|Main Prize||Iron Boots, access to the Goron Mines|
Location and Rules
Link is taught the art of Sumo by Mayor Bo, who explains the basics of Sumo Wrestlin'. From within an arena, each wrestler is expected to push the opponent outside of it. Wrestlers can strike their opponent, grab them directly to push them, or sidestep to avoid being struck. After being appraised of the basics of Sumo, Mayor Bo challenges Link to a match in order for the young hero to obtain the secret to defeating the Gorons, who refuse to let outsiders onto Death Mountain. If Link can defeat Mayor Bo twice, he will concede that the hero has grown stronger and offer him the key to besting the Gorons, the Iron Boots. Mayor Bo reveals that he used the Iron Boots to win against his opponents, and that he's kept it secret ever since.
The basics of Sumo Wrestlin' are effectively identical to dealing with charging Goats, as Link must steady himself, grab the Goat by the horns and knock it over. The same principle is applied when Link must ascend Death Mountain, as Gorons will charge towards the hero and attempt to knock him off the mountain. With the Iron Boots, Link is able to stop the rolling Gorons, and throw them aside.
When Link reaches the top of Death Mountain, he is confronted by several Gorons, who threaten to ram into him, but are stopped by Gor Coron, who compliments the young hero's achievements. He informs Link that outsiders are not allowed into the Goron Mines unless they can win in a challenge of Sumo. If Link manages to defeat Gor Coron, the elderly Goron will acknowledge his strength and grant him passage into the Goron Mines on the condition that the young hero must help calm their enraged patriarch, Darbus. The basic wrestling techniques are revisited once more inside the Goron Mines, when Link faces Dangoro on top of a suspended ring above a pit of magma. In order to defeat Dangoro, Link must grab hold of him and knock him into the magma.
- "Link, you've heard of sumo wrestlin', right? Gorons like to match strength in sumo contests" — Bo (Twilight Princess HD)
- "You've gotta defeat the Gorons, right? Well, you're not going to do it without this little secret of mine!" — Mayor Bo (Twilight Princess)
- "Rather than explain a lot, why don't we just get to it? Come into the ring, lad." — Mayor Bo (Twilight Princess)
- "Whoa ho! Not too shabby, lad! With your natural talent, I'm sure you can take on the Gorons..." — Mayor Bo (Twilight Princess)
- "You've gotten a sight stronger in the short time you've been gone, Link... Strong as you are, though, you can't hope to beat the Gorons wrestlin' with power alone. Those Gorons are made of rock! Naw, the secret to beatin' the Gorons...is locked away in that chest. Take it with you, lad." — Mayor Bo (Twilight Princess)
- "You can probably tell, those boots are made of iron, lad. Whoever wears 'em won't easily be pushed around...even by a Goron. If you're fixin' to fight a Goron, be sure to wear those boots. ...Let's be square, though, lad: you can't ever tell ANYONE about those boots! 'Specially Renado!" — Mayor Bo (Twilight Princess)
- "Link, you've heard of sumo wrestlin', right? Gorons like to match strength in sumo contests. Luckily for you, the basics of sumo are the same as stoppin' chargin' goats... You wanna hear more?" — Mayor Bo (Twilight Princess)
- "ENOUGH! Is this young one such an imposing enemy that you must all gang up on him? I think not, Little Brothers. I am a Goron elder, little human. I am called Gor Coron. Because of certain...circumstances, I must lead the Goron tribe in place of Darbus, our tribal patriarch. Tell me, little human, do you come from the village below? You have done well to come this far. You are strong...for a human." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "However... The mines beyond here are sacred to my tribe. Outsiders are not allowed. Unless... I could make an exception...but you would have to beat me in a contest of power. Are you willing to try that, little human?" — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)
- "Young warrior... You have a strong will...and sharp eyes. Fine traits... Want to see how well you can use them? You have seen it, I would bet... The mountain, erupting without pause... When the mountain began to rage, all four of us elders and Darbus, our patriarch, went inside to investigate its anger. We have a treasure that was entrusted to us by the spirits, and we must protect it. Do you understand? But the moment Darbus reached out and touched the treasure...everything went wrong. He collapsed...and before our very eyes transformed into an unspeakable monster! He began to rage through the mines, trailing ruin behind him...and the eruptions grew more frequent and more severe. We used all of our strength to seal him deep inside the mountain... It...grieved us to do this to our patriarch...but we had no other course of action. I ask this favor of you, young warrior... Go to the aid of Darbus! Make no mistake, the spirits have guided you here. I, Gor Coron, need your help... On behalf of my entire clan, I ask you for your aid! ...You two! Let the young warrior pass." — Gor Coron (Twilight Princess)