Yes, Oren is probably a homage, or at very least an inspiration, but that does not mean in-universe that they are related. There have been many differnet sages; Twilight Princess and Wind Waker ring a bell? There was no reason to believe Laruto is a descendant of Ruto, so why should we think that Oren and Ruto are related? Champion of Nayru (talk) 19:25, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
- In the Downfall Timeline, the events of OoT occurred up until the final battle. This means that Ruto was one of the sages in this timeline. ALBW establishes that Oren is a descendant of one of the sages. Ruto was the only Zora among them. Oren is a Zora. This isn't a kooky theory with no backing. You mention Laruto, but that is a false analogy since nowhere in the game is it established that she is a descendant of a previous sage.Ganondorfdude11 (talk) 19:43, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
- Laruto's actually a different type of sage. She's known as the Sage of Earth, not the Sage of Water. We already was figured out that Laruto has not connection with Ruto. But Oren is most likely related to Ruto.--Prince Ludwig (talk) 19:51, 30 November 2013 (UTC)
- There are a lot of loose ends in trying to determine who is the descendant of who in A Link Between Worlds. It's clear that these characters are homages to the sages in Ocarina of Time, and they are specifically called descendants of the sages in A Link to the Past (who are descendants of sages in Ocarina of Time). Still, there's a lot of "don't take this too seriously, it's a video game" logic present.
- The biggest problem is simply that all of the maidens in A Link to the Past are shown as Hylians. So, we have Ruto, who's descendant is a Hylian, who's descendant is a Zora again?
- I think there's a chance that the translation for "descendant" is a bit off. I'm beginning to believe that the powers of a sage are passed on, but not by blood. In other words, the appropriate term would be "successor" instead of "descendant".
- Simply put, I don't think we have a clear cut argument for saying that Oren is the descendant of Ruto. These characters cannot "logically" be the direct descendant of the sages in Ocarina of Time. Gulley isn't a Kokiri. Rosso isn't a Goron. Princess Zelda isn't one of the sages.--Joshua (Yumil) (talk) 22:06, 30 November 2013 (UTC)