Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|Use(s)||Reaching high ledges|
Location and Uses
Updrafts are gusts of wind that push upward, often carrying whatever enters the column of wind with them.
Updrafts are found on Islands throughout the World of the Ocean King, such as on the Isle of Gust, either buried under soil or appearing naturally on the ground. When Link enters an Updraft's column, he will be propelled upwards to a nearby ledge. If Updrafts are covered by soil, Link must uncover them with the Shovel in order to use them. Alternatively, Link may purposefully cover Updrafts with the Shovel to access areas otherwise blocked by their columns of wind. Some Updrafts are activated via Switches.
Updrafts appear throughout The Surface in Skyward Sword, such as in the Sealed Grounds. By using the Sailcloth in tandem with these air vents, Link can ascend cliffs and ledges. Much like in Phantom Hourglass, these vents of air may be trapped underground. Link can uncover these by using either the Digging Mitts or the Mogma Mitts.
Breath of the Wild
Updrafts can be caused by a variety of sources in Breath of the Wild. Updrafts can occur when fire catches on grass or Spicy Peppers, generating lift that Link can use in tandem with his Paraglider to soar into the sky. Dragons also naturally generate Updrafts when they fly through the sky, allowing Link to match their vertical position. Updrafts created by Dragons also fully regenerate Link's Stamina Wheel whenever he draws his Paraglider while in them. Some Updrafts occur via natural vents in the ground, allowing Link to scale heights with ease.
The Updrafts in the Flight Range are used for training by Rito warriors. Except for during the "EX Champion Revali's Song" Main Quest, the Flight Range's Updrafts will always regenerate Link's Stamina.
When fire spreads, it creates an updraft. You can use the paraglider to catch that updraft and ride it high into the sky." — Tips and Tricks (Breath of the Wild)
- "You can use these gust geysers to float up to a high ledge." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Some of these geysers are plugged by soil, so you must use the Shovel to dig out the blockage." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "You also find some geysers that activate when a switch is triggered." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "Sometimes, you may even be called to throw a Bomb in the geyser to blast some stones blocking your path before riding the geyser yourself." (Phantom Hourglass Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 15)
- "I recommend using the air vents to move ahead of the monster instead of chasing it from behind." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "We Rito warriors use the updraft in this ravine to hone our aerial archery skills." — Teba (Breath of the Wild)