Please take a moment to fill out this survey on your gaming habits!
Reincarnated Fairy? (HW | HWL)
(Self-Proclaimed) Reincarnated Fairy (HWDE)
Takeharu Onishi (MM)
Hironori Miyata (TWW | FSA | SSBB | SSB4 | HW)
Kazuyuki Kurashima (FPTRR)
Tingle is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series. He is known for his flamboyant behavior, catchphrase, and outfit: red briefs worn over a green full-body jumpsuit with a pointy head and ears. He is often seen floating in the air, attached to a red balloon.
Tingle first appeared as a map merchant in Majora's Mask. He has a significant role in The Wind Waker, and has minor roles in Oracle of Ages, Four Swords Adventures, and The Minish Cap. References have been made to his character in nearly every major title since then. Three spin-off games and a DSiWare app centered on Tingle were released from 2006 to 2009.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Other Appearances
- 3 Kooloo-Limpah
- 4 Name Origin
- 5 Reception
- 6 Nomenclature
- 7 Gallery
- 8 See Also
- 9 References
In Majora's Mask, Tingle is the son of the Swamp Tourist Center Guide. He is 35 years old and claims to be the reincarnation of a Fairy. He is looking for a fairy of his own and is eager to be friends with Link on account of Tatl. Tingle's father is exasperated by his son's immaturity and still refers to Tingle as a child despite his age.
Tingle can be found in each region of Termina:
- in North Clock Town
- on the Road to Southern Swamp
- on the Road to Goron Village
- on Milk Road
- above the Marine Research Laboratory on the Great Bay Coast
- atop Ikana Canyon near the Music Box House.
In each region, Tingle sells two maps: the map of that region and the map of the next region in Link's quest. Tingle sells the maps for other regions at a premium of 40 Rupees. It is cheaper for Link to buy the map of a region in the region itself—5 Rupees for the map of Clock Town, 20 for the others.
Wares and Pricing
|North Clock Town||Clock Town||5 Rupees|
|Road to Southern Swamp||Woodfall||20 Rupees|
|Road to Goron Village||Snowhead||20 Rupees|
|Romani Ranch||40 Rupees|
|Milk Road||Romani Ranch||20 Rupees|
|Great Bay||40 Rupees|
|Great Bay Coast||Great Bay||20 Rupees|
|Stone Tower||40 Rupees|
|Ikana Canyon||Stone Tower||20 Rupees|
|Clock Town||40 Rupees|
Link can submit a pictograph of Tingle to win the Swamp Pictograph Contest managed by Tingle's father.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, Tingle can be found floating on top of a stump in the Forest of Time. To reach Tingle, Link needs Ricky's assistance the first time, as his path is blocked by holes and cliffs. There is an alternate route through a cave to Tingle that does not require Ricky, but in order to extend the bridge across the gap, Link needs the Seed Shooter to hit a Crystal Switch around a corner. Tingle gives Link the Island Chart that he uses while crossing the sea to reach Crescent Island. If Link returns later, Tingle will also give Link an upgraded Seed Satchel.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, the people of Windfall Island had put Tingle in jail for stealing a Picto Box. Once Link frees him, Tingle gives him the Tingle Tuner in return so Link can ask him for help at any time. Afterwards, Link can find Tingle on Tingle Island, where he also meets Tingle's younger brother Ankle and his friend David Jr. Link can also meet Knuckle, Tingle's other brother, on Outset Island. Tingle can translate Triforce Charts for Link so he can find the Triforce Shards at a price of 398 Rupees each.
By using the Tingle Tuner, Link can interact with Tingle. The young hero can buy items from him, find hidden Tingle Statues in dungeons, and fulfill sidequests on Windfall and Outset Islands. In the Tower of the Gods, five legendary pages can be found, which tell the history of Tingle from Majora's Mask. In The Wind Waker HD, Tingle's Tuner is replaced by the Tingle Bottle, thereby removing various interactions with Tingle.
|Tingle (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
Favorite Things: Fairies, deciphering maps
It's been several years since Tingle first became enchanted with deciphering maps in the hopes it would help him find fairies, and he's lost many things during that time.
He's raising funds to begin his search for fairies, hoping to embark sometime in his thirties, while the lust of life is still upon him. At the age of 35, the pressure's on!
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Tingle collects Force Gems. Throughout the game, anytime Link finds a big Force Gem outside of dungeons, Tingle will also try to get it. If Link picks up the Force Gem first, he will retreat. Link can also shoot an Arrow at Tingle to slow him down. Tingle also tries to pick up the huge Force Gems, but his balloon can not carry them.
Tingle posts signs throughout the stages called the Tingle Times, which tell a story of an experience Tingle had in the area, offering insight to his childish nature. Tingle also runs the Tingle's Tower, a multiplayer minigame gallery that can be accessed by progressing through the Hyrulean Adventure mode.
The Minish Cap
Tingle appears in The Minish Cap, found on a ledge east of Link's House after Link initially fails to cross Castor Wilds. When spoken to, Tingle mistakes Link for a Fairy and promptly requests that they Fuse Kinstones. Tingle will also tell Link that he gave Kinstones to his Siblings?, and promises that if Link Fuses Kinstones with each of them, he will receive something significantly beneficial. Tingle hopes to become a Fairy by Fusing Kinstones.
