|Use(s)||Hearing chiptune music|
Location and Uses
The Timeless Tunic is an Outfit that can be tailored at Madame Couture's at a cost of three Friendly Tokens and 100 Rupees. It is available for purchase from the start of the game. Unlike all other Outfits, which appear as articles of clothing, the Timeless Tunic changes Link's entire appearance into a faux-retro voxel look.
Wearing the Timeless Tunic causes all of the game's music to resemble 8-bit chiptunes in the style of the NES or the Game Boy, as well as altering Link's sound effects and voice clips to sound like they were produced by a classic video game console with limited audio capabilities. While only the Link(s) wearing the Timeless Tunic can hear the chiptune music, all other Links present can hear their altered sound effects. If a Link wearing the Timeless Tunic strikes the Lucky Lobby Ball, its songs will begin to play in the chiptune style, returning to normal when a different Link strikes the Ball.
- 8-bit variations of the game's soundtrack were originally created due to limitations of the Nintendo 3DS Download Play feature, as their file sizes are much smaller and easier to transmit than the game's regular music. The Timeless Tunic was then created as a way to let players hear these variations at any time.
|Names in Other Regions|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 141
- "Look like a hero of old with background music pulled from a beloved memory." — Pick an Outfit (Tri Force Heroes)
- "This is related to the technical limitations of Download Play. Tri Force Heroes supports Download Play, which allows people to play the game even if they don’t own it by receiving data to Nintendo 3DS. There is a memory limit for Download Play, so music couldn't be transmitted normally. At first we removed the BGM, but as one would except it feels desolate without music. Therefore staff that was responsible of sound said: "If we created NES-like music, the data would become smaller."" —Hiromasa Shikata (Cheer Outfit’s idol origins, how the Timeless Tunic came to be)
- "As we had created NES-like music under these circumstances, you'd want to listen to it when you like to and not just when using Download Play, and thus Timeless Tunic was born." —Hiromasa Shikata (Cheer Outfit’s idol origins, how the Timeless Tunic came to be)