The Spear as seen in the book
Princess Zelda and Link find the spear stuck in the middle of the trunk. The young hero says he will cut the spear off, but Zelda stops him and asks if there isn't any other way, remembering the promise that she made to Greenbeard in which no one would hurt the woods as long as she lived. Just then, Link hears a band of Moblins heading their way. If Link decides to cut off the spear, Link will pick it up only to see that it is beginning to fade and turn into mist. The tree that had the spear stuck then starts to wither and die with its massive limbs falling onto the ground. As such, the heroes are now stuck between the advancing hordes of Moblin and the falling tree. The book ends with a Game Over as Zelda wishes she had kept her promise to Greenbeard and not let have Link cut the tree.
If, however, Link does not cut off the spear, Zelda will mention she knows how to get the spear and steps back from the giant tree, lifting her arms. She calls upon Greenbeard and asks him to give them his spear to stop the gang of Moblin. The Moblin fall silent and stop in their path after a soft wind blows through the clearing, and just then the spear falls into Link's hand. As the Moblins run away, Ganon reveals himself near the cowering Moblin and steps forward. Link, getting ready to throw the spear, causes Ganon to stumble backward and asks how the heroes found the Spear. Ganon then begins to shoot fireballs at Link, who successfully dodges them. Zelda urges the young hero to use the sacred weapon, but he mentions he cannot get a clear shot. Using her bow, the princess fires an arrow at Ganon, which causes for his robe to get pinned to the tree trunk. Link takes this opportunity to hurl the spear, which lands on Ganon's hand and nails the scroll to the tree trunk. Injured, the evil wizard warns the heroes that it isn't over yet and quickly vanishes. With Ganon defeated, the pair then look at the spear, which begins to sink into the bark of the tree along with the Magic Scroll, causing for both of them to disappear into nothingness.
- "'Look,' Link says suddenly. 'Right in the middle of the trunk there's a spear!' [...] 'That must be the weapon the fairy was talking about,' says Link. 'I'll just cut it off.' [...] 'No!' cries Zelda, recalling her promise to Greenbeard. 'Isn't there another way?' Link puts a hand to his hear. 'It sounds like a band of moblin is on the way. We need the spear right now!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 99)
- "Even as Link picks up the spear, it begins to fade and turns into mist. The spear disappears in his hand! 'The tree!' shouts Zelda. As they watch, the ancient tree begins to wither and die. One by one, the massive limbs begin to fall to the ground. Huge pieces of bark fly off and crash to earth. Link and Zelda are trapped between the advancing hordes of moblin and the falling tree. 'I should have kept my promise to Greenbeard and not let Link cut that tree,' says Zelda. 'Now we're doomed!'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 58)
- "'I know how to get it,' says Zelda. She steps back from the giant tree and lifts her arms. 'Greenbeard! Give us your spear to stop the axes of the moblin.'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 73)
- "A soft noise like the wind through leaves fills the clearing. The screaming moblin fall silent and stop where they are. With a soft snap, the spear falls into Link's hand. 'Hah!' he cries. He holds it overheard and the moblin fall back." (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 17)
- "Link gets ready to throw the spear. As he does, Ganon stumbles backward. 'The spear!' says the evil wizard in a tremblin voice. 'How did you find it?'" (The Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 17)
- "Link hurls the spear. Ganon throws a flaming fireball at it, but the magic weapon can't be stopped. It hits Ganon in the hand and nails the scroll to the tree trunk. [...] As they watch, the spear begins to sink into the bark of the tree, taking the scroll with it. In a few moments, both disappear." (Crystal Trap (Archway) pg. 119)