In the next few weeks, your wiki will be migrated to a Fandom.com domain. Learn more here.
Features and Overview
The Legend of Zelda
In The Legend of Zelda, Spectacle Rock is found in northern Hyrule in the central western portion of Death Mountain. It is the location of Ganon's lair in the First Quest. In order to enter, Link must use a Bomb in the southern side of the base of its left peak to reveal the entrance.
The Adventure of Link
In The Adventure of Link, Spectacle Rock is found in Death Mountain in the southwestern region of Hyrule and both of its peaks contain and are represented by caves on the map. Its eastern peak contains a cave where the Hammer is obtained after Link works his way east through its bottom level. Its western peak contains a cave that is initially covered by a rock that Link can destroy after acquiring the Hammer. Unlike the eastern peak's cave that is entered laterally, the western cave is underground where the opening is on top of the peak. A Magic Container can be found inside the cave.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, Spectacle Rock is located on top of Death Mountain in the Light World. Being Death Mountain's highest point, it is an obstacle blocking the path to its north that leads to the Tower of Hera. The center of the adjoining bridge between its peaks contains a cave that leads to lower elevations on Death Mountain. Its counterpart in the Dark World is buried under volcanic sediment, as its outline is visible. To get to the path north of Spectacle Rock in the Light World, Link must first travel to the Dark World and stand within the outline of its counterpart. Using the Magic Mirror within this area sends Link on top of Spectacle Rock in the Light World where he can find a Piece of Heart on its eastern peak. He can then leap down to the path north of it leading to the Tower of Hera.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, unnamed formations resembling Spectacle Rock appear on Death Mountain in both Hyrule and Lorule. When Link reaches the base of Hyrule's Death Mountain, a volcano shaped like Spectacle Rock is shown to begin erupting, causing Magma Bombs to rain down around Link as he ascends the Mountain. In Lorule, the outline of Spectacle Rock can be seen near the top of Death Mountain, where enemies such as Red Tektites and Snowball Zirros await Link.
Breath of the Wild
In Breath of the Wild, Spectacle Rock is based on the same location from The Legend of Zelda. It appears as two large circular mesas in the east portion of the Gerudo Highlands. The Wasteland Tower can be found in a deep, swampy pit atop the northernmost mesa. After Link has freed the Divine Beast Vah Naboris, it will climb onto the southernmost mesa and aim its sights at Hyrule Castle in preparation for the battle with Calamity Ganon. There are two Koroks south of the Tower, a Korok under the bridge between the mesas, and a Korok on a big rocky pillar to the east.
Spectacle Rock's name comes from the fact that the twin peaks formation resembles a pair of eyeglasses.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||めがね岩 (Megane Iwa) (BotW)||Spectacle Rock|
|FrenchEU||Roc de la Longue-vue (BotW)|
|Italian||Colli Occhiali (BotW)|
|SpanishEU||Roca de la lupa (BotW)|
|This table was generated using translation pages.|
To request an addition, please a staff member with a reference.
- "SPECTACLE ROCK IS AN ENTRANCE TO DEATH." — Old Man (The Legend of Zelda)
- "Spectacle Rock" — Map (Breath of the Wild)
- "HAMMER...SPECTACLE ROCK...DEATH MTN." — Old Woman (The Adventure of Link)
- "ONLY THE HAMMER CAN DESTROY A ROADBLOCK." — Hylian (The Adventure of Link)
- "Link, it is I, Sahasrahla. You must somehow make your way to the top of Spectacle Rock. From there you can reach the Tower of Hera on top of Death Mountain." — Sahasrahla (A Link to the Past)
- "It was because of this similarity that this formation was known to some as Spectacle Rock, and you can find this same location in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild too!" — Nintendo, Hyrule: Then and Now, Nintendo UK website, published October 27, 2016, retrieved October 27, 2016.
- "Spectacle Rock (so named because it kind of looks like a pair of eyeglasses) is a lot bigger in the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game—and it’s located in a totally different part of Hyrule: the Gerudo Region." — Some things never change..., Play Nintendo, retrieved May 9, 2017.