Cave of Ordeals
Stalhounds are skeletal dogs that emerge from the ground in various locations of Hyrule Field at night. These creatures can be defeated with any conventional attacking weapon in Link's arsenal. However, it is easiest for Link to simply slash them with his Sword. They will generally appear in pairs.
When Link must retrieve Ilia's memory, the Wooden Statue is stolen from Borville. Link can use his wolf form to track down its scent to find Telma's cat, Louise. She admits that she took the statue, but that it was stolen by Stalhounds out in the field south of the Hyrule Castle Town. It is here that Link must fight a horde of Stalhounds in order to rescue the stolen statue.
In the Cave of Ordeals, Stalhounds can be seen wandering around in some rooms, sometimes accompanied by other enemies. However, landing on the floor where the Stalhounds are wandering causes a much larger pack of them to emerge from the ground.
- Stalhounds may have been modeled after the extinct Entelodon genus of pig-like omnivores, in particular the large lower teeth and head.
|Names in Other Regions|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 207
- "Yes, I admit it...I took it. But then I was attacked by some sort of skeletal dog beasts who took it from me." — Louise (Twilight Princess)
- "Those fiends lurk just outside the southern gate... Unfortunately, they only come out at night." — Louise (Twilight Princess)
- "...And another thing... They always move around as a pack. You won't get that statue back unless you give them all a thrashing..." — Louise (Twilight Princess)
- "Those fiends travel in a pack at night! Be careful out there!" — Louise (Twilight Princess)
- "You're looking for the wooden statue that Ilia had, aren't you, dear? Think it's a coincidence that I happen to know it got stolen from the doctor's place? No..." — Louise (Twilight Princess)
- "Look, lad, if I'd been able to sell the wooden statue that young lady had, I would've been able to get the money... Well, it was stolen. Who goes around stealing people's stuff like that? What a world! You always have to be on guard, eh?" — Borville (Twilight Princess)