Trial of the Sword
|Trial of the Sword|
|Game(s)||Breath of the Wild|
|Quest Reward(s)||Permanently awakened Master Sword|
The Trial of the Sword can be accessed from the Korok Forest by placing the Master Sword back in its pedestal. If the Master Sword is out of energy, the Trial cannot be accessed. During the challenge, Link will go through a series of floors and must defeat every enemy on a floor to proceed to the next one. At the start of the Trial, he is stripped of all of his weapons, Shields, Bows, Arrows, Armor, Materials and Food. Link is able to use any of the Runes during the Trial, but he is not able to use any Champion abilities. Link begins the Trial with the same amount of Hearts, Stamina and temporary boosts that he had when entering, even with Hearts lost from damage or temporary Hearts. The Trial of the Sword is divided into three sets of floors. Once a set is completed, it can be skipped during future attempts of the Trial; however, Link will begin empty handed when resumed and any item gathered during the challenge will be lost. After completing all 54 floors of the Trial, the Master Sword awakens its true power, allowing it to stay in its powered-up state at all times.
The Beginning Trials are the first 13 floors of the Trial of the Sword. The first 7 floors are forest themed, with each of them containing Trees, Rocks and grass. The sixth floor is the Trial of the Stone Talus. The seventh floor is a resting stop with a Cooking Pot, a Fairy and three Treasure Chests. Floors 8 through 12 all contain water. The twelfth floor is the Trial of the Hinox. On the thirteenth and final floor of the Beginning Trials, Link finds himself in an Ancient Shrine themed room known as the Sword Monk's Shrine, and a mysterious voice tells him that he is now strong enough to wield more of the Master Sword's power. At the end of a long staircase rests the Master Sword in a pedestal, where Link pulls it and is transported back to the Korok Forest.
|2||1×||Big Fire Chuchu|
|4×||Big Fire Chuchu|
|8||1×||Big Electric Chuchu|
The Middle Trials are the middle 17 floors of the Trial of the Sword. The first 4 floors are shrine-themed and feature a constant upward draft over a bottomless pit and scattered platforms. The fifth floor is a resting stop with a Cooking Pot, a Fairy and three Treasure Chests, one of which contains Hylian Trousers. Floors 6 through 10 are in a dark forest setting, not unlike those of Thyphlo Ruins. The tenth floor is the Trial of the Hinox. Floor 11 is another resting stop with a Cooking Pot, two fairies, and three Treasure Chests, one of which contains a Hylian Tunic. Floors 12 through 16 are again shrine-themed, but exclusively feature Guardian Scouts. On the seventeenth floor, Link returns to the Sword Monk's Shrine, where the Master Sword rests on a different pedestal that is now connected to the previous pedestal by an added walkway.
|1×||Big Electric Chuchu|
|12||6×||Guardian Scout I|
|13||3×||Guardian Scout II|
|14||4×||Guardian Scout I|
|2×||Guardian Scout II|
|15||2×||Guardian Scout III|
|16||1×||Guardian Scout IV|
The Final Trials are the final 24 floors of the Trial of the Sword. The first 5 floors are set in a jungle during a thunderstorm and feature Stal enemies. The fifth floor is the Trial of the Stalnox. The sixth floor is a resting floor with a Cooking Pot, a Fairy and three Treasure Chests, one of which contains Flamebreaker Boots. Floors 6 through 11 are volcano-themed, complete with burning temperatures. The eleventh floor is the Trial of the Igneo Talus. The twelfth floor is another resting floor, with a Cooking Pot, two Fairies, and three Treasure Chests, one of which containing a Royal Guard's Shield, a Stone Smasher, and a Hylian Tunic. Floors 13 through 17 are ice-themed, with appropriate temperatures. The sixteenth floor is the Trial of the Frost Talus. The eighteenth floor is another resting spot with a Cooking Pot, three Fairies and three Treasure Chests. Inside the Treasure Chests, Link can find a Royal Broadsword, a Royal Shield, and a Royal Bow. Floors 19 through 23 are set in ruins and feature various Guardians. On the twenty-fourth floor, Link returns to the Sword Monk's Shrine. This time, the pathways lead a final pedestal with the Master Sword, surrounded by the seven unnamed Monks who prepared the Trial of the Sword and now deem Link worthy of the fully awakened Master Sword. They then disappear, having fulfilled their duty, leaving Link to pull out the now fully awakened Master Sword.
Unlike the other floors, three of the floors contain Animals that don't need to be defeated before progressing to the next floor. Specifically, there are Stalhorses on the fourth floor and regular Horses on the twentieth, twenty-second, and twenty-third floors.
|3||2×||Big Electric Chuchu|
|7||1×||Big Fire Chuchu|
|1×||Big Ice Chuchu|
|14||2×||Big Ice Chuchu|
- The Trial of the Sword was originally called the Cave of Trials during the Expansion Pass announcement.
- Each of the seven Monks at the end of the Trial of the Sword have posed their arms in a way that mimics the poses of the seven Sages when they were sealing Ganon in Ocarina of Time.
- "You cannot participate in the Trial when the Master Sword is out of energy." — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "When you get to a certain sacred location, you can take on the new "Trial of the Sword" challenge. Face an onslaught of enemies, one wave after another. Link starts the challenge without any equipment or weapons. When all the enemies in a room are defeated, Link proceeds to the next. Clear all the trials (about 45 rooms in total), and the true power of the Master Sword awakens." — Expansion Pass DLC Pack 1 Detailed, Zelda.com, retrieved May 1, 2017.
- "To the one chosen by the sacred blade...I commend your efforts in this trial. You are now strong enough to wield more of the Master Sword's power than ever before. Courageous hero...chosen by the blade... Take hold of the Master Sword." — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- "You have done well...The depth of your heroism is beyond question. We are the ones who prepared this trial, following a revelation from the Goddess Hylia. To the one who has overcome the Trial of the Sword...you have proven your hand worthy of the legendary Master Sword. Now that the hero has gained the power necessary to combat the Calamity, our sacred duty has been fulfilled." — N/A (Breath of the Wild)
- Nintendo, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass, YouTube (Video), published February 14, 2017, retrieved May 2, 2017.
- "Okay, so I just finished the Trial of the Sword and immediately noticed the 7 monks are representing the 7 Sages." — kamuilyn, Okay, so I just finished the Trial of the Sword and immediately noticed the 7 monks are representing the 7 Sages. : Breath_of_the_Wild, Reddit, published April 16, 2018, retrieved April 18, 2018.