As part of the Unified Community Platform project, this wiki and 38 others will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Minimal changes are expected as part of this migration. Read more here.
Vaati is recurring Boss in The Legend of Zelda series.(FS | FSA | TMC) Much like Ganondorf, he appears in both humanoid and monstrous forms, although the former only appears in The Minish Cap. In The Minish Cap, Vaati also takes on three other forms, including that of a Minish.
Vaati appears in Four Swords as a mage that kidnaps many beautiful maidens and brings them to his Palace in the sky. At that moment, a hero wielding the legendary Four Sword appeared. Using the Sword, he split his body in four to defeat Vaati and seal him away inside the Four Sword in the Four Sword Sanctuary.
The seal on Vaati was apparently weakened over time, and in time Vaati managed to break out of his prison within the Four Sword. In order to commemorate his return, Vaati kidnapped Princess Zelda and took her to his Palace to become his bride. After traveling over three different lands and the Dungeons they contained, the four Links confront Vaati in his Palace, the seat of his power. After an arduous battle, Link is able to reseal Vaati into the Four Sword.
Vaati has two forms in Four Swords. The first is Vaati possessing a statue of himself encased in armor, and the second is him appearing as he does in the opening cutscene.
Four Swords Adventures
Vaati appears in Four Swords Adventures, resurrected after Ganondorf tricks Link into drawing the Four Sword and releasing him. After cursing the Royal Jewel, Ganondorf used the darkness that Vaati spread to steal the Force Gems from Hyrule, empowering himself.
During his adventure to save Hyrule, Link finds evidence that Vaati is not his only enemy, and eventually learns that Ganondorf was behind the theft of the Trident and Dark Mirror, and thus the power behind Shadow Link.
Link rescues the Shrine Maiden and Princess Zelda, and restores his good name upon defeating Shadow Link with Princess Zelda's help. At the final battle, Link and his split selves defeat Vaati for good, and seal Ganon within the Four Sword with the help of Princess Zelda and the Shrine Maiden. With this, peace returns to Hyrule, and the Four Sword is laid to rest in its shrine.
The Minish Cap
|Minish Vaati (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|Before he became a sorcerer, he was|
a simple Minish. He had always been
entranced by the evil that lives in
the hearts of men...
|Sorcerer Vaati (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|When the young Minish donned Ezlo's|
magic cap, he took this evil form. Now,
he searches for the light force in his
quest to become all-powerful.
Vaati's history is explored in The Minish Cap, revealing him to have once been a Minish that lived in the Minish Realm as Ezlo's apprentice. Over time, Vaati became fascinated with the evil in the hearts of men and began to desire power. He learned the legends of the Picori Blade and Light Force, two gifts that the Minish gave to the Humans. These gifts were used by the Hero of Men to seal away the evil terrorizing Hyrule. Vaati decided to go to Hyrule and look for the Light Force, a relic said to be the source of unlimited magical power.
Since the portal between Hyrule and the Minish Realm was about to open, Ezlo created a gift for the Humans. He fashioned the Mage's Cap, a powerful magical cap that was able to grant the wishes of the one who wears it. Vaati put on the Cap without permission and transformed into a sorcerer. In order to spite his master and show off his new power, Vaati Cursed Ezlo, turning him into a living cap. Before leaving, Vaati revealed his plan to cross into the Human world through the Minish Door and obtain absolute power.
Vaati learned that the Picori Blade was being used to seal Bound Chest, which he assumed contained the Light Force. He decided to enter the Sword-Fighting Tournament in the Picori Festival, as the winner had the honor of touching the Blade. As he approaches it, he blasts away the guards protecting it and breaks the Picori Blade, releasing all the evil contained in the Bound Chest. Princess Zelda is guarded by a mysterious power that Vaati recognizes, and he turns her to stone to prevent her from interfering with his plans. To his surprise, the Bound Chest did not contain anything other than the monsters, but he vows to continue searching for the Light Force.
To aid in his search, Vaati impersonates King Daltus and orders the Vassals of Hyrule to search for the Light Force. Vaati learns that the location of the Light Force will be revealed if the Picori Blade is reforged and infused with the Four Elements, and allows Link and Ezlo to continue their quest. The two eventually unlock a hidden room in the Elemental Sanctuary containing stained glass that reveals the Light Force to have been residing within Princess Zelda all along. Vaati thanks them before knocking Link out and teleporting to look for Princess Zelda.
By the time Link reaches Vaati, he has already managed to extract some of the Light Force from Princess Zelda and transforms into a tall sorcerer form called Vaati Reborn. Link defeats this form with the power of the Four Sword, and Vaati transforms into a demonic one-eyed black orb called Vaati Transfigured. He is vanquished again, however, expressing disbelief that he could be bested by a child despite having the power of a god. As a result of this defeat, Dark Hyrule Castle begins to collapse shortly after Princess Zelda is restored, forcing her and Link to escape to the Palace Courtyard. In his anger, Vaati transforms yet again, this time into a larger, more powerful version of his second form called Vaati's Wrath. He also prevents Link from accessing the Elemental Sanctuary, gloating about how he has become the master of the universe before warping him to another realm. He is defeated again, however, and upon the final blow being dealt, he again expresses disbelief that he was defeated by Link despite his gaining part of the Light Force. Princess Zelda uses the Mage's Cap to restore the damage Vaati had done, destroying the Cap in the process.
The Figurines for Vaati's Boss forms cannot be won in the Figurine Gallery without first defeating Vaati. However, if Link defeats one of Vaati's forms but fails to defeat the next immediate form, the forms Link has successfully defeated will become available in the Figurine Gallery's lottery.
