Today, 9/19, is the 6th Anniversary of Gamepedia's launch. Join us for an all-day Mega Stream on the Gamepedia Twitch channel! In addition, all users who log in during the anniversary week will receive a special achievement.
Vire artwork from the Oracle series
|Spoils||Four Bombs (TLoZ)|
One Rupee (TLoZ)
The Vire is a recurring enemy in The Legend of Zelda series, appearing as an entity made up of Keeses. The Vire tends to live in areas of darkness, like its Keese relatives, and even tends to split into Keese when injured.
The Legend of Zelda
The Legend of Zelda Manual Comment
First encountered in The Legend of Zelda, Vires are large, blue devils, encountered only in labyrinths. When harmed, they split into two red-colored Keeses, which float around the room like regular Keese. After dispatching the red Keeses, if Link exits and immediately returns to a room, the Vires will all be back, since they haven't truly been killed. If it is hurt by an Arrow, the Magical Sword, or any weapon which does at least four damage, it will be defeated without splitting up into Keeses. When defeated, Vires may drop either a Heart, one Rupee, four Bombs or a Clock.[note 1]
In Link's Awakening, these rare and fast flying creatures appear in only the Turtle Rock, swooping down at random to try and harm Link. They fly around shooting Fireballs, which can be blocked with a Sword swipe. After having several projectiles blocked, the Vire will swoop down at Link. Three blows will take it out, and cause it to explode into two Big Keese. The easiest way to defeat these monsters is to use Link's Hookshot. A zap from the Magic Rod kills it without causing it to split.
Appearing in both Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, this red bat plays the role of henchman to both Veran and General Onox, and uses the red Vire design from Link's Awakening. Depending on which game is played first, Vire will begin as an underling of the villain Link is currently up against. Vire also appears at various points during Linked Games to cause various trouble. In both games he is the mini-boss in the sixth dungeon, the Ancient Ruins or the Mermaid's Cave. He will fly around evading Link and firing energy balls at him. After hitting him several times, he will split into two smaller bats. One swipe of Link's Sword takes both bats down.
Vire may be a contraction of the word "Vampire."
|Names in Other Regions|
- If Link defeats 10 enemies without getting hit or teleporting with the Recorder, then the 10th enemy defeated will drop five Rupees. However, if the 10th enemy is defeated with a Bomb, then it will drop four Bombs. If Link defeats 16 enemies without getting hit or teleporting, then the 16th enemy will drop a Fairy. After the 16th enemy, Link must get hit and reset the counter to zero in order to achieve this effect again. Defeating Armoses, Like Likes, Keeses, or Gels will not be counted.
- "Vire" (Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 119 The Legend of Zelda & 216 (OoX))
- "Vire is a devil that controls the Keeses." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 35)
- "When Link cuts it with his sword, it turns into two Keeses." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 35)
- n.a., Forced Drops, redcandle.us, published n.d., retrieved August 17, 2017.
- "Link, look! Those Vires, they're after the Triforce!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "Not if they blow it apart. That one's got a bomb!" — Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "On my way, princess!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "They're getting away! Stop them!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "I got it! Since all of the pieces of the Triforce are magically linked, if you shoot a zap into this one, it'll go through to the others and zap the Vires!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "I hope so. Yes, I think so. Oh, see? This side feels wet and this side--ow!--feels hot. So that means one piece must have fallen somewhere wet, and the other piece is somewhere hot." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )