A Link to the Past
Syrup appears for the first time in A Link to the Past, just outside her Magic Shop near Zora's River, where she sells her Red, Green, and Blue Potions. Maple serves as the shopkeeper for the potion shop, but only in the Game Boy Advance version of the game (a Hooded Shopkeeper is found in her place in the original version). Syrup herself will be stirring her "mushroom brew". Link can give her the Magic Mushroom he found in the Lost Woods to help her complete her brew, the final product being Magic Powder. When Link returns to the Magic Shop, he can pick up the Magic Powder held by the apprentice.
In Link's Awakening, Syrup lives inside her Hut on the Koholint Prairie. She will make Link some Magic Powder once he gives her the Sleepy Toadstool he found in the Mysterious Woods. She will also teach Link how to use the Powder. Syrup will replenish Link's supply Magic Powder whenever needed, so long as he provides more Toadstools.
Oracle of Seasons
Syrup resides in the Sunken City in Oracle of Seasons. To reach her hut, it must be winter in the city, as the Snow creates a slope leading to the otherwise inaccessible rise on which the hut is built. At first, Syrup will not have anything on sale in her shop, as she does not have the ingredients to make her Magic Potion. However, as part of the Trading Quest, Link must trade her the Mushroom he obtained from Talon atop Mount Cucco in exchange for her Wooden Bird. With the mushroom, Syrup is able to make her Magic Potion, allowing her to open her shop.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, her hut is located in the north-eastern corner of the Yoll Graveyard in the present. The hut is inaccessible without the Flippers. The Magic Potion Link obtains from Syrup can be used to cure the King Zora of his illness, saving his life and ultimately allowing him to enter Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the next-to-last dungeon of the game.
The Minish Cap
|Syrup (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
|A wizard who lives in the Minish Woods.|
She sells magic items with odd powers.
She's looking for an apprentice to whom
she can teach her mystic spells.
Syrup resides in her Hut in the Minish Woods in The Minish Cap, selling Blue Potions for 60 Rupees. If Link Fuses Kinstone Pieces with the Forest Picori living in the southwest corner of South Hyrule Field, Syrup will finish making her Red Potion, and it becomes available to purchase for 150 Rupees.
In order to obtain the Pegasus Boots from Rem, Link must buy a Wake-Up Mushroom from Syrup to wake him up. After being awakened by the Mushroom, Rem will put the finishing touches on the Pegasus Boots, allowing Link to cross Castor Wilds.
- One of Syrup's quotes is taken from the William Shakespeare play Macbeth. In the play, the line is used by the Three Witches to conjure the prophecy of Macbeth's eventual defeat at the hands of Macduff.
- The Witch from A Link Between Worlds bears many similarities to Syrup, as she is also a teacher of a young witch and also lives in a Witch's House.
Syrup's name, along with that of her apprentice Maple, contribute to a pun, as they can be put together to make "Maple Syrup".
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||魔法の粉をつくるおばあさん (Mahō no Kona o Tsukuru Obāsan) (LA)||Magic Powder-making Old Woman|
|FrenchEU||Syrup (ALttP | LA)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "Care for some of Granny's homemade blue potion? One sip, and you're full of energy!" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "Ow! Ow! Ow!!! Watch where you're goin'! You just hit Maple, the Great Witch Syrup's apprentice! Thanks to you, all the stuff fell out of my bag! The Great Witch will be mad! I can't find any Lon Lon Eggs, and now this... I'll just take the stuff you dropped, too! Finders keepers!" — Maple (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ow! Ow! Ow!!! Watch where you're goin'! You just hit Maple, the Great Witch Syrup's apprentice! Thanks to you, all the stuff fell out of my bag! The Great Witch will be mad! And I have to get that picture book. Who could have that book? Well, it's all made me mad! So I'm gonna take your stuff, too!" — Maple (Oracle of Ages)
- "So I hear that mushroom lady finished her new potion. It's bright red." — Forest Picori (The Minish Cap)
- The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America Inc.) pg. 10
- "A wizard who lives in the Minish Woods. She sells magic items with odd powers. She's looking for an apprentice to whom she can teach her mystic spells." — Figurine (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 228,(ALttP) 233,(LA) 250,(OoS) 254 (OoA) & 270 (TMC)
- "Double, double toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble... Making mushroom brew, I am..." — Syrup (A Link to the Past)
- "Mmmmm... The smell of rotten fruit... If you give me that Mushroom, I can finish my brew." — Syrup (A Link to the Past)
- "Ahhh... It has the Sleepy Toadstool, it does! We'll mix it up something in a jiffy, we will!" — Syrup (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Good job! Use it on your enemies and see what happens. If you run out, go to the forest, pick some mushrooms, and I will make you more." — Syrup (Link's Awakening DX)
- "If Maple were here, I'd send her to Mt. Cucco for Mushrooms, but since she hasn't come back, I can't make my Magic Potion!" — Syrup (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Ee, hee, hee! I can finally make my Magic Potion. Guess I'll open the shop soon." — Syrup (Oracle of Seasons)
- "We believe we need a special medicine called a Magic Potion to cure King Zora's illness." — Zora (Oracle of Ages)
- "Ever heard of Granny's homemade blue potion? One sip, and you're full of energy! Fill a bottle and carry it around with you! After all, it's only 60 Rupees!" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "My special red potion is almost finished! Oh, and it's so very special! Heeheehee!" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "Once you've tried my new red potion, you'll never go back to the blue stuff! Shall I fill your bottle for 150 Rupees?" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- "Ah, yes! A fine choice, my dear! That's a limited-time article! One whiff, and you're wide-awake! That is why it's called a wake-up-mushroom! Would you like to buy it for 60 Rupees?" — Syrup (The Minish Cap)
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 228
- Encyclopedia (Les Éditions Soleil) pg. 233