- Vaati's laugh closely resembles the Happy Mask Salesman's.
- Vaati, in his final demon forms, resembles DethI, the Shadow Nightmares' final form from Link's Awakening. The form also resembles a wanted sign at the Shooting Gallery in Ocarina of Time.
Vaati's name is a reference to his mastery of wind. It resembles "venti," the Italian word for "winds." Vaati's Japanese name, "Gufū," means "tornado."
Vaati's English name may also be a reference to the Wind Dukes of Aaqa from Dungeons & Dragons, who are known as the Vaati, and live on the elemental plane of air and use wind magic.
The pronunciation of Vaati's name has been disputed among fans. Some examples would be "VAH-tee" (/ˈvɑː.ti/), "VAH-tie" (/ˈvɑː.taɪ/), "VAH-tuh" (/ˈvɑː.tɨ/) or "VAY-tay" (/ˈveɪ.teɪ/). The weekly show on Wii's Nintendo Channel has confirmed his name is pronounced "VAH-tee" (/ˈvɑː.ti/) on its September 29, 2011 broadcast.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||グフー (Gufū) (FS)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "With the ability to manipulate the wind, Vaati calls himself the Wind Mage, and takes over the Palace of Winds." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 82)
- "It tells the origin story of the sacred Four Sword, as well as the Wind Sorcerer Vaati, which both previously appeared in Four Swords." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 268)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 154 (FSA)
- "The Immortal Demon, Vaati" — Chapter Title (Four Swords (Himekawa))
- "Link... I feel I owe you an explanation of what has happened. You see, Vaati and I are both Minish." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Before he became a sorcerer, he was a simple Minish. He had always been entranced by the evil that lives in the hearts of men..." — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 210 (FS | FSA | TMC)
- "Vaati, the Wind Mage: Vaati, who has no memory of his life as a Picori, goes on a mindless rampage. With the ability to manipulate the wind, Vaati calls himself the Wind Mage, and takes over the Palace of Winds." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 82)
- "The kidnapped Princess Zelda: Vaati kidnaps Princess Zelda to make her his bride in commemoration of his resurrection, not to obtain the Light Force." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 82)
- "After being sealed and resurrected, [Vaati] is finally defeated." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 121)
- "I was once a famous sage and a renowned Minish craftsman. Vaati was only a boy when I took him on as my apprentice." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "But...he became enchanted by the wickedness in the hearts of men." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Well, you call it light force, but it is a source of limitless magical power." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "One day, Vaati took a hat I made for the humans--my pride and joy. It granted the wishes of its wearer. He put it on without permission..." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "I am a sorcerer now, and my power is beyond compare! No longer will I tire away as your apprentice! Now, all shall call ME master!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "Tell me, how does it feel, my sorcerer's curse? Do you see, Ezlo? I am truly your master now, and you cannot stop me." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "This year, on the day that comes but once a century, the portal opens. And when it does, I shall claim the light force as my own. I will be transformed, perfect, and there will be none who can stop me..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "The Picori Blade and the Bound Chest spoken of in Hylian lore... This chest must hold that which I seek!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "Whoever wins the competition earns the honor of touching the sacred blade." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- "As victor, I've earned the right to approach the Picori Blade..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "The princess with the mystic aura... ...The power that was gifted to the people of Hyrule still flows within the veins of the ladies of its royal family? Interesting... If I leave you now, you'll only cause me trouble later. That will never do. To stone with you!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "Empty? There was nothing in there but those monsters? What is the meaning of this? Well, I know the force I'm after is somewhere out there. I'm in no hurry. I can take my time searching for it. Heh heh heh..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "Vaati disguised himself as the king to search for the light force." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "The golden light force of limitless magical power... I want it!!! It is somewhere here in Hyrule! Go now, and bring me this power! Waste no time! Go forth at once, and bring me the light force!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "When the blade has been infused with the four elements, the way to the light force shall open. So it is told in the legends of the Wind Tribe. Vaati himself may already know this." — Siroc (The Minish Cap)
- "Ezlo, you really are too kind. First, you give me my magic cap, and then you guide me here!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "When he learned of this place, he waited for us to reforge the blade." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "Hmmm... How interesting... Look at the images on the stained glass... I bet those pictures show us where the light force is hidden..." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "The truth about the light force within Princess Zelda is depicted here." — N/A (The Minish Cap)
- "I have not yet drained all of the light force housed in Princess Zelda. But what I have should suffice... I shall be transformed! Unstoppable!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "What... What is this madness? I have the power of a god! I have unstoppable might!!! How could I lose to a child?!?" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "Link, thank you so much for saving me. When I was turned to stone, I saw visions of you, as if in a dream." — Princess Zelda (The Minish Cap)
- "It looks like the curse has been broken. I'm glad we made it in time." — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "No! The castle's collapsing! It's too dangerous here. Quickly! We must escape from the castle!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
"Hrmm... The door is blocked! We have no choice... Head back to the sanctuary!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 81
- "Heh heh heh heh... You will not escape, boy! Now, you will see the true power of the light force... For I have become Vaati, the master of this world!" — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "Fool! I... But the light force... My power... I had such power..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- "If one with a just heart wears this cap, things can be made right again. Princess Zelda! Let your wishes be made real!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- "The hat is falling apart. It's overflowing with the power of life!" — Ezlo (The Minish Cap)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Shogakukan) pg. 169 (FS)