Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Appearances and Features
The Adventure of Link
The townsfolk of Ruto give helpful advice to Link, such as warning him to not go south without a Candle, as well as giving him clues about the whereabouts of the powerful Hammer. It is also here that Link meets Error, who tells him about a hidden tunnel near the Mido Town after Link meets a man there.
- Princess Ruto, one of the Seven Sages from Ocarina of Time, shares a name with this town. Eiji Aonuma stated that this was to form a sense of continuity between the games, to make it seem as if the town from The Adventure of Link had been named after the character from Ocarina of Time. Ocarina of Time, though it was released after The Adventure of Link, takes place earlier chronologically.
The Japanese kanji Ru means "to stay", while To means "capital city". 
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Ville de Ruto||City of Ruto|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 108 (TAoL)
- "TOWN OF RUTO" — Sign (The Adventure of Link)
- "GORIYA OF TANTARI STOLE OUR TROPHY" — Old Man's Niece (The Adventure of Link)
- "DO NOT GO SOUTH WITHOUT A CANDLE." — Young Woman in Town of Ruto (The Adventure of Link)
- "HAMMER... SPECTACLE ROCK... DEATH MTN." — Old Lady (The Adventure of Link)
- "SOUTH OF KINGS TOMB IN MIDO IS A TUNNEL." — Error (The Adventure of Link)
- "ASK ERROR OF RUTO ABOUT THE PALACE" — Man in Mido Town (The Adventure of Link)
- "Between bites, Zelda tells him about her quest. 'Have you seen anything or anyone unusual in town?' she asks. 'In town?' The gatekeeper shakes his head. 'No,' he says. 'But just out of town there's a strange newcomer--a beekeeper.' [...] 'Name of Conly,' Aldo replies. 'Very strange. He lives just out of town, back along the road a bit. Folks say his bees are magic.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)
- "'Take my advise and don't go see Conly until you've learned how to make a deal with him.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 56)
- "The old fortune-teller whirls about and her silk robe flies off. Instead of the face of a kindly old woman, Zelda looks into the distorted features of a wizzrobe!" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 12)
- "'Welcome!' an inhuman voice whispers from the shadows. 'Who's there?' Zelda demands, pulling back on her bowstring. A tall, armored figure steps into the moonlight. 'A darknut!' Zelda whispers. Without another word, the evil knight charges, his shield held high, his long blade slicing the air." (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 49)
- "Her eyes travel over the battlement and stop on a strange object set in the floor. [...] 'A handprint!' she says in surprise. 'Pressed into the stone. And that mark!' [...] 'That's Ganon's mark! It must be his handprint.' The she thinks of the riddle. 'What's colder than ice?' she says. 'Ganon's hand! His touch is the coldest thing in the world.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 44)
- "Zelda starts to tell her tale but Estragon has already heard. 'You always knew when I was in trouble,' she says. 'Do you know how I can get the magic honey?' 'With this,' he replies and places a small flask on the table. 'The sap of the fairy flower tree. The beekeeper uses it to make his favorite drink.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway), pg. 49)
- "'Hmm,' he says. 'Maybe I should bypass the swamp and go west, by Ruto Town. Of course, there's still Moruge Swamp to the south of Ruto, but that's safer than Midoro." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 111)
- "'A key!' he says with a wink. 'A key, that's what she is! Listen, take my advice and don't go through Ruto on your way to Saria. Terrible traffic jam in there.' Before Link can ask any more questions, the man turns and disappears into the tall grass by the roadside." (The Shadow Prince (Mammoth), pg. 70)
- Given Name RUTO, behindthename.com.
|Major locations in The Adventure of Link|
Click on a location
|Towns in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link|
|Rauru Town · Ruto Town · Saria Town · Mido Town · Nabooru Town · Darunia Town · Old Kasuto Town · New Kasuto Town|