Mount Lanayru", Link counseled Zelda to soothe her Horse in order to strengthen her Bond with it. Heeding his advice, Zelda equipped her White Horse with the Royal Bridle and Royal Saddle and rode with Link to the Sanidin Park Ruins atop Safula Hill to speak with him about her plans to visit the Spring of Wisdom. While she was visiting the Park, Toffa's grandfather saw her atop her White Horse and remembered the moment as indescribably beautiful. Following the Great Calamity, Toffa's grandfather came into possession of the Royal Bridle and Saddle, which he passed on to his grandson along with word of the White Horse that once wore them.
At some point, Zelda's White Horse bore a foal which in turn bore a second White Horse. Following Link's Slumber of Restoration, a traveler spotted the second White Horse isolated atop Safula Hill and passed word of it to Toffa at the Outskirt Stable. Wishing to see the White Horse for himself, Toffa asks Link to tame the Horse and return to him after registering it at a Stable, beginning the Side Quest "The Royal White Stallion". If Link tames the Horse and speaks to Toffa before registering it, Toffa will prompt him to register it and return immediately.
Upon successfully showing Toffa the White Horse after registering it, Toffa will give Link the Royal Bridle and Saddle that its grandparent once wore as thanks for completing his request. This completes "The Royal White Stallion" as Toffa automatically equips the Horse Gear to Link's Horse regardless of its Bond with its owner. After completing the Quest, Toffa will inform Link of his fantasy of riding the White Horse with a woman like Zelda.
If the White Horse perishes before Link can register it at a Stable, it will reappear on Safula Hill the following day. Once registered, the White Horse will no longer reappear on Safula Hill if it perishes and can only be brought back by Malanya at his Spring. Additionally, after registering the White Horse at a Stable, no White Horses will subsequently appear on Safula Hill until Link releases it from a Stable.
During the special cutscene that plays after Link completes the "Captured Memories" and "Destroy Ganon" Main Quests, Zelda has a White Horse. During the cutscene, she makes plans to ride her White Horse to Zora's Domain to investigate the source of Divine Beast Vah Ruta's malfunction and to bring closure with King Dorephan over his late daughter. It is unknown if this is a different White Horse to the White Horse that Link can find after his Slumber of Restoration.
- "At first, I wasn't sure if I should outfit him with all of the royal gear. I thought maybe he should have to earn it first. But it works! He wears it like a true natural." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "White Horse" — Hyrule Compendium (Breath of the Wild)
- "The Royal White Stallion" — Adventure Log (Breath of the Wild)
- "A traveler... Tell me, have you seen a pure-white horse anywhere? A long time back, my grandfather told me that he once saw the royal family's white horse grazing on Safula Hill... The thing is...just the other day, one of our customers said he saw a white horse on Safula Hill recently... Could it be a relative of the royal family's white horse from my grandfather's day? Well, if you happen to see a white horse on your travels, do you think you could bring it back to me?" — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- "The white horse on Safula Hill supposedly has a beautiful pure-white coat without any mottling... They say it roams by itself, apart from other groups of horses. If you end up finding it and registering it at a stable, I'd really love to see it. Thanks." — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- ""Be sure to take the time to soothe your mount... That's the only way it will know how you truly feel." Your advice was quite helpful—thank you. This little one and I are getting along quite well now." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "The white horse that Princess Zelda rode. The one my grandfather told me about when I was little... The sight of the princess riding atop the white horse was supposed to be a beauty beyond words... There's no doubt about it, this horse is the grandchild of that horse of long ago. So beautiful... So pure..." — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- "Oh! You— That white horse! You can register that beauty at this stable's reception desk. Go register the white horse and then come right back!" — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- "You can register your horse here at the stable's reception desk! Talk to me again after you've registered your white horse!" — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- "What? You brought the royal family's white horse? Well I'll be... Grandpa wasn't lying! Son, you just made my life. Staying alive in this godforsaken land may just have been worth it after all. I've got a surprise for you. My grandpa handed this down to me, and now I'm handing it down to you. I present to you...the royal family's saddle and bridle! Custom fitted for the white royal horse!" — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- "If I was a bit younger, I would go off on an adventure. I'd ride the white horse with a gal just like the princess!" — Toffa (Breath of the Wild)
- "We'll make our way to Zora's Domain." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "Divine Beast Vah Ruta...looks like it stopped working. Let's investigate the situation." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)
- "Mipha's father... I believe he would like to hear more about her. The least we can do is visit him and offer him some closure." — Zelda (Breath of the Wild)