Turtle Rock (A Link to the Past)
|Location(s)||Death Mountain (Dark World)|
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
|Other media||A Link to the Past (Ishinomori)|
|Main Item||Mirror Shield|
Entrance to the Rock
Turtle Rock is the seventh Dungeon in the Dark World and the eleventh in the whole game. It can only be accessed by using a Warp Point on the eastern peak of Death Mountain. This will warp Link to the roof of the Dungeon, where he must use the Quake Medallion to open the entrance.
This Dungeon is unique in that its interior looks more like an incredibly extended cavern, instead of having a man-made architecture; likewise, the Cane of Somaria (previously won in Misery Mire) shows a new function here: it creates platforms that can travel across floating rails, which help Link to fully explore this Dungeon, as well as to find torches that must be lit; this also means that a lot of magic power is required (in fact, that's an advice given to Link by Sahasrahla at the start of the Dungeon).
Some interesting references to the Mario series occur here as well: Chain Chomps make their debut, and warp pipes carry Link from spot to spot. Similar to the Skull Woods, there are multiple exits, one of them even leads Link to an apparently empty dead end, but guards a Piece of Heart in the Light World. But there's more: this is the only location in the game with lava, and it's harmless since Link cannot fall into it. This Dungeon houses the Mirror Shield, useful to repel more powerful projectiles, and the final crystal (containing Princess Zelda) is guarded by Trinexx.
Enemies and Traps
- In the Game Boy Advance remake of A Link to the Past, Link can warp to the Light World equivalent of the Dungeon's entrance. Thanks to this, he can backtrack from Turtle Rock or even Ganon's Tower without having to traverse the body of Death Mountain again.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||亀岩 (Kame Iwa)||Turtle Rock|
|FrenchEU||Rocher de la Tortue||Turtle Rock|
|Italian||Rocca Tartaruga||Turtle Rock|
|SpanishEU||Roca de la Tortuga||Rock of the Turtle|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 147
- "A lava lake! This place is hot as an inferno!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 11)
- "Zelda!! Is it really you this time[...]?!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)
- "Link! Watch your back!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)
- "Ha ha ha! I followed you all this way..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 16)
- "Move it, hero! Without that head, the monster's fire and ice will mix violently! You can guess what happens next!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 1)