Story Mode — Octavo
|Story Mode — Octavo|
|Game(s)||Cadence of Hyrule|
Story Mode — Octavo is an additional story Mode wherein Octavo is the playable character. It details an alternate future of Octavo's journey after stealing the Thread of Courage from a Fate. In this version of events, many of Octavo's machinations have already been carried out, such as his meddling with the Kakariko Crypt and the Frozen Grotto.[note 1] He is accompanied by Trill, who is simultaneously watching his actions and searching for someone who can stop him, indicating that the Fairy has not yet met Cadence. As in the primary story, Octavo put both Link and Zelda to sleep. They can be found in Link's House and Kakariko Village respectively, though neither can be awoken.
Using the Thread of Courage, Octavo transforms his Lute into a Golden Lute. He then travels to four dungeons in search of a Champion who can defeat Ganon. Upon turning each Instrument into a beast with the power of his Golden Lute, they turn monstrous and attack him, forcing him to defeat them. With nobody to stop Octavo, he collects all four Instruments and returns to Hyrule Castle and prepares to travel to the future to battle Ganon himself.
However once Octavo arrives in the Future World, he finds his future self, now known as The NecroDancer. The NecroDancer explains that he defeated Ganondorf before he could rise to power and proceeded to conquer Hyrule for his own gain. Octavo rejects his future self's plan to rule Hyrule and initiates battle with him. After defeating his future self, Octavo uses the power of their two Golden Lutes to return himself to a point before he acted to change the fate of Hyrule. He then affirms to leave his own fate in the hands of wiser people.
- Octavo is the only playable character in this mode, as Cadence is not present to awaken either Link or Zelda. Yves can be recruited by bringing Tingle a total of 20 Deku Seeds, but he cannot be selected through any Sheikah Stone.
- Three portions of Octavo's dialogue with The NecroDancer were present in the files of the v1.0.0 build of the game, though they could not be accessed by normal means.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ストーリーモード - オクターヴォ (Sutōrī Mōdo - Okutāvo)|
|ChineseSI||故事模式：奧克塔波 (Gùshì Móshì: Àokètǎbō)|
|ChineseTR||故事模式：奥克塔波 (Gùshì Móshì: Àokètǎbō)|
|FrenchCA||Mode histoire - Octavo|
|FrenchEU||Mode histoire - Octavo|
|German||Handlungsmodus - Octavo|
|Italian||Modalità storia (Oktavo)|
|Korean||스토리 모드 - 옥타보 (Seutoli Modeu - Ogtabo)|
|SpanishEU||Modo historia (Octavio)|
|SpanishLA||Modo historia (Octavio)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please contact a staff member with a reference.
- Despite knowing of Octavo and his deeds surrounding Lake Hylia, the Zora and their Prince do not seem to recognize Octavo himself. Prior to Octavo finding the Oboe within, they direct him to the Frozen Grotto, claiming that is where he is located. Given that other characters such as Barriara recognize Octavo, this is likely an oversight.
- "Story Mode — Octavo" — Select Mode (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "I saw a strange man with a lute doing something suspicious over near the crypt. Wait... It was you, wasn't it!? I'm watching you!" — N/A (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Have you tried swimming in the lake yet? Some musician made the grotto too chill for my liking." — Zora (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Some wizard guy came by and messed everything up. He's in the Frozen Grotto under the lake if you want to help. No pressure though." — Prince (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "It's you! You're the one who put me to sleep! Prepare for a pounding! ... ... ... But wait... Why did you wake me up? Perhaps you're not as evil as you seem. If I give you this item, will you promise to help take care of the mischief in the ruins?" — Barriara (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Hey, you're the guy who put my friends to sleep! I saw how you attack using that Golden Lute. Whenever you move into a square adjacent to an enemy, that enemy will take damage. You can also use the lute to attack enemies directly in front of you. Now that I've seen your attacks, I just need to find someone who can stop you!" — Trill (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Finally, I'm free of that wretched crone's babbling! Now then, I'll need to find a champion capable of defeating Ganon. This Golden Lute should allow me to defend myself as I search." — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "A musical instrument! I sense power emanating from it. Interesting... With the magic in my lute, perhaps I can create a powerful beast with this! A champion to defeat Ganon for me!" — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "With the Threads of Fate and the Golden Lute, my power has grown! Nothing in Hyrule remains to challenge me. I can feel it... I have come powerful enough to defeat Ganon on my own! I must hurry to the future." — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "What? You're not Ganon! Who are you?" — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Oh, how quaint. It's my past self! Don't worry, dear Octavo. Your troubles are over. I've silenced the fortune-tellers, broken the bonds of fate, and defeated Ganondorf before he could take power! And now I will rule over Hyrule at last!" — The NecroDancer (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Rule over Hyrule? That was never what I wanted! I just wanted to prepare for the inevitable... You've become a monster, like the one I wanted to stop! I'll put an end to you!" — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "Now it is time to atone for what I have done." — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "(gasp)" — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
"Ah! I see that you're back. Are you still dying to know what fate has in store for you?" — Fate (Cadence of Hyrule)
"No! No. I will leave that for those who are much wiser than I." — Octavo (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "What? You're not Ganon! Who are you?" CoH, Nintendo Switch, Version 1.0.0 (United States of America)
- "Oh, how quaint. It's my past self! Don't worry, dear Octavo. Your troubles are over. I've silenced the fortune-tellers, broken the bonds of fate, and defeated Ganondorf before he could take power! And now I will rule over Hyrule at last!" CoH, Nintendo Switch, Version 1.0.0 (United States of America)
- "Rule over Hyrule? That was never what I wanted! I just wanted to prepare for the inevitable... You've become a monster, like the one I wanted to stop! I'll put an end to you!" CoH, Nintendo Switch, Version 1.0.0 (United States of America)
- Story Mode - Okutāvo