Telescope artwork from The Wind Waker
See distant objects
Uses and Location
The Wind Waker
The Telescope is Aryll's most treasured possession. Despite this, she lends it to her brother Link at the beginning of the game as a birthday present. Although she says she will let him borrow it for one day only, he ends up keeping it for the remainder of the game after she gets kidnapped.
With the Telescope, Link notices Quill looking up at the sky at the Helmaroc King kidnapping Tetra, and it is also the only time the Telescope is needed to advance the story of the game. The Telescope is also useful to locate elements that are too far from Link's first glance, such as the seagulls surrounding a Big Octo, or a Submarine.
The Kaleidoscope is the second item in the Phantom Hourglass trading sequence. When Link takes the Hero's New Clothes to Nyeve on board the Traveler's Ship in the North Western Sea, he will be given the Kaleidoscope, which he mistakes for a Telescope at first. The Kaleidoscope needs to be taken to the Ho Ho Tribe to receive the Guard Notebook.
Cadence of Hyrule
- Telescopes are also used by many other characters and enemies in The Wind Waker. These include Zuko, Bokoblins, the Old Man Ho Ho, and Kamo. The Old Man Ho Ho also uses a Kaleidoscope in one instance.
- A Telescope resembling Aryll's can be seen in the background of the Linebeck Trading Company. It is unknown whether it is hers or merely a replica.[verification needed]
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||望遠鏡 (Bōenkyō)||万華鏡 (Mangekyō)|
Telescopio de mano (PH)
- "I'm letting you borrow this special gift just because you're my big brother!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "You got the Telescope! This is your sister's most precious belonging. Treasure it dearly! Set it to [Y], [Z], or [X] and use it by pressing whatever button you set it to. Do it now, and see what you can see!" — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "Hey, what's that? Link! Are you looking at the red postbox? The postman looks kinda weird, doesn't he? AAAAAHH! Link! The sky! Look up in the sky! Link, this is so terrible! That girl fell into the forest! You have to go help her!" — Aryll (The Wind Waker)
- "You got the telescope! Now you can see far-off things. No, wait... It's just a kaleidoscope! Too bad..." — N/A (Phantom Hourglass)
- "You got the telescope! This allows you to see farther, revealing more screens on the map. Open the map screen by pressing +. (You may then have to press L to see it!)" — N/A (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "This increases the exploration range in your overworld map, revealing more adjacent screens for you to see." — N/A (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Ho ho! So beautiful! Incredibly beautiful! I'm so glad I bought this kaleidoscope!" — Old Man Ho Ho (The Wind Waker)
|Phantom Hourglass Trading Quest|
|Hero's New Clothes 🠊 Kaleidoscope 🠊 Guard Notebook 🠊 Wood Heart 🠊 Swordsman's Scroll|