A Twili in its true form
The Twili (pronounced /ˈtwaɪli/) are a race of shadow beings who inhabit the Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess. Although usually a peaceful tribe, the Twili are transformed into hideous creatures known as Twilit Messengers by the Usurper King Zant, used to invade Hyrule. Link is able to return several of them to their normal forms when he encounters them in the Twilight Realm. He is even aided in his quest to stop Zant by Midna, a Twili and the princess of the Twilight Realm.
The Twili are descendants of a tribe of sorcerers of unknown ethnicity referred to as Dark Interlopers, who eons ago were condemned to the Twilight Realm by the Golden Goddesses of Hyrule as punishment for their misgoverned attempt to use magic to claim the Triforce. Their old magic became known as the Fused Shadow, a powerful instrument. However, during their failed attempt to conquer the Sacred Realm, their Fused Shadow was split into four pieces and scattered throughout the Twilight realm and Hyrule. The tribe lived and evolved in the Twilight Realm for centuries in isolation, mere shadows of what they once were, as over time they grew used to their surroundings and came to accept their fate. While some learned to love the beautiful peace that can be found only in Twilight, it drove other inhabitants mad.
After centuries of rule, the Twilight Princess Midna became just one of many rulers in a long line of royalty. It was around this time that a rebel force grew from within the Twilight, spearheaded by Zant. It is revealed that Zant believed that he was next to become Twilight ruler, but the position was passed over. In a terrible fit of rage, he used the power of his false-god Ganondorf to transform most of the inhabitants of Twilight into monsters and, as a form of humiliation, transformed Midna into an imp creature. Midna's only hope was to find the magic of her ancestors, the Fused Shadows, and use it against Zant to save the realm and her people.
The Twili have glowing markings on their skin, which is pale bluish-gray in color partly covered by black. This complexion may be due to lack of full light as the Twili have changed from what they were when they were ejected from the World of Light. They also have oval eyes that are normally red, yellow, or orange. They are usually quite thin as well as much taller than Hylians.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||影の一族 (Kage no Ichizoku)||Shadow Clan|
|Italian|| Stirpe dell'ombra
| Shadow race|
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered. You know this magic… It is the dark power you seek…the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "In the shadows we regressed, so much so that we soon knew neither anger nor hatred...nor even the faintest bloom of desire." — Zant (Twilight Princess)
- "Because I believed I would be the next to rule our people! THAT is why! But would they acknowledge me as their king? No!" — Zant (Twilight Princess)
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|