- This is a page about the item. For the Side Quest, see "The Thunder Helm".
Boosting Link's defense
Protecting from Lightning
Location and Uses
The Thunder Helm is a legendary helmet belonging to Lady Riju, Chief of the Gerudo. It is a cultural treasure of the Gerudo people and holds some of the Champion Urbosa's power. The Thunder Helm was stolen by the Yiga Clan prior to the events of Breath of the Wild. During the "Divine Beast Vah Naboris" Main Quest, Link is tasked with recovering the Helm for Riju by infiltrating the Yiga Clan Hideout. After defeating the leader of the Yiga Clan, Master Kohga, Link will find the Thunder Helm in a Treasure Chest.
Once Link returns the Thunder Helm to Riju, she will wear it and trigger one of Link's memories. With the Thunder Helm now their possession, Link and Riju initiate a plan to get Link inside the Divine Beast Vah Naboris. They ride Sand Seals near Naboris so that Link can disable its feet with Bomb Arrows. Riju wears the Thumder Helm to this encounter, which protects her by absorbing the Lightning of Naboris. Link must stay close to Riju to avoid getting struck by it.
After Link entered Naboris and regains control of it, the Thunder Helm can be found resting on a small pedestal beside Riju on her throne. When Link interacts with the Thunder Helm, Riju will offer to lend it to Link. However, she then says that Link must earn it by gaining the trust of her people. Riju agrees to lend Link the Thunder Helm in exchange for resolving the Gerudo Town people's problems. This beings the Side Quest, "The Thunder Helm". In order to satisfy Riju's terms, Link must complete the four Side Quests in Gerudo Town that pertain to helping the people that live there. This includes "Tools of the Trade", "The Mystery Polluter", "Medicinal Molduga" and "The Search for Barta."
Once Link has done all four Side Quests and returns to Riju, she tells Link that she has heard of his actions in delivering happiness to her people. As a reward, Riju keeps her promise and lends Link the Thunder Helm. Riju assures Link that he will be able to use the Thunder Helm to its fullest potential and unlock the power of Urbosa that lies within. While wearing the Thunder Helm, Link will gain three points of defense and will not take any damage from Lightning strikes.
- Due to an oversight, the Thunder Helm can be permanently lost if Link receives it while his Armor inventory is full. Though Link will "receive" the item, it will not appear in the inventory nor will return to its pedestal, and it cannot be obtained from speaking to Riju again.
- The Thunder Helm is one of three pieces of equipment that will not break Link's disguise if worn with the Gerudo Set, the other two being the Snow Boots and Sand Boots. The Helm, the Gerudo top and either of the boots can be worn together.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Masque du tonnerre|
|SpanishEU||Casco del trueno|
- "You want this Thunder Helm that badly? I bet you do. This special helm still holds some of Urbosa's power." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Good grief... I can't believe the chief's heirloom was stolen by thieves..." — Pritana (Breath of the Wild)
- "Well then, let's see how serious you are. This helm is a cultural treasure. To earn it, you must gain the trust of our people." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "Perhaps if this person were first to prove his worth by recovering your stolen Thunder Helm..." — Buliara (Breath of the Wild)
- "You'll have to stay close if you don't want to be shocked." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "And if you truly desire it, then perhaps I can lend it to you..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I want you to address their concerns and bring a resolute peace to our town." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I have heard of your recent actions. You have returned smiles to the faces of my people..." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "And if it can help a true friend in need, we will gladly lend you this sacred treasure." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- "I know that you, more than any other, will be able to use this Thunder Helm to its fullest potential... I believe you can unlock the power of Urbosa that lies within." — Riju (Breath of the Wild)
- Nintendo3DSChannel, You Can Permanently Lose the Thunder Helm in Zelda Breath of the Wild!, YouTube (Video), published June 9, 2017, retrieved July 26, 2017.