Restoring the Spirit Tracks
The Spirit Flute, also known as the Spirit Pipes, is an item resembling a Pan Flute found in Spirit Tracks, and the instrument Link uses in the game to play music. It is one of the sacred instruments of the Lokomos, which originally belonged to Anjean before she entrusted it to Tetra.
History and Location
It is stated by Anjean she entrusted the Spirit Flute to Tetra long ago when the feisty pirate captain first arrived on the shores of the land. Tetra promised that she and her descendants would use the Spirit Flute to protect the land, as she was the heir to the ancient royal line of Hyrule that would come to rule over the land. For many years, Tetra and Anjean carried on a close friendship, and Tetra would often play the Spirit Flute for her granddaughter, the reigning Princess Zelda at the time of Spirit Tracks, when she felt troubled or worried. Upon meeting the reigning Princess Zelda, Anjean notes the many similarities between the princess and her grandmother, as well as instructing she and Link to keep the Spirit Flute with them as it will aid them in restoring the Spirit Tracks.
Playing the Spirit Flute
To play the Spirit Flute, the touch screen of the Nintendo DS must be tapped to slide the instrument over so that the desired note is in the middle of the screen. Afterward, air must be blown into the microphone to play the note.
The Spirit Flute consists of six pipes in the Dorian B scale, omitting the second pitch (C): B, D, E, F#, G#, A.
Link can learn a total of five songs, all of which are taught by Air Stones scattered throughout the various villages and sanctuaries in Hyrule. All of the following songs are recorded in Link's inventory, with the exception of the Lokomo Songs, which only function when the young hero is playing along with another Lokomo.
- Song of Awakening - awakens Gossip Stones.
- Song of Healing - calls a fairy to heal Link once per dungeon (resets when Link leaves and reenters).
- Song of Discovery - reveals hidden treasure in the ground.
- Song of Light - reveals hidden diamond-shaped objects that shine beams of light when uncovered.
- Song of Birds - calls nearby birds to Link.
- Lokomo Songs - special duets used to energize the Spirit Tracks leading from the sanctuaries to the temples.
Throughout Link's quest, he will find members of the Lokomo tribe who will teach him a special melody known as a Lokomo Duet that he can play on the Spirit Flute. Playing the song along with the Lokomo member and his sacred instrument energizes the Rail Map, which in turn restores portions of the Spirit Tracks leading from the sanctuaries to the temples.
- In the European version of Spirit Tracks, the Song of Healing is mistakenly called the Song of Recovery once played.
- Of the five songs that can be learned, only three are needed to clear the game. These are the Song of Discovery, Song of Light and Song of Birds.
- Each color of the Spirit Flute corresponds to a Lokomo: Green, White, Blue, Red and Yellow for the Lokomos in each realm, and Purple for Anjean. These colors also correspond to the realms in order - Green (Forest), White (Snow), Blue (Ocean), Red (Fire), Yellow (Sand), and Purple (Dark). Another correspondence is to the sacred maidens in Four Swords Adventures.
- When Link plays the Spirit Flute while near Phantom Zelda (any random notes will work), she will say: "That's a nice song." During the battle against Byrne, if any song is played, he will pause briefly, close his eyes, and say, "That sound...".
- The 6 notes are B D E F# G# and A
|Names in Other Regions|
|FrenchCA||Flûte de la Terre||Earth Flute|
|FrenchEU||Flûte de la Terre||Earth Flute|
|German||Flöte des Landes|
|Italian||Flauto delle Terre|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
The Spirit Flute icon on the Menu
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 139
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, Nintendo UK site.
- "Yes, and the Spirit Flute you hold is one of [the sacred instruments]. [...] Yes! And it was I who gave it to your ancestors! But only under the condition that they protect the land for all time. Of course, back then, I didn't think things would take such a perilous turn. I'm glad that after all these years it has found its way into your hands." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Feisty AND bright, just like she was! The fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, does it? Yes, I knew one of your ancestors. I met her when she had just arrived here. She and I were friends for a very long time." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "My grandmother used to play it for me when I was a little girl. If I was sad or upset, the sound of this flute would make me feel better. But even so, I suppose its rightful place is with you, Anjean." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "No, you two will have need of it. Please take it with you! For now... You must go find the other Lokomos and restore the energy of the rail maps. Once you do, the Spirit Tracks will reappear." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "Indeed. We are called the Lokomos. We are servants of the spirits. They have entrusted us with protecting the temples and the Spirit Tracks. By playing our sacred instruments... We generate energy that powers the Spirit Tracks." — Anjean (Spirit Tracks)
- "To restore the tracks that disappeared, you need to know a special song. This Lokomo Song is a duet that requires two sacred instruments. My cello and your Spirit Flute should do the trick! With both instruments playing the song... We can restore the rail map's energy!" — Gage (Spirit Tracks)
- "That's a nice song." — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "Spirit Pipes" — Collection (Spirit Tracks)
- "Flûte de la Terre" — Collection (Spirit Tracks)
- "Vous obtenez la flûte de la Terre!" — N/A (Spirit Tracks)
- "Flöte des Landes" — Collection (Spirit Tracks)
- "Flauto delle Terre" — Collection (Spirit Tracks)
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks | Nintendo DS | Jogos | Nintendo, www.nintendo.pt, retrieved September 9, 2020.
- The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks | Nintendo DS | Игры | Nintendo, www.nintendo.ru, retrieved September 9, 2020.
- "Flauta terrenal" — Collection (Spirit Tracks)
- "Flauta terrenal" — Collection (Spirit Tracks)