The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia
|The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia|
|Publisher(s)|| Dark Horse Books|
|ISBN|| ISBN-10: 1-61655-041-4|
The book was released on December 21, 2011 in Japan with a cost of ¥3,255. An English version was released by Dark Horse Comics on January 29, 2013 at the price of $34.99. Dark Horse also released a limited edition with an alternate cover and gilded pages. It was limited to 4,000 copies. Hyrule Historia was also released digitally as part of The Wind Waker HD Wii U bundle released on September 20, 2013. The bundle included a download code for the digital version of the book viewable on the console itself.
On the 25th Anniversary of The Legend of Zelda
The first couple of pages are a message from Shigeru Miyamoto giving a brief history of the series, as well as thanking those who have played, and continue to play the games. This message is accompanied with a list of his involvement with each game in the series.
The Legend Begins
The first section, titled "The Legend Begins", provides a comprehensive look into Skyward Sword. The contents provide a behind-the-scene look at concept art and designs, along with designer notes of various people, creatures, towns, lands and dungeons. Though most appear in the game, included are unused people and locations that appear to have been planned, or talked about during the production of the game. Located on the bottom of some pages are various notes giving brief information regarding the history or similarities of the creature or item detailed on the specific page.
The History of Hyrule
"The History of Hyrule" chronicles the history of Hyrule based on the main games of the series. Opening this section is a suggested complete take on the Zelda Timeline. With the time line set, the section continues on; starting with the creation of the land of Hyrule leading up through the events of Ocarina of Time, then goes through each split and sub-split of the time line while categorizing the games into eras. As it goes through the time line, each game's story is detailed out historically while some include information regarding the Hylian Language of that era.
Much like the section "The Legend Begins", "Creative Footprints" is filled with artwork spanning the 25 years of the franchise. Lacking the volume of material seen in "The Legend Begins" section per individual game, this section provides detailed sketches of character, land and dungeon development; along with changes in Link, Princess Zelda and Ganon throughout the course of the series. This section is closed out with a list of the game catalog leading up to Ocarina of Time 3D; including "elusive and rare" Zelda titles.
Wrapping Things Up
"Wrapping Things Up" is a 2-page message from Eiji Aonuma providing insight into Hyrule Historia and gratitude for the players of the series. This message is accompanied with a list of his involvement with the games of the series, since becoming involved with Ocarina of Time
Skyward Sword (Himekawa)
As an added bonus, a 32-page manga written on Skyward Sword was added at the end of the book.
- "Dark Horse Books and Nintendo team up to bring you The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia, containing an unparalleled collection of historical information on The Legend of Zelda franchise. This handsome hardcover contains never-before-seen concept art, the full history of Hyrule, the official chronology of the games, and much more! [...] Price: $34.99 ($38.99 CAN)" — January 2013 New Releases; retrieved Aug. 16 2012, Diamond Book Distributors.
- "Hyrule Historia goes on sale December 21st for 3,255 yen (about US $41.72)." — Nintendo Announces Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Encyclopedia; retrieved Dec. 15 2011, Crunchy Roll.
- The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia - Tokyopop Manga-Shop, Tokyopop, retrieved 2013-03-24.
- "Date de parution : 01/11/2013" — Legend of Zelda - Hyrule Historia, Editions Soleil official website, retrieved November 30, 2016.
- "The bundle will feature a black Deluxe Wii U console, a GamePad controller decorated with the Hyrule crest and symbols from the game in gold, a download code for The Wind Waker HD and a digital copy of Hyrule Historia, the compilation commemorating The Legend of Zelda series." — Alexa Ray Corriea, The Wind Waker HD Wii U bundle coming Sept. 20, Polygon, published august 28, 2013, retrieved November 11, 2016.
- "The book, published by Shogakukan, is 274 pages broken down into three sections. First, "The Origin Story" basically goes over the world introduced in Skyward Sword. "A Complete History of Hyrule" makes up the second section. The rest of the book is devoted to artwork from the series spanning its 25-year existence, including a 32-page manga by artist unit Akira Himekawa (who have done previous Legend of Zelda manga)." — Nintendo Announces Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Encyclopedia; retrieved Dec. 15 2011, Crunchy Roll.