User talk:Link Lab
- 1 Hello
- 2 The Timeline pages will be revamped?
- 3 Imdel?
- 4 The Last DLC for HW placement
- 5 All the Glitches of TPHD
- 6 Mailbox citations
- 7 Trivia?
- 8 BOTW Translations
- 9 Broken redirects
- 10 amiibo Rune/Wolf Link
- 11 Transparent Image Help
- 12 Plot of Oracle of Ages
- 13 Questions about Manga Editing Etiquette
- 14 My recent edits at amiibo
- 15 Sprites and in-game assets on the Gallery Pages
|Hi there, Link Lab, and welcome to Zelda Wiki! Why not check out the community hub? To find out what's been going on recently at the wiki and what articles users are editing right now, head to the Recent Changes. For general wiki-related discussion and questions, head over to the Discussion Center. Also, for wiki usage and policy help, check out our Help Guide. We hope you enjoy the wiki. Thanks!|
— The Zelda Wiki Staff
The Timeline pages will be revamped?
- Tony mentioned it a month or so ago on this talk page. It looks like the redlinks will become redirects but the page they will redirect to isn't finished yet. I might have exaggerated with the word revamped but it is highly likely that they are being at least partially rewritten.Link Lab (talk) 10:29, 27 August 2016 (UTC)
- Never mind, i figured it out. Man why do some wikis feel the need to over complicate things as simple as a Deletion category?
Ixbran (talk) 20:52, 1 September 2016 (UTC)
- Imdel is set up specifically for images and includes a number of image-specific reasons for deletion such as copyright violation (|cv), superseded by another file (|sup) and duplicated file (|df), which don't apply to standard articles. Meanwhile, the Delete template allows any reason to be specified, which often requires more thorough discussion. As such, separating these templates is beneficial for efficient file deletion.Link Lab (talk) 21:13, 1 September 2016 (UTC)
The Last DLC for HW placement
First of all I wanna say congrats you on becoming a Zelda Wiki Staff Trainee. Second, I made a Template idea for the Character Chart for Hyrule Warriors when the Last DLC comes out with 2 new warriors, in my Sandbox. Please see if you can get the Staff's opinion on it. Wolfgerlion64 (talk) 00:50, 5 September 2016 (UTC)
- Thank you. I showed your Sandbox to the rest of the staff and they appreciated your efforts but they are unlikely to go with that design. We have come up with some potential designs and we will decide on which of these would be the best to use closer to the release of the last DLC.Link Lab (talk) 17:02, 6 September 2016 (UTC)
All the Glitches of TPHD
Concerning the page about Mailboxes, I thought that we weren't allowed to add two citations stating the same thing.
As for which to keep, I think that the citation from the guide is more valuable since it also tells the color of the mailbox and such. Let me know what you think! :) MannedTooth (talk) 20:00, 31 December 2016 (UTC)
- In this case, the citation I added was citing its name in MM rather than adding a second citation for its PH name, which would be unnecessary. As the name is not consistent between games, I felt it was worth noting that name was used in another game. In any case, if one were to be deleted, a citation from an in-game source is always more valuable than one from a guide. Link Lab (talk) 20:14, 31 December 2016 (UTC)
Concerning this edit, you removed it from the main article because it's only in the japanese version? But what if I have a quote from the official English game guide? Should that count? MannedTooth (talk) 20:05, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
- Ideally, we'd want a in-game citation but official guide statements are acceptable. I've actually noticed a line in the text dump regarding this but another citation on the page seems to imply the line might be unused in-game so this is currently being investigated. While this is being investigated, pleas hold off on adding that citation. Link Lab (talk) 20:35, 2 January 2017 (UTC)
- Sorry, but that is not something I am allowed to do. You can suggest additions via the talk page, but for the sake of keeping these articles as factual as possible, editing has been locked from the public and in general only names verified by staff are accepted. As such, on the talk pages, it would be best to post links to videos or images containing those translations. — Link Lab (Talk) 20:11, 2 March 2017 (UTC)
- Oh, okay, I thought you could do that. I'll upload a German version of the map. Thanks nonetheless --TheGrizzly (talk) 20:25, 2 March 2017 (UTC)
- We're well aware of that. The broken redirect should still point there and not to Forsaken Fortress. The page will eventually be created but some more info and files are needed for my sandbox and we've had other priorities. This is also the case for Wind and Earth Temples but again, those redirects should point there, whether the page exists currently or not. — Link Lab (Talk) 17:09, 16 March 2017 (UTC)
amiibo Rune/Wolf Link
Hi there. Before starting some kind of edit war, I wanted to address a recent change you made to the amiibo Rune page. I understand your reasoning for removing the scan results of the unreleased amiibo (although I'm also a little sad that the wiki cannot present complete information, in a way). However, I'm curious why you removed the reference to Wolf Link receiving 20 hearts when registering the amiibo via a save file without doing the Cave of Shadows? It actually works that way (I tried) and the result was even sourced. It's a little disheartening when perfectly viable information is just removed. -- Tadayou (talk) 11:10, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
