Backing Up the Trolley a Bit...
A lot of effort has certainly been put into this page! But there are two glaring issues that should be addressed soon. The biggest one, for me, is lack of references. This article is huge and not a single line is referenced. This needs to be fixed asap with in-game quotes. For example, I couldn't even find the words "Ancient Battle" together in the text dump (admittedly, I just did a ctrl+F search, so I may have missed it if it was broken up. But still. Where is this name from??).
Second is the length and content. This article is called "Ancient Battle" but starts at the Creation of Hyrule and then recounts all the major events of Skyward Sword in massive detail. How is all this relevant? Ultimately, this article is going to have to be massively downsized to relevant information only. There's just too much unnecessary retelling. —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 00:18, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
- The name was on the page for articles wanted, and it is on the page for Hyrule, so don't ask me where it came from. Someone else obviously had it in mind. I just saw it was a page that was wanted and set to building it. Secondly, I don't see how it is that long really, when the events of this battle are only vaguely referred to and it does begin with the world's creation. You have to have the background and aftermath (the catalyst and the resolution) of the battle in my view, and that appears to be what was done on other event pages. I am new to this, so forgive me for possibly not knowing protocol yet, but as for referencing, I don't yet know how to do it. I was hoping someone else would step in and help me do it instead of me having to do everything by myself when I am not fully experienced with all the programming or coding that goes into that. As for length or reduction, you won't be left with much if you cut out the background and resolution from the page since so little is known of the specifics of this battle. Considering the immense amount of events that take place in Skyward Sword and the size of the plot on the Skyward Sword page, I don't see four reasonably sized paragraphs that are each carefully connected to the events mentioned in the sections about the battle as being overly long. I personally don't see how you can say the background or resolution are that long, since compared to other pages on the wiki they are actually very much abbreviated versions of the events. Do what you will with the content, but I don't see your points when compared to other pages, just saying. I put a lot of work into the page and even shortened some of it myself. I just don't see a need to shorten it any further. But that's just my opinion. Help with referencing would be nice however. Ghirahim87 01:15, 26 April 2013 (UTC)
- I don't think Embyr intended for her comment to be directed at you, Ghirahim87. No one is saying that you alone are responsible for this page because you created it. To the contrary, wikis are all about collaboration. Ideally, no page should have only a name or two in its history.
- Anyway, I think Embyr was merely stating what she thought still needed to be done, by anyone, to improve the article. At a glance, I think I agree with her. I won't say any more than that, though, until I take the time to read it all thoroughly. I'll follow up on that when I can. (I'm speaking, of course, of the length issue. The need for references is inarguable.)
- Speaking of which, if you want to learn about referencing, Help:Citing Sources is the best place to start, if you haven't already checked it out.
- Basically, yes to everything HK said above. Sorry if I sounded like I was berating you, that was totally not my intention. In fact, I was really impressed by the thought put into this article so far. But it does have a couple issues that will eventually need to be cleaned up, like the references, by whoever cares to do so. So I hope we can work together to make this article the best it can be. :)
- I appreciate what both of you have said, and I do appreciate your words especially Embyr. And I would like to help you both out. Can you tell me specifically how I can help make it up to standards? And also, once we are done with this page, do either of you know of any pages in particular you would like me to try and work on next? I would also like to get in some practice with referencing in my next few projects too. Just tell me what to do, and I will carry it out. :) Ghirahim87 16:04, 27 April 2013 (UTC)