When Link successfully Fuses Kinstones with Tingle, one of the Trees in North Hyrule Field will open, revealing a Switch connected to a Torch and a Treasure Chest containing a Kinstone Piece. When spoken to afterwards, Tingle and his brothers will tell Link how many Kinstone Fusions he has left to complete. When Link has Fused all 100 Kinstones, Tingle will give him the Tingle Trophy, which replaces his Kinstone Bag. After Link Fuses Kinstones with all of the Tingle Siblings?, he will offer to Fuse Kinstones with Link again, which will cause a Golden Tektite to appear on Mount Crenel.
Tingle's likeness appears on a wanted poster in Mercay Tavern.
A figurine of Tingle can be found in several houses and shops in Spirit Tracks, namely the Trading Post, where it can be seen in the credits. The Trading Post also has a golden version of the figurine on a higher shelf.
Ferrus has a poster of Tingle in his house.
Unreleased Vanpool game
Kooloo-Limpah are Tingle's "magic" words he created. Kooloo-Limpah is a romanization of "kururinpa," the sound that Japanese people make when doing the "Cuckoo sign," a circling motion of the index finger at the ear or side of the head that signifies that a person is crazy.
Tingle is one of the series' most controversial characters. In 2004, IGN staff launched a "Die Tingle, Die!" campaign, expressing the editors' wish not to see the character in another Zelda game. The campaign cites Tingle's role in the "tedious fetch quests" of The Wind Waker.
|Names in Other Regions|
|ChineseSI||汀空 (Tīngkōng)||From the Japanese name.|
|FrenchCA||Tingle||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Tingle||Same as English.|
|German||Tingle||Same as English.|
|Italian||Tingle||Same as English.|
|SpanishEU||Tingle||Same as English.|
|SpanishLA||Tingle||Same as English.|
- "It's been several years since Tingle first became enchanted with deciphering maps in the hopes it would help him find fairies, and he's lost many things during that time." — Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 244,(MM) 254,(OoA) 259(TWW) & 270(TMC)
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books) pg. 255(FSA)
- "Blimey! Where is he? That spoiled child is off playin' hooky again! A child his age has no business searching for fairies...!" — Swamp Tourist Center Guide (Majora's Mask)
- "Alas, though I am already age 35, no fairy has come to me yet... My father tells me to grow up and act my age, but why? I tell you...Tingle is the very reincarnation of a fairy!" — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Now while I stand here waiting for a fairy of my own, I sell maps to help out my father." — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Lucky! Lucky! You're so lucky to have a fairy! I know! I know! We should be friends! Yes! Yes! In exchange, I will sell you a map for cheap as a sign of my friendship." — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Huh?... A white fairy? The way you look? Ohh... Magic, isn't it, sir?" — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... How old is Tingle, the map salesman?: 15, 25, 35" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... What are the magic words that Tingle created? Tingle, Tingle...what?: Abracadabra!, Kookoo-Tingle-Rama!, Kooloo-Limpah!" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... Is Tingle the mapmaker left-handed or right-handed?: Left-handed, Right-handed, Ambidextrous" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... What color of trunks does Tingle the mapmaker wear?: Yellow, He doesn't wear any, Red" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Tingle is my name! I have been looking for you and your kind, for I, too, long to be one of the fairy folk! And yet, I was mistaken for some kind of troublemaker and put into this dreadful sort of place! How disrespectful! Please, Mr. Fairy... Rescue poor Tingle from this place and take him to where you and your kind live in splendor!" — Tingle (The Wind Waker)
- "That green cap and green clothes... Are you...perhaps...a fairy?! Woohaaa!♪ I knew it! I knew it! Tingle wants to be a fairy, too!♪ Actually, Tingle has some Kinstones, you know!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "And I have given Kinstones to my brothers, too. If you can fuse Kinstones with me and each of my brothers, well... I don't want to give it away, but you'll get something very, very, VERY good! Good luck, Mr. Fairy!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "They fit perfectly! At last, Tingle can finally turn into a fairy, too!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "You want to fuse Kinstones? Oh, Tingle is so happy!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "Oh, no, no, no! Why, you still have XX Kinstones left to fuse! Why, you've only just begun! The road is long, Mr. Fairy!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "Hey! Mr. Fairy! You've got some nice pieces there! Would you be surprised to know Tingle has a new piece, too? Let's fuse them!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "チンクルはほかのソフトでも活躍（注11）してることもあって、チンクルとは名乗っていないんですけど…。でも、あのスタアマンは「チンクルをリアルにしたらどうなるんだろう？」ってことで、開発当初に中野（祐輔さん＝メインキャラクターデザイナー）がラフで描きおこしたものがベースになってるんです。" —Eiji Aonuma (Eiji Aonuma interview)
- "Looking back eight years ago, we were developing a horror game with Vanpool that starred Tingle as the main character, but that project was canceled due to a variety of reasons." —Kensuke Tanabe (The Makers Of Nintendo's Latest Hidden Gem Worry People Missed It)
- "Use a Strong Attack to trigger the quick escape function, allowing you to dodge attacks or dish out further Regular or Combo Attacks." — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Actually, Tingle was a character we kind of considered and sort of went back and forth on. We really wanted to include him but Mr. Aonuma suggested that it might be good to include some other character." — Sickr, Aonuma Told The Hyrule Warriors Team Not To Add Tingle, My Nintendo News, published January 5, 2015.
- "Tingle, Tingle! Kooloo-Limpah! ...These are the magic words that Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!" — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- Vanpool Interview, Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland Microsite.
- "In Rupeeland, everyone will be made into a tingle!" — The Grand Fairy (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)