left to right: Kokiri's Emerald, Goron's Ruby, and Zora's Sapphire
Opening the Door of Time
Uses and Location
The Spiritual Stones are required to open the Door of Time, which has sealed away the Master Sword in the Temple of Time. When Link travels to Hyrule and meets Princess Zelda for the first time, she reveals that she had a dream that someone from the Forest in possession of the Kokiri's Emerald would come to meet her. She also reveals that the races who protect these stones will only open their minds to those who know the melody of the Royal Family.
During his quest to unlock the Sacred Realm and steal the Triforce, Ganondorf was denied the Spiritual Stones by each of their respective guardians. In response, he cursed them all. In order to obtain the Spiritual Stones, Link is required to free the guardians from Ganondorf's malevolence. Once all the Spiritual Stones are collected, Link must place them in the pedestal facing the Door of Time. He must then play the "Song of Time" in order to open the door leading to the Master Sword.
- Main article: Kokiri's Emerald
The Kokiri's Emerald, the Spiritual Stone of the Forest, is protected by the Great Deku Tree. In order to obtain it, Link must destroy the parasite that had infested him.
- Main article: Goron's Ruby
The Goron's Ruby, the Spiritual Stone of Fire, is a treasure hidden by the Goron race. After Link defeats the evil creatures inside Dodongo's Cavern, the Gorons' source of food, he is given the stone by Darunia, the patriarch of the Gorons.
- Main article: Zora's Sapphire
The Zora's Sapphire, the Spiritual Stone of Water, is obtained by saving Ruto from Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly, the princess falls in love with the hero and gives him the Zora's Sapphire as a symbol of their "engagement."
- During development of Ocarina of Time, the Spiritual Stones would be inserted inside the Ocarina of Time in order to enter the Temple of Time.
- The Kokiri's Emerald was called "Kokiri's Jade" in early screenshots of the game, which is a direct translation from its Japanese name.
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchEU||Pierre Ancestrale (OoT)||Ancestral Stone|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 126
- "That's right... The Temple of Time is the entrance through which you can enter the Sacred Realm from our world. But the entrance is sealed with a stone wall called the Door of Time. And, in order to open the door, it is said that you need to collect three Spiritual Stones." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "...You wouldn't happen to have... the Spiritual Stone of the Forest, would you?! That green and shining stone..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The light turned into a figure holding a green and shining stone, followed by a fairy... I know this is a prophecy that someone would come from the forest... Yes, I thought you might be the one..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Spiritual Stone... You finally found it! It is said that the races that hold the Spiritual Stones open their minds only to one who knows the melody of the Royal Family. But you already know that, don't you?" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "All this trouble must have been caused by that Gerudo thief, Ganondorf! He said, "Give me the Spiritual Stone! Only then will I open the cave for you!"" — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Just as the subtitle of the game suggests, this is important for going to the "Tower of Time." If you go inside, Ocarina must have the three soul stones inserted." —Shigeru Miyamoto (The Z-Files)
- "Vous recevez l'Emeraude Kokiri! Cette Pierre Ancestrale de la forêt vous est confiée par le vénérable Arbre Mojo." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)