Preferred image name in use
Hello again. A few months back you mentioned to me that Zelda Wiki aims to keep all official screenshots / media archived. I went to upload a new image of Margoma and saw that the current image is from the official Japanese Zelda Twitter account, but its filename was the preferred
TFH Margoma Model.png. I uploaded the new one to
TFH Margoma Model Large.png and I'm just mentioning this because I don't know how to properly rename then to get the new image showing on all pages, rather than auto-redirecting to the old one. --Htwretched (talk) 19:06, 3 March 2018 (UTC)
- I renamed them for you. By the way, you should have a Slack invitation in your email, so you can message me directly about these things once you accept it. TriforceTony (talk) 20:04, 3 March 2018 (UTC)
Spirit Tracks Character names
Just to make sure I don't do anything wrong again, I wanted to ask what I should do regarding the names. I don't have Encylopedia myself, and thus can't double check each character's name.
If the best course of action is that I do nothing and have other people just use my translations if necessary, I'd be fine with that, too. I'd just be happy if the Spirit Tracks characters would no longer have fan-made names like "woman who likes fish" listed there, it feels off. --Kaialone02 (talk) 22:37, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
- Well, we tend to shy away from using unofficial translations for names (like ハージ (Hāji) being turned into "Hage" without any apparent basis). Most of the time, unless it's clearly a transliteration of an English word/name, we just use direct romanization for names (like Mōrī instead of "Morley" for モーリー). That's the only thing I would think to caution you on. If you can, just try to follow that when adding names and leave the meaning field blank unless the book provides a name origin like "mushroom" for Yamahiko (whose name they switched up with Mash for some reason). TriforceTony (talk) 22:53, 12 August 2018 (UTC)
Oh, I was gonna ask you if you were sure you didn't mix up Mush/Mash and Yamahiko, but maybe it's a printing error in one of the two books, or the English translation? And I can adapt to your standards for romanizations, of course. For my personal translations I tend to go for the direct spelling of the origin (like "Mush" because it's from "mushroom" and the Japanese spelling is identical for the name and the word) or for a spelling that's an actual name, for example "Mōrī" is actually how the Western name "Morley" is spelled in Japanese. I mean, we don't call them Rinku and Zeruda either. But I understand that with unoffical translations, more direct romanizations can be better to avoid mistakes arising from speculation.
Anyway, I could go ahead and fix up articles of all the Spirit Tracks characters as best as I can, going with the names you listed. Though I am not sure if I can really cite myself any better considering it's all just one big post? (Unless that's not what you meant)
But I have one more question. In the case of Teacher and the Wise One, would it make sense to make note of ther actual Japanese given names in their articles? Albatross and Merluza respectively, pretty sure about the spelling because they're named a train and a fish. Unless Encyclopedia gives them different English names, too.
- Sorry for the late response, but you can see an example of what I mean by citing here.
- If a name is confirmed to be from an English word, you're very much in the right to use the English equivalent (such as Mash's name coming from mushroom). However, if the name isn't from an English word and speculation is required to make the connection (or if the name is confirmed to be from something else entirely, like how Mōrī is directly stated to come from 森), it should be avoided.
- With the Teacher and the Wise One, since we go by American English canon above anything else, actual names from the JP canon should be kept to the Nomenclature section. (Basically English titles > Japanese names.) TriforceTony (talk) 20:09, 15 August 2018 (UTC)
Hi, i've been digging through obscured redirects and hidden talk pages. Mind becoming a bot to replace all instances of User:Cipriano 119/sig to its location, and delete the redirect? the redirect result can be noticed from pages like this. Cremia2000 (My talk) 23:46, 12 October 2018 (UTC)
BotW Needed Pages
Hey TriforceTony, I was wondering about the articles you said that you were creating with a spreadsheet and all that, and I was wondering what you were using on that spreadsheet. Are you doing only Weapons in Breath of the Wild, or are you doing places and materials and everything else? Thanks! Magicmason1000 (talk) 04:54, 1 December 2018 (UTC)
- I've already done all the locations to a bare minimum level of quality so they're fair game. Though I welcome you to take part in our Wiki Weekly events that we currently have every Sunday morning over on our Discord server. We work on Breath of the Wild locations together as a team since it's much faster that way. Everything else (like items) still has yet to be done just yet, I'm afraid. TriforceTony (talk) 01:24, 4 December 2018 (UTC)
Breath of the Wild soundtrack
- (I can't offer legal advice here but) I would say not unless it's to actually demonstrate something in an article and even then it should only be as much to demonstrate that exact thing (such as leitmotifs). TriforceTony (talk) 21:02, 27 December 2018 (UTC)
Hi Tony, I was going to work on some Image Alteration and went to download the full-sized Majora's Mask Deku Link image. But no matter what I do, it gives me a compressed 584x688 copy instead. I've tried on multiple browsers and clearing the cache, but same thing. Anyway I'm just bringing it to your attention because you uploaded the most recent version of it, albeit several years ago. Htwretched (talk) 01:35, 19 January 2019 (UTC)