|Great Bridge of Hylia in Twilight|
Twilight, also known as the World of Shadows, the Darkened Realm, and the Land Covered in Twilight, refers to any region of land stripped of Light. Under the effects of Twilight, inhabitants of the afflicted areas either turn into Spirits or monsters of shadow. Twilight is created and utilized by Zant to gradually cover the entire Kingdom of Hyrule in shadow during his conquest. The spreading Twilight becomes a serious threat to Hyrule that Link is tasked with combating. This Twilight is distinct from the twilight that naturally occurs during dusk.
Features and Overview
Light in Hyrule is sustained by the four Spirits of Light, who act as guardians for their respective provinces. During the events of Twilight Princess, Zant steals the Light from the Light Spirits by creating a dark fog composed of light-absorbing shadow crystals similar in nature to the one encountered in the Palace of Twilight. The kingdom of Hyrule is slowly overtaken by Twilight as its Light vanishes in each province.
Once overtaken by the Twilight, the inhabitants of the afflicted area lose their physical bodies and turn into Spirits, unaware of their current state. Furthermore, the Twilit Messengers have the ability to change them into monsters. However, there are a select few who can survive in the Twilight without becoming a lost soul. Bearers of the Triforce can usually withstand the effects of the Twilight. Link, bearer of the Triforce of Courage, transforms into a wolf and Princess Zelda, bearing the Triforce of Wisdom, maintains her normal physical form.
Not all beings are turned into Spirits however. The enemy creatures that Link encounters are turned into "shadow creatures" within the Twilight. Bulblins, along with Keese, Deku Babas and Kargaroks are just a few of the creatures that change form under the influence of the Twilight.
Hyruleans normally cannot enter areas engulfed in Twilight, unless a creature from the Twilight draws them in through the Curtain of Twilight. Midna is able to pull Link into a Curtain of Twilight, being a Twili herself. Once someone has entered the Twilight, it is often impossible to escape or recover. Only with the help of a member of the Twili race can a lost soul or anything trapped in the Twilight escape. In each province, the Tears of Light of the Light Spirits needs to be recovered from the Twilit Insects in order for them to be revived. The Light Spirits will give Link the Vessel of Light in order to collect and carry the Tears. Once the Light Spirits regain their power, the Twilight is lifted and the inhabitants return to normal.
- Main article: Twilight Realm
The perpetual Twilight of the Twilight Realm is different in nature compared to the Twilight produced by Zant. The latter exerts a corrupting influence over Hyrule, while the former is comparable to the Twilight encountered naturally in Hyrule during sunset. The Twilight Realm itself is described as a beautiful world, and its inhabitants, albeit exposed in the Twilight, as gentle, pure-hearted beings.
- According to the original Japanese text, Midna mentions that Link, being a Hyrulean, should avoid contact with the Dark Fog found in the Palace of Twilight, possibly implying that the Twilight of the realm is harmless.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Just beyond that bridge, the land is covered in twilight." — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- "It has been turned into a world of shadows, ruled by creatures who shun the light." — Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess HD)
- "Though you may have left the darkened realm, you haven't transformed back to your former self...and you won't anytime soon!" — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- "The first thing you need to do is find the land covered in twilight. Once you do, I'll help you out." — Midna (Twilight Princess HD)
- "This black fog is made up of shadow crystals created by Zant. They blot out light… He's responsible for stealing the light from the spirits and turning your world into twilight…" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "This black fog is the light-absorbing shadow crystals that Zant magically produced… It's responsible for stealing the light from the spirits and turning Hyrule into Twilight." — Midna (Twilight Princess — Japanese version)
- "Remember that lady from the general store? Just one of those things attacked her, and a whole gang from town went to save her! And what happened? She was already gone, and there were TWO monsters waitin'!" — Barnes (Twilight Princess)
- "Just beyond that bridge, the land is covered in twilight. Last time, a shadow beast pulled you through the curtain of twilight... But if you want to go that way this time, you'll need the cooperation of someone FROM the twilight...like me!" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Those transformed by twilight usually cannot recover their original forms... Unless... If you were to return Faron Woods where you were first transformed... If you were to revive the light spirit... There, by the power of the light spirit, you may find the means to regain your other state of being..." — Ordona (Twilight Princess)
- "[If Link tries to leave the twilight] That won't work! Give it up! Did you hear me? You can't return to the world of light that easily!" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "It's called a portal. You'd better remember that! And...in those woods we came through... Yes! It's got to be around there... I'll use my power to take you to the location of the open portal... Pick where you want to go. [...] See! I told you. We're here! You know, most people can't leave the twilight that easily. You'd better be grateful!" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Some call our realm a world of shadows, but that makes it sound unpleasant. The twilight there holds a serene beauty... You have seen it yourself as the sun sets on this world. Bathed in that light, all people were pure and gentle." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "The Twilight Realm is a beautiful place, enveloped in the calm of a falling dusk. The inhabitants are gentle, pure-hearted creatures who make their homes within the realm's radiance." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 114)
- "You captured the [Keep Name], dispelling a Twilight Realm!" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "With this Goddess Butterfly, of course! It will guide us through the Twilight Realm" — Agitha (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Lana stepped through her portal and found a jarring sight. Wherever she looked, the kingdom was consumed by shadow. Though she knew of the Twilight Realm, she had never seen it firsthand. Lana's sorcery could not reveal who or what was causing the Twilight to cover Hyrule so completely." — Narrator (Hyrule Warriors)
- "With the land covered as it is, I can't really pinpoint the Gate of Souls. Always something..." — Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
- "The interior of the keep is also covered in darkness... Is this part of the Twilight too?" — Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
- "The Twilight Realm has increased Midna's power!" — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "This monster looks different... Maybe defeating it will disperse the Twilight!" — Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
- "What? Where'd my power go? Is someone closing off patches of Twilight?" — Midna (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Aha, I knew it! Shutting down sources of Twilight makes her a pushover!" — Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Link, be careful…" — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Link, be careful… People of the light cannot be inside this!" — Midna (Twilight Princess — Japanese version)