- I apologize for not explaining this in the summary but there wasn't enough room. That appears to have been an unintentional exploit as I have seen multiple news posts, linking to threads on reddit, saying that the 1.1.2 patch for Breath of the Wild causes Wolf Link to spawn with 3 hearts when using that method. As such, I removed the information as it is no longer accurate. I am also wary of covering a glitch that Nintendo has patched outside of saying something along the lines of "the version 1.1.2 update was released on (DATE) worldwide. While the official update notes said (Quote), glitches that allowed (glitches 1-X descriptions) and Wolf Link to spawn with an incorrect number of Hearts were fixed." on the Breath of the Wild page. This way, we note its existence but give no specifics on it. — Link Lab (Talk) 11:41, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks for the reply! With all the talk about the new patch I actuaĺly hadn't seen any mention of changes to Wolf Link's hearts. If they indeed patched this (and it wasn't intentional in the first place), it's of course understandable to remove the now defunct way to receive more hearts on the amiibo. I'd also agree then that it doesn't need much coverage anymore.-- Tadayou (talk) 11:52, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
Transparent Image Help
Hey Link Lab, can you help explain what was wrong with this image? Did I do something incorrectly when cropping it, or are these images not supposed to have transparent backgrounds? Thank you. - Protokhal (talk) 19:40, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
- We do want transparency for models but there were some issues with the transparency. There appeared to be a thin edge of background pixels that shouldn't be there, most noticeable around the face and it looked like you removed some of his shirt in the gap between his arm. I don't think there was any issues with the cropping but I can't be completely sure. Also, to link to an image page, use
[[:File:BotW Monkton Model.png|this format]](note the : before File:) like this. — Link Lab (Talk) 20:00, 17 April 2017 (UTC)
Plot of Oracle of Ages
Questions about Manga Editing Etiquette
Hello Link Lab. I've noticed that you have been cleaning up my manga edits, and I'm very thankful for that, as it helps me critique future writings. However, I have a question. When should italics be added, exactly? I seem to have difficulty in this area for some reason. And when using templates, should the first letter of every word be capitalized? Example: Noncanon|Start verses Noncanon|start? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of from now on concerning these? Thank you for your time. - Ciela04 (talk) 21:51, 7 June 2017 (UTC)
- Apologies for the late reply. Typically, italics should be used when using a game's title/subtitle. However, an exception to that is when the subtitle is also the name of something else and the sentence is referring to the item/object/person. So, for example,
In ''Ocarina of Time'', Princess Zelda throws the Ocarina of Time into the moat outside Hyrule Castle Town.In the first instance of the game subtitle, Ocarina of Time, I was referring to the game so I italicized it but in the second instance I was referring to the titular item so I did not italicize it.
- As for templates, I believe it is generally better that they are capitalized. A notable exception would be the languages used in the Names template. — Link Lab (Talk) 16:59, 17 June 2017 (UTC)
My recent edits at amiibo
You know that I recently edited the pages amiibo and Gallery:amiibo to merge 30th Anniversary series and The Legend of Zelda series, and you didn't agree to this change yet. I suggested this in Talk:amiibo and have an explanation. Let's discuss this there. Tininfinite8 (talk) 16:03, 17 June 2017 (UTC)
- Let me be clear, the issue is that there was no discussion or agreement about the changes, not that I didn't agree with the changes. You only made that talk page post two days ago and there has yet to be a reply. That doesn't justify just doing things your way. I'll admit that I had intended to respond on that discussion but had been distracted by other things. I will reply there later today. — Link Lab (Talk) 16:59, 17 June 2017 (UTC)
Sprites and in-game assets on the Gallery Pages
Hello, Link Lab. I noticed you had recently removed a subsection I added the the gallery page for The Legend of Zelda dedicated to the game's sprites, with the reason being "This page should only have pre-release/promotional media and artwork. Sprites are neither". True to your statement, as I returned to the gallery page at the top I just now realized it reads "This is a gallery page featuring promotional and pre-release media from and relating to The Legend of Zelda." For starters, I apologize for making such a significant contribution to a gallery page without prior discord with other members on Zelda Wiki. I did not incorporate Zelda 1 sprites with any sense of entitlement - I just thought they would look nice and compliment the gallery pages. On the Super Mario Wiki, gallery pages for characters and game titles include in-game assets (reference for comparision ). Though I understand that Zelda Wiki is only affiliated with the Super Mario Wiki and operate independently, even here sprites and models are allowed on character galleries (Gallery:Link, for example). Is there any specific reason why sprites and other in-game assets are incompatible with the galleries for Zelda titles on the wiki?--101nintendo (talk) 05:29, 6 September 2017 (UTC)
- Well, at the moment, I am not aware of any official reasons why we don't allow in-game assets in game galleries. Not that there isn't one but I've never really had a reason to find out. But personally, I feel it would unnecessarily bloat the size of the gallery. It's maybe not as bad for a game like The Legend of Zelda but it would have to be applied to all games and for later games, it would probably include models instead of sprites. So on a game like The Minish Cap, even if we assume we used the same proportion of that game's sprites as you did for TLoZ (~60%), we would be adding >300 sprites. Then there's the >650 models in Breath of the Wild, most of which (>70%) would likely be usable. This, to me, feels very excessive.