A Thief from Four Swords Adventures
|Habitat(s)||Lost Woods (ALttP)|
Kakariko Village (FSA)
|Member(s)||Average Middle-Aged Man (formerly)|
Blind the Thief
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, Thieves hide out in the Lost Woods and will barge into Link when he attempts to pass, causing him to drop Rupees, Bombs, and Arrows. Once these are scattered, the Thief will rush around grabbing the items from the ground, although Link can also retrieve them if he is fast. Thieves do not cause damage nor can be defeated by any weapon. Sword blows and other attacks will simply knock them back a short distance and stun them. Once they glance at Link they chase him until he is a considerable distance away.
Thieves also appear as friendly characters throughout Hyrule. These Thieves make their hideouts in caves, usually with their collected treasures in Treasure Chests or Pots. They will usually offer advice to Link, while others will even often him large sums of Rupees if he keeps it a secret from everybody. The main hideout for the Thieves of Hyrule is in the Lost Woods, and while many act as enemies, others are outwardly friendly. One of the Thieves in the forest runs a Treasure Chest Game on the north end of the Lost Woods, while another offers a clue about a former Thief that lives near the Desert of Mystery. This Thief is now pretending to be an Average Middle-Aged Man, but is a master locksmith. He will assist Link by opening a locked Treasure Chest containing a Bottle. One Thief who has been cursed and transformed into the shape of a hand in the Dark World asks Link 20 Rupees for telling him his story.
Four Swords Adventures
Thieves in Four Swords Adventures do not cause damage to the Links, but steal their Force Gems. They appear in Kakariko Village and are normal villagers driven to criminality by the influence of the Dark World. To access the northern part of the Village, the Links must trap 10 Thieves by picking them up and throwing them into a fenced in area. Thieves cannot be killed, but can momentarily be stunned by a variety of weapons, including the Swords, Bombs, and Pots.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||とうぞく (Tōzoku)||Same as English.|
- "Thief" (Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 209)
- "I heard that you know I used to be a thief, right? Well, I'll open a chest for you. Will you keep it secret from everyone else? Would you please promise?" — Average Middle-Aged Man (A Link to the Past)
- "Heh heh. Thank you. To tell you the truth, I used to be a thief in the Light World... some of my fellow thieves went into hiding because they were afraid of being caught. One of them was a master locksmith, but now he is hiding the fact that he was a thief... by pretending to be a strange middle-aged guy! Ha ha ha..." — Storytelling Creature (A Link to the Past)
- "All right, kid! Did you see a faerie fly through here? Which way did she go? [...] Yer lyin'!! Don't hide her! We want her magic powers and we want them now!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 12)
- "Come close, Princess. I'll tell you a great secret. Hear me whisper? Trust no one with hair, (heh heh) don't even trust me, (heh heh) I've stolen one of your lives (heh heh)." — Thief in Forest of Ogbam (Zelda's Adventure)