Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
SpaceWorld 2000 GameCube Tech Demo
The SpaceWorld 2000 Tech Demo showed Link and Ganondorf having a one-on-one sword fight in a dim castle hall. This video, along with others like Mario 128, was created to showcase the processing power and the graphics capabilities of the Nintendo GameCube. However, the demo was accused of generating false expectations, creating unwarranted criticism for the first GameCube Zelda game, The Wind Waker. The demo gave the impression that it represented what the upcoming GameCube Zelda game would look like. So, when The Wind Waker was revealed to use cel-shaded graphics, many fans were dissapointed. Near the end of the GameCube era, Twilight Princess was released, and its graphics were comparable to the tech demo's.
- Ganondorf's design in Super Smash Bros. Melee is based on his appearance in this demo, including his large sword which he only uses in taunts.
- In the fight, Link uses the Hero's Shield rather than the Hylian Shield.
|The Zelda tech demo|
- "There was a tech demo of a realistic adult Link fighting Ganondorf shown a year before at Spaceworld 2000. This tech demo was made to be a demonstration of the Nintendo Gamecube’s abilities, but was not in itself a complete concept for a game." — Celda: A Retrospective, Super Train Station H.
- "Nintendo took that amazing demo that we saw last year and butchered it into this animated C-quality Disney garbage." — Zelda Destroyed?, The Odyssey of Hyrule.
- Art & Artifacts (Dark Horse Books), pg. 416