|Use(s)||Obtaining the "Song of the Hero"|
Replenishing the Oxygen Gauge
|Comparable Item(s)||Zora Eggs|
Tadtones are items in Skyward Sword.
Location and Uses
In order to get rid of monsters tainting her realm, Faron floods the Faron Woods. Link must then collect the Tadtones in order to prove that he is worthy to receive Faron's portion of the "Song of the Hero."
Tadtones appear in six colors: red, yellow, green, cyan, violet, and magenta, denoting their membership in groups of several Tadtones each. Each same color group of Tadtones corresponds to a sequence of as many notes in the musical score and its members must be collected consecutively before other Tadtones are collected, otherwise they will leave Link's inventory and must be collected again. Members of a given group of Tadtones are generally found close together. This behaviour is useful for catching multiple Tadtones at a time by using the spin maneuver to pull them towards Link.
Tadtones replenish air when collected, however, purple bubbles of poison gas that rapidly deplete Link's Oxygen Gauge also appear. In some cases, violet Tadtones are camouflaged near the poison bubbles. Link must also avoid Blue Chuchus, Froaks, and Craniocs while collecting the Tadtones. Tadtones are said to get along with everyone, meaning they can be found where other fish swim.
It is possible to dowse for Tadtones, however, this option only becomes available partway through the challenge after Link has collected a certain number of Tadtones. The ability is obtained by talking to Bucha. Link must stand on the floating vegetation or the top of the Great Tree in order to dowse.
Tadtones and the Zora hatchlings are based on a pun, as the Japanese word for "musical note" is the same as the word for "tadpole."
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||おたまじゃくし (Otamajakushi)||Tadpole/Musical note|
- "As it happens, almost every inch of greenery in the area is submerged. So it's here, in this flooded land, that I will test you. If you're up to completing the task I ask of you, I see no reason why I shouldn't reward you with the melody you seek. As you just saw, I have split the melody you seek among my many Tadtones and I have hidden them around the forest. If you haven't already guessed, Link, here's your task: take this score and collect all my little musical friends out there. You can use that score to figure out how many Tadtones are in each group. Find them, collect them, and bring them back to me. If you can do that, well, then I'll just have to see you as someone worthy of learning the Song of the Hero." — Faron (Skyward Sword)
- "Some Tadtones hang out in groups. You have to catch those similar Tadtones one right after the other, or they'll swim out of your score." — Parella (Skyward Sword)
- "If you want to catch a bunch at once, use a spin maneuver to draw in nearby Tadtones. That's your best bet." — Parella (Skyward Sword)
- "Hey, Link! Some nasty fish seem to have swam their way into the flooded woods. I'd hate to bump into those things underwater, kewww!" — Bucha (Skyward Sword)
- "Tadtones get along with everybody. You can usually find them where other fish are swimming." — Parella (Skyward Sword)
- "There was a technique you used when searching for the others of my tribe remember? That! Use that thing you do, kewww, and you'll have a much easier time getting those Tadtones!" — Bucha (Skyward Sword)
- "However, please note that you cannot use your dowsing ability underwater." — Fi (Skyward Sword)