The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Himekawa)
|The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time|
Legendary Edition cover
|Publisher(s)|| VIZ Media|
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a manga by Akira Himekawa loosely based on the story of Ocarina of Time. It was released in Japan by Shogakukan in 2000 and made available in English through VIZ Media in 2008.
A Legendary Edition containing both volumes of the manga was released in Japan on March 10, 2016 and was released in North America on November 1, 2016. This premium edition features new cover art, color pages, sketches and character designs, and new stories and materials.
The contents of the first volume of the manga are broken into two parts with a total of ten chapters. The contents are as follows:
Ocarina of Time
- Chapter 1: The Great Deku Tree Incident
One day in the Kokiri Forest, a young boy, Link, awakens to find the Great Deku Tree in grave danger. When Link and Mido discover that Gohma has been sucking the energy out of the Great Deku Tree, they challenge her in battle and manage to kill her.
- Chapter 2: Link's Journey Begins
- Chapter 3: The Mystery of the Triforce
Princess Zelda tells Link of her dreams and the story of the Triforce.
- Chapter 4: The Search for the Spiritual Stone of Fire!
- Chapter 5: Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
- Chapter 6: The Hero of Time is Born
Hero of Time
- Chapter 1: Sword of Legend: The Master Sword
Link discovers that he has been thrown into a magical sleep for seven years. He awakens to find Hyrule destroyed. Rauru, the Sage of Light, reveals that Ganondorf is behind the destruction of the kingdom and only the seven Sages can stop him.
- Chapter 2: The Sage of the Forest: Saria
Link revisits the Kokiri Forest in an attempt to find the Sage of Forest, Saria. Link finds Mido, who doesn't recognize him, and saves his childhood friend.
- Chapter 3: An Old and Beloved Friend
- Chapter 4: Link vs. Link
The contents of the second volume of the manga continues from the second half of Part One and also includes two additional bonus stories. The contents are as follows:
Hero of Time
- Chapter 5: Shadow Guide: Sheik
- Chapter 6: The Haunted Wasteland
Link, still guided by Sheik, enters a vast desert. Sheik supposedly betrays Link, handing him over to the evil Gerudo. Link is then rescued by Sheik himself and explains that he betrayed Link to remain undercover. The Twinrova attack Sheik, accusing him of being a traitor. Link carries an unconscious Sheik away to safety.
- Chapter 7: A Fated Reunion
Link, with the injured and still unconscious Sheik, camps at an oasis. Link goes to get water and, upon his return, finds Sheik concious and without his face wrap. Sheik removes the rest of his disguise, revealing his true identity as Princess Zelda.
- Chapter 8: Ganondorf Defeated!
Ganondorf appears and kidnaps Zelda. Link, Nabouru and several Gerudo travel to Ganondorf's Castle. The Sages create a bridge and Link confronts him inside the keep. Link barely defeats him and the castle collapses.
- Chapter 9: A New Journey Begins
As Link and Zelda exit the castle, a huge beast appears; it is Ganon's true form. After a heated battle, Link kills him. Zelda plays the Ocarina of Time and sends Link back to save the past Hyrule from its fate.
Ocarina of Time- Bonus Story
- The Skull Kid and the Mask (Part 1)
During the Deku Festival, Link is cast as the main role, the Fairy Prince. This angers Mido which drives him to steal Link's mask. Link and Saria run into the Lost Woods to recover the mask, which has been stolen from Mido. They meet the Skull Kid, who returns the stolen mask.
- The Skull Kid and the Mask (Part 2)
Skull Kid attacks Link and captures Saria in order to steal her face. Link runs after him and discovers that Skull Kid set Saria free. It turns out that the Great Baga Tree is possessing Skull Kid. Link and Mido defeat the tree.
Hero of Time- Bonus Story
- Rouru of the Watarara
Link and Navi rest at the Fishing Hole. Link catches Rouru, a young member of the bird-folk tribe, the Watarara. Link shows Rouru to Dr. Mizumi, who reveals that he fell during migration. Suddenly, a pair of Flare Dancers appear. Link and Rouru team up to defeat them. They accidentally start falling but Elrora, Rouru's mother, comes to save them both.
Characters Exclusive to the Manga
- The Watarara race
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ゼルダの伝説 時のオカリナ (Zeruda no Densetsu: Toki no Okarina)||The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time|
- "Date de parution : 14/10/2009" — Legend of Zelda 02 - Ocarina of Time 1, Editions Soleil, retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Date de parution : 14/10/2009" — Legend of Zelda 03 - Ocarina of Time 2, Editions Soleil, retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "Single volume, from 17.11.2016, € 14,00" — TOKYOPOP, The Legend of Zelda – Perfect Edition, Official TOKYOPOP website, retrieved August 13, 2016.
- "Date de parution : 30/11/2016" — Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time - Perfect Edition, Editions Soleil, retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), the largest publisher, distributor and licensor of manga and anime in North America brings back the celebrated manga (graphic novel) series for THE LEGEND OF ZELDA on November 1st. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LEGENDARY EDITION is a new series of 2-in-1 releases of the classic 10-volume fantasy adventure. THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: LEGENDARY EDITION each contain two complete volumes of THE LEGEND OF ZELDA manga series, presented in a deluxe format featuring new covers and color artwork by creator Akira Himekawa, and will be printed in a larger 5-3/4” x 8-1/4” format." — PUBLISHING ANNOUNCEMENT, VIZ Media official website, published April 18, 2016, retrieved June 21, 2016.
- "For the entire run of this edition we'll have new material, including some sketches and character designs, some new stories for the first time in English, and other small editorial things we took special care with that we hope fans will appreciate." —Joel Enos (Viz Media Releases The Legend Of Zelda: Legendary Edition Omnibus Graphic Novel)