Era of Light and Dark
Syrup is a recurring character in the The Legend of Zelda series. She is an old witch who brews Potions and sells them to Link on his adventures. Syrup is always found in or around her Witch's Hut, where she sells her potions, and is always stirring a cauldron filled with some concoction. Syrup has an apprentice named Maple, who is also her granddaughter. Maple runs errands for Syrup, who never leaves the shop. Despite this, Syrup seems to be rather unappreciative of her apprentice.
A Link to the Past
Syrup appears for the first time in A Link to the Past, just outside her Magic Shop near Zora's River, where she sells her Red, Green, and Blue Potions. Maple serves as the shopkeeper for the potion shop, but only in the Game Boy Advance version of the game (a Hooded Shopkeeper is found in her place in the original version). Syrup herself will be stirring her "mushroom brew". Link can give her the Magic Mushroom he found in the Lost Woods to help her complete her brew, the final product being Magic Powder. When Link returns to the Magic Shop, he can pick up the Magic Powder held by the apprentice.
In Link's Awakening, Syrup lives inside her Hut on the Koholint Prairie. She will make Link some Magic Powder once he gives her the Sleepy Toadstool he found in the Mysterious Woods. She will also teach Link how to use the Powder. Syrup will replenish Link's supply Magic Powder whenever needed, so long as he provides more Toadstools.
Oracle of Seasons
Syrup resides in the Sunken City in Oracle of Seasons. To reach her hut, it must be winter in the city, as the Snow creates a slope leading to the otherwise inaccessible rise on which the hut is built. At first, Syrup will not have anything on sale in her shop, as she does not have the ingredients to make her Magic Potion. However, as part of the Oracle of Seasons Trading Sequence, Link must trade her the Mushroom he obtained from Talon atop Mount Cucco in exchange for her Wooden Bird. With the mushroom, Syrup is able to make her Magic Potion, allowing her to open her shop.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, her hut is located in the north-eastern corner of the Yoll Graveyard in the present. The hut is inaccessible without the Flippers. The Magic Potion Link obtains from Syrup can be used to cure the King Zora of his illness, saving his life and ultimately allowing him to enter Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the next-to-last dungeon of the game.
The Minish Cap
Syrup's latest appearance is in The Minish Cap, selling Blue Potions in her hut in the Minish Woods. She will also sell Red Potions once Link has fused kinstones with the Minish living in the south-west corner of South Hyrule Field. It is also necessary for Link to buy a Wake-up Mushroom from her in order to wake up Rem, the shoe salesman of Hyrule Castle Town. Rem will then make Link the Pegasus Boots, allowing him to cross the Castor Wilds.
|Syrup (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|A wizard who lives in the Minish Woods. She sells magic items with odd powers. She's looking for an apprentice to whom she can teach her mystic spells.|
- One of Syrup's quotes is taken from the William Shakespeare play Macbeth. In the play, the line is used by the Three Witches to conjure the prophecy of Macbeth's eventual defeat at the hands of Macduff.
- The Witch from A Link Between Worlds bears many similarities to Syrup, as she is also a teacher of a young witch and also lives in a Witch's House.
Syrup's name, along with that of her apprentice Maple, contribute to a pun, as they can be put together to make "Maple Syrup".
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Syrup||Same as English.|
|German||Syrup||Same as English.|
|Italian||Syrup||Same as English.|
- The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc.), pg. 10
- "Ow! Ow! Ow!!! Watch where you're goin'! You just hit Maple, the Great Witch Syrup's apprentice! Thanks to you, all the stuff fell out of my bag! The Great Witch will be mad! I can't find any Lon Lon Eggs, and now this... I'll just take the stuff you dropped, too! Finders keepers!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ow! Ow! Ow!!! Watch where you're goin'! You just hit Maple, the Great Witch Syrup's apprentice! Thanks to you, all the stuff fell out of my bag! The Great Witch will be mad! And I have to get that picture book. Who could have that book? Well, it's all made me mad! So I'm gonna take your stuff, too!" — Maple (Oracle of Ages)
- "A wizard who lives in the Minish Woods. She sells magic items with odd powers. She's looking for an apprentice to whom she can teach her mystic spells." — Syrup Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 228,(ALttP) 233,(LA) 250,(OoS) 254 (OoA) & 270 (TMC)
- "Maple is an apprentice witch to her Grandmother." (Oracle of Ages manual, pg. 8)
- "Take this [Magic Oar]. It's the first one I made. Syrup never gave me any compliments on it." — Maple (Oracle of Ages)
- "Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble... Making mushroom brew, I am..." — Syrup (A Link to the Past)
- "Mmmmm... The smell of rotten fruit... If you give me that Mushroom, I can finish my brew." — Syrup (A Link to the Past)
- "Ahhh... It has the Sleepy Toadstool, it does! We'll mix it up something in a jiffy, we will!" — Witch (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Good job! Use it on your enemies and see what happens. If you run out, go to the forest, pick some mushrooms, and I will make you more." — Witch (Link's Awakening DX)
- "If Maple were here, I'd send her to Mt. Cucco for Mushrooms, but since she hasn't come back, I can't make my Magic Potion!" — Syrup (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ee, hee, hee! I can finally make my Magic Potion. Guess I'll open the shop soon." — Syrup (Oracle of Seasons)
- "We believe we need a special medicine called a Magic Potion to cure King Zora's illness." — Zora (Oracle of Ages)
- "Ah, yes! A fine choice, my dear! That's a limited-time article! One whiff, and you're wide-awake! That is why it's called a wake-up-mushroom! Would you like to buy it for 60 rupees?" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)