Spirit of the Skies
|Attributes||Guardian of the Rito|
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Other Media||Super Smash Bros. Brawl |
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Era||Era of the Great Sea|
Valoo resides at the top of Dragon Roost Island and is the patron deity and protector of the Rito people that dwell there. Valoo only speaks the ancient Hylian Language, so there are few who can understand him, and even his attendant Medli has trouble sometimes. Valoo grants the Rito their wings when they come of age and always protects them from harm. When Link first visits Dragon Roost Island, he finds out that Valoo is in a predicament: he is being tortured by Gohma hidden in the mountain beneath Valoo's high peak. The dragon's change of temperament has prevented young Rito (such as Komali) from reaching him to receive the scale that allows them to grow their wings. Moreover, one of Valoo's recent rampages caused a boulder to crash down the mountain, breaking the bridge leading to Dragon Roost Cavern and plugging the nearby spring. Link must defeat Gohma in order to stop the Sky Spirit's rampage and receive Din's Pearl from Prince Komali.
After Valoo is saved, he recognizes Link as a true hero and tells him to use the Wind God's Wind to aid the young hero on his quest. Later, after Link visits Greatfish Isle, it is Valoo who tells Quill to give word to Link about the whereabouts of the Water Spirit Jabun.
Just before Link and Tetra are about to be defeated by Ganondorf at the top of the Forsaken Fortress, Valoo, Komali, and Quill rescue them. The two Rito swoop in and take Link and Tetra to safety before Valoo unleashes a blast of fire onto Ganondorf's viewing platform in an attempt to kill him. However, just before Valoo departs, the Sky Spirit warns the King of Red Lions that his fire alone cannot possibly destroy Ganon.
|Valoo (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|Birthplace: Dragon Roost Island|
Valoo has lived on Dragon Roost Island and protected the Ritos since long, long ago. He has a habit of speaking only Hylian, which only his attendant, Medli, grasps.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "The sky-dancing Rito tribe... A mystical sky spirit... Dragon Roost Island just sounds like a paradise floating in the ocean of my dreams!" — Missy (The Wind Waker HD)
- "High atop this island's peak lives the spirit of the skies...a great dragon by the name of Valoo." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker HD)
- "Lord Valoo! You arrived not a moment too soon... We are deeply grateful." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker HD)
- "Valoo has lived on Dragon Roost Island and protected the Ritos since long, long ago. He has a habit of speaking only Hylian, which only his attendant, Medli, grasps." — Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 259
- "We do so by the graces of the sky spirit, Valoo. When a Rito reaches adulthood, he or she journeys to the top of Dragon Roost to receive a scale from the great dragon. It is this scale that enables the Rito to grow his or her wings." — Rito Chieftain (The Wind Waker)
- "Let me be direct. My son, Komali, is of the age to earn his wings... Yet...he is weak, in some ways...and in light of the current situation, he may just give up on ever getting them..." — Rito Chieftain (The Wind Waker)
- "A letter? From my father? Oh, sure, telling me to be brave is easy enough for him... It's not like he's the one who went through that horrible experience... It's not like HE still has to go get a scale from Valoo." — Komali (The Wind Waker)
- "You see this place? There used to be a spring here, surrounded by a beautiful pond... It was peaceful and lovely...But then the great Valoo... He became so angry, and... In his rage, he shook the mountain and this boulder crashed down, plugging the spring. You can see the result." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "O Hero! Thank you! O Hero! Use the Wind God's Wind!" — Valoo (The Wind Waker)
- "Oh, I almost forgot! The great Valoo also names you, Link, a true hero." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Use the wind god's...wind? That's what he said, but I don't understand. I wonder what it means?" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "Valoo must have been right when he asked me to bring word of Jabun to you..." — Quill (The Wind Waker)
- "Still...it is too soon for us to relax. Ganon cannot be destroyed by such simple means as wrath and fire." — Valoo (The Wind Waker)
- "Even after the land of Hyrule was sealed away, the guardian spirits of the three pearls of the goddesses remain. They are thought to be descended from Volvagia, the Deku Tree, and Jabu-Jabu, spirits that existed during the Era of the Hero of Time." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 127)
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 259