The Legend of Zelda
In The Legend of Zelda, the Underworld can be accessed throughout various entrances scattered all over Hyrule that, upon entering, actually serve as the game's dungeons. In total, there are nine underworld entrances around the kingdom that Link must enter in order to retrieve a shard of the Triforce of Wisdom.
The Adventure of Link
Although the Underworld is not visited in The Adventure of Link, it is mentioned in the game's prologue where it says that Ganon's minions were calling up new monsters from the Underworld to work towards the revival of the evil wizard, implying that the Underworld is where the monsters actually originate.
- In Japan, the Underground and the Underworld are two different places. The Underground from The Legend of Zelda is named 地下 (Underground), literally referring to the location of the Labyrinths which are below the earth. The Underworld mentioned in the The Adventure of Link manual is named 魔界 (Demon World), a term which is later used in Ocarina of Time and describes what happened to the Sacred Realm once Ganondorf obtained the Triforce of Power.
- Nintendo Fun Club News Vol. 1 No. 2 (Nintendo of America) pg. 1 (TLoZ)
- "At that time, Ganon's underlings were calling up new allies from the Underworld, and were beginning to work devilishly towards the revival of Ganon" (The Adventure of Link manual, pg. 12)
- "When Impa gave Link the order to destroy Ganon she also told him of the history of the land of Hyrule, and the layout of the nine underground secret labyrinths." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 5)
- "The entrances to the underground labyrinths are hidden all over the place. [...] And once Link's found a labyrinth, he'll always get an item of treasure." (The Legend of Zelda manual, pg. 7)
- "Raise the swamp entrance." — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 3 )
- "C'mon, there's an old Underworld entrance in the dungeon." — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 13 )
- "Since my teleportation powers are limited in the upper world, I'll have to travel in style." — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 1 )
- "Will you stop doing that? Ganon will know where we are!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "Throw him to Gohma, then those two!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 9 )
- "Take him to the pit room!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 5 )
- "What they had better do is turn the kingdom and the Triforce over to me in one hour." — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 5 )
- "Daddy! Sing! You saved him! Thank you, thank you!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 5 )
- "So...Link and Zelda are headed for the Black Falls. Well, they'll certainly find a surprise waiting there!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "This monstrous Aquamentus wants me for lunch!" — Link (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 8 )
- "No, no! Not the Bottomless Pit! Noooo!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 13 )
- "Ow! Blast! I'm still falling! And none of my magic will get through this bubble! But maybe...that's it! My magic will still work INSIDE the bubble! I'll make a balloon to float me back up again! It works! I'm rising!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda TV Series, Episode 13 )
- "Stop worrying, Link. If I'm going to learn to fight in Ganon's Underworld, I've got to practice on my own." (The Legend of Zelda (Valiant Comics) pg. 1)