Song of Time
|Song of Time|
Link playing the "Song of Time" in Majora's Mask 3D
The "Song of Time" is a recurring Song in The Legend of Zelda series.[name reference needed] It is implied that this sacred melody is only known by members of the Royal Family of Hyrule and is taught to a select few.
Ocarina of Time
The "Song of Time" is one of the requirements (the Spiritual Stones and the Ocarina of Time being the others) necessary to open the Door of Time so Link can access the Sacred Realm in Ocarina of Time. Once the other keys are gathered, the "Song of Time" must be played in the altar of the Temple of Time, thus opening the Door of Time and allowing access to the resting place of the Master Sword. Link learns the Song after he retrieves the Ocarina of Time, which Princess Zelda throws into the moat as she escapes Hyrule Castle. Upon getting the Ocarina of Time, Link has a vision of the Princess explaining her reasons for leaving and teaches him the "Song of Time" through this telepathic message. With the Ocarina of Time and the three Spiritual Stones in hand, Link can play the melody to open the Door of Time.
Prior to the events of Majora's Mask, Princess Zelda hands over the Ocarina of Time to Link as a memento of the times they spent together in Hyrule. According to Zelda, the "Song of Time" holds a special meaning to her, and as such, she teaches it to Link before handing over the Ocarina of Time. Princess Zelda reminds Link to play the sacred Song if anything happens to him, mentioning that the Goddess of Time will come to his aid.
By playing the "Song of Time", Link can warp back to the dawn of the First Day at any given time or place. Any spendable item, such as Bombs or Rupees, will be lost when playing the Song. However, Masks, weapons (except for the Razor Sword), Songs learned, and other non-event items are kept. If Link's sword is with the smithy, he will regain his Kokiri Sword. Playing the "Song of Time" is the only way to permanently save the game. In Majora's Mask 3D, it no longer saves the game.
Breath of the Wild
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||時の歌 (Toki no Uta)||Same as English.|
|FrenchCA||Chant du temps (MM3D)||Same as English.|
|FrenchEU||Chant du Temps||Same as English.|
|German||Hymne der Zeit||Anthem of Time|
|Italian||Canzone del tempo||Same as English.|
|SpanishEU||Canción del Tiempo||Same as English.|
|SpanishLA||Canción del tiempo (MM3D)||Same as English.|
- Encyclopedia (Dark Horse Books) pg. 96 (OoT | MM)
- "Ye who owns 3 Spiritual Stones / Stand with the Ocarina of Time / And play the Song of Time" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You found the Ocarina of Time! This is the Royal Family's hidden treasure which Zelda left behind. It glows with a mystical light..." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link...Can you hear me? It's me, Zelda... Link, when you hold this Ocarina in your hand... I won't be around anymore... I wanted to wait for you, but I couldn't delay any longer... At least I could leave you the Ocarina and this melody... This song opens the Door of Time... Now, Link. Play this melody in front of the altar in the Temple of Time. You must protect the Triforce!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "You are already leaving this land of Hyrule, aren't you? Even though it was only a short time, I feel like I've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent together in Hyrule... And I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again... Until that day comes, please... Take this..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "This reminds me of us..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- ""I am praying... I am praying that your journey be a safe one. If something should happen to you, remember this song..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- Rouli, Song of Time in Breath of the Wild, YouTube (Video), published June 20, 2016, retrieved June 26, 2016.