The map of the tunnel
Link, Princess Zelda and Charles of Moria fall into the underground tunnel after Charles's sword accidentally slices into the roots of a Quaker Tree. After the fall, Link notices a piece of paper sticking out of a rock and tells Zelda and Charles he's found a map, hoping that it's not fake.
If Link thinks the map is fake, he will throw it away and tell Zelda and Charles to follow him, and although Zelda tries to stop him, they have no choice but to run after the young hero. With the Stalfos pursuing them, Link tries to get the group out of the tunnel, but he trips on a Stalfos since the tunnel is so dark. The page ends with a Game Over as Zelda cries to Link saying that he picked the wrong path, claiming that they'll die at the hands of the Stalfos.
However, if Link decides that the map is real, he will tell the Zelda and Charles to follow him after examining the routes just as the Stalfos begin to approach them. Eventually, they safely exit back out to the woods, leaving the Stalfos howling at the end of the tunnel.
- "The sword, caught underneath his massive body, sinks into the ground. R-R-R-UMMMMBLE! The earth around Link's feet shakes. Oh, no! Charles's sword must have sliced into the roots of a quaker tree!" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 12)
- "The next thing knows, he, Zelda and Chalres have dropped twenty feet into an underground tunnel." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 12)
- "'This map has to be fake,' Link says. 'Why else would it be in such an easy hiding place? Follow me! I'll get us out of here!' 'But Link!' Zelda cries. 'Maybe it's--' It's too late. Link has already disappeared down the nearest tunnel." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 80)
- "Then Link looks up to see the pale bones of the Stalfos whipping toward them. 'Oh, Link!' Zelda cries. 'You picked the wrong path. We're done for!'" (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 81)
- "Link hears the howling of Stalfos rushing toward them. He takes a deep breath. 'Let's hope this map is real,' he says to Zelda and Charles. Quickly, he unfolds it and searches for a route out." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 48)
- "'This way!' he calls. [...] In minutes they're back outside. The skeletons stop at the mouth of the tunnel, howling." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth) pg. 48)