Squiddy from Tri Force Heroes
|Habitat(s)||World of the Ocean King|
|Effective Weapons||Cannon (PH | ST)|
Squiddies are a recurring jellyfish-like creatures in The Legend of Zelda series. They are notable as being harmless creatures that drop Rupees and sometimes Hearts for every hit they take, up to a certain amount.
In Phantom Hourglass, Squiddies occasionally pop out of the sea while sailing. If they are hit with the Cannon aboard the S.S. Linebeck, they will shoot up a little into the air and dispense a single Rupee. If left alone, they will slowly fall back into the sea. If one is hit enough, it will eventually split into two, and if those two are hit enough, they will split into three. "Juggling" three of these monsters with the Cannon is arguably one of the fastest ways to earn Rupees in Phantom Hourglass, but the initial Squiddy can be extremely hard to find. However no matter how many times the three are struck, they will not become four. The three will not disperse unless Link allows one to drop into the sea. Even if some Squiddies have been lost, hitting the remaining one enough times will cause it to split again.
Tri Force Heroes
In Tri Force Heroes, Squiddies are also known as Jellyriches. They instead appear on or close to dry land hovering close to the ground. Physically, they resemble as blue jellyfish adorned with Rupee-like patterns. They can usually be found close to or near a Triforce Gateway, although this is not always the case. At least one Squiddy can be found in every Level. Like the Squiddies of Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, they can be attacked to dispense Rupees and "juggled" by hitting them with the Sword. Initially they will only drop green Rupees, but if hit enough times, they will drop blue Rupees and eventually red Rupees. If hit enough times in a row, Squiddies will eventually burst into showers of Hearts and Rupees. The Squiddies, however, will also bounce more quickly the more they are hit, and if allowed to touch the ground without being struck quickly enough, they will disappear. If the Links are low on health, Squiddies will only drop Hearts until their health is fully replenished, afterwards dropping Rupees as normal.
Squiddies typically disappear when hit with items, as well as a Sword Beam from a Sword Suit or Sword Master Suit. However, when hit with a fireball from the Fire Gloves, Squiddies will bounce as though they were hit with a Sword.
- Whenever Link hits a Squiddy with the Cannon, it will make a sharp jingle-like noise and a sound similar to that of hitting a Gossip Stone.
- It is possible for a Squiddy to deal damage to Link, through a glitch in Tri Force Heroes where a Squiddy is given the properties of an enemy for a brief moment when it spawns.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ベルクラゲ (Beru Kurage)
ゼニクラゲ (Zenikurage) (TFH)
|SpanishEU||Medusa Campana (TFH)||Bell Jellyfish|
|SpanishLA||Medusa Campana (TFH)||Bell Jellyfish|
- "Squiddy is harmless. Hitting Squiddy will force it to drop Rupees and Hearts." (Tri Force Heroes Official Game Guide (Prima Games), pg. 19)
- "One day a member of the level production team created the Jellyrich." —Mikiharu Oiwa (Tri Force Heroes Miiting part 2)
- Weird spawning Squiddy properties, YouTube, published April 26, 2017, retrieved January 29, 2018.