A Twili in its true form
The Twili (pronounced /ˈtwaɪli/) are a race of shadow beings who inhabit the Twilight Realm in Twilight Princess. Although usually a peaceful tribe, the Twili are transformed into hideous creatures known as Twilit Messengers by the Usurper King Zant and used to invade Hyrule. Link is able to return several of them to their normal forms when he encounters them in the Twilight Realm. He is even aided in his quest to stop Zant by Midna, a Twili and the princess of the Twilight Realm.
The Twili are descendants of a tribe of sorcerers of unknown ethnicity from Hyrule, who are referred to as Interlopers. Eons ago, the Interlopers were condemned to the Twilight Realm by the Golden Goddesses of Hyrule as punishment for their misgoverned attempt to use magic to claim the Triforce. Their old magic became known as the Fused Shadow, an instrument of dark power. However, during their failed attempt to conquer the Sacred Realm, their Fused Shadow was split into four pieces and scattered throughout the Twilight Realm and Hyrule. The tribe lived and evolved in the Twilight Realm for centuries in isolation, mere shadows of what they once were, as over time they became accustomed to their surroundings and came to accept their fate. While some learned to love the beautiful peace that could only be found in Twilight, others felt that they were being oppressed by the people of the Light World. Though they lost their most powerful abilities, the Twili still possess some magical power, and the strongest of them can even teleport.
The Twili built a leadership structure around those with the strongest magical abilities. After centuries of rule, the Twilight Princess Midna became one of many rulers in a long line of royalty. It was around this time that a rebel force grew from within the Twilight, spearheaded by Zant. It is revealed that Zant believed that he was the heir apparent to the throne, but the position was passed over. Distraught, Zant ran outside the Palace of Twilight to vent his frustration. In the midst of Zant's exasperation, Ganondorf appeared to him and stated that he would lend him his power to take over the Twilight Realm and Hyrule. In a fit of rage, Zant used this power to transform most of the inhabitants of the Twilight Realm into monsters and, as a form of humiliation, transformed Midna into an imp creature. Midna's only hope was to find the magic of her ancestors, the Fused Shadows, and use it against Zant to save the realm and her people.
The Twili are usually seen as enemies, but when Link goes to the Palace of Twilight, he reverts several of the Twili to their true forms.
The Twili have glowing markings on their skin, which is black and pale bluish-gray in color. This complexion may be due to lack of full light as the Twili transformed after they were ejected from the World of Light. They also have oval eyes that are normally red, yellow, or orange. They are usually quite thin and much taller than Hylians.
The Twili rarely speak, and most only communicate with other Twili. Their markings are distinct and signify their clans.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||影の一族 (Kage no Ichizoku)||Shadow Clan|
|Italian|| Stirpe dell'ombra
| Shadow race|
- "Typical Twili. They rarely speak, and most only communicate with other Twili." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 30)
- "Twili were once a group of criminals who sought the power of the Triforce using magic and were banished from the Light World to the Twilight Realm (page 30)." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 55)
- "The origin of the Twili dates back to an ancient battle among Hylians over the Triforce of the Sacred Realm." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 30)
- "Even among the Hylians, there are a variety of peoples of different cultures and ethnicities." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 44)
- "Hylians: The Hylians, The Sheikah, The Wind Tribe, The Gerudo, The Kokiri" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 55)
- "The Twili were once people of Hyrule with powerful magical abilities." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 30)
- "Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "What do you think happened to the magic wielders who tried to rule the Sacred Realm? They were banished. They were chased across the sacred lands of Hyrule and driven into another realm by the goddesses." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered. You know this magic… It is the dark power you seek…the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (Twilight Princess)
- "In the shadows we regressed, so much so that we soon knew neither anger nor hatred...nor even the faintest bloom of desire." — Zant (Twilight Princess)
- "The people of the Twilight lived in peace for many years, but there were those among them who felt that the denizens of the Light World were oppressing them." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 114)
- "Though they lost their most powerful abilities, the Twili still posses some magical power, and the strongest of them can even teleport." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 30)
- "They built a leadership structure around those with the strongest magical abilities." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 30)
- "Because I believed I would be the next to rule our people! THAT is why! But would they acknowledge me as their king? No!" — Zant (Twilight Princess)
- "It was then, in the thrall of hatred and despair, that I turned my eyes to the heavens...and found a god." — Zant (Twilight Princess)
- "I shall house my power in you... If there is anything you desire, then I shall desire it, too." — Ganondorf (Twilight Princess)
- "Typical Twili. They rarely speak, and most only communicate with other Twili. Note the distinct patterns on their chests, signifying their clans." (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 30)
|The Races of the Zelda Universe|
|Ancient Robot · Anouki · Bokoblin · Bulblin · Cobble · Dark Interlopers · Demon · Deity · Deku Scrub · Fairy · Garo · Gerudo · Goron · Ho Ho Tribe · Human · Hylian · Keaton · Kikwi · Kokiri · Korok · Lokomo · Minish · Moblin · Mogma · Monkey · Nightmare · Oocca · Parella · Rito · River Zora · Salona · Sheikah · Skull Kid · Subrosian · Tokay · Twili · Watarara · Wind Tribe · Yamatami Tribe · Yeti · Yook · Zora · Zuna|