Stalfos Knights,(ALttP | CoH) also known as Skeleton Knights,(ALttP) are recurring enemies and Sub-Bosses in The Legend of Zelda series. They are a variety of exceptionally large, strong Stalfos armed with large blades.
A Link to the Past
Stalfos Knights are stationed in the Ice Palace, where they drop from the ceiling in certain rooms to attack. They then proceed to leap across the room to assault Link. Attacking a Stalfos Knight with a sword will simply cause it to collapse into a heap, only to reform shortly afterwards. They commonly appear in pairs. The Stalfos Knights in A Link to the Past are the largest non-boss enemy in the game: they are about four times the size of a regular Stalfos and tower over Link.
A Link to the Past Manual Comment
The only way to destroy a Stalfos Knight is to attack with a certain weapon when they have crumpled in a heap, Bombs. A single Bomb once the knight is stunned is enough to destroy it for good. If Link does not have Bombs, it is actually possible to destroy a Stalfos Knight with repeated hits from a Boomerang or Sword, but it takes many many strikes to deliver the final blow. Stalfos Knights often drop bombs for Link to collect when they are destroyed.
Cadence of Hyrule
- The regular Stalfos of The Adventure of Link share the same Japanese name as the Stalfos Knights of A Link to the Past, "Stalfon."
- Master Stalfos from Link's Awakening is a particularly dangerous Stalfos Knight boss that is defeated in the same manner as those in A Link to the Past.
- Early screenshots of Ocarina of Time show Stalfos with a very similar design to the Stalfos Knights of A Link to the Past.
- The behavior of Stalfos Knights and Master Stalfos went on to influence the behavior of normal Stalfos in Ocarina of Time, The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess, such as using Bombs on their bones to destroy them.
- Due to the 2D programming limitations in A Link to the Past, Link can still get hit from the Stalfos Knights when they are in the air because they are able to interact with Link no matter what elevation they are in.
|Names in Other Regions|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 207 (ALttP)
- "Defeated By: Stalfos Knight" — Game Over (Cadence of Hyrule)
- "You cannot destroy the Skeleton Knight with the sword alone. When he collapses, he is vulnerable to another weapon." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- Nintendo Official Guidebook—The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Shogakukan) pg. 28