Soils are objects in The Legend of Zelda series. They are soft spots in the terrain that Link can use for a variety of tasks. They are most commonly used for planting seeds and beans, but can also contain treasures or secret passages.
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
Plots of soft soil are scattered around Hyrule and Termina. Link can plant Magic Beans in these plots and use them to reach otherwise inaccessible areas when they grow. Gold Skulltulas live in the soil, so Link can make the Skulltulas come out by releasing some Bugs. This can be done even after a Magic Bean is planted.
Oracle of Seasons
In Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, Link can plant a Gasha Seed in the soil. The seed will eventually sprout into a Gasha Tree and produce a Gasha Nut. According to Bipin, harder to find soils produce rarer Gasha Nut treasures. Link can detect hidden soil suitable for planting by equipping the Discovery Ring.
The Wind Waker
Two different types of soil can be found in The Wind Waker. The first is found scattered on Outset Island and is black in color. If Link throws All-Purpose Bait on it while a Pig is near, the Pig will start digging in the soil, revealing Rupees and a Piece of Heart. The second type of soil appears as brown mounds in the Wind Temple. Makar can plant seeds in them which instantly grow into small trees. Link can Hookshot these trees to access otherwise unreachable areas. Planting seeds can also open doors or reveal Treasure Chests.
In Twilight Princess, Wolf Link can detect soft soil with his senses. Digging in small spots usually yields Rupees and Hearts, but by digging in big spots, Link can gain access to Secret Grottos. By digging in soils next to walls or buildings, Link can reach the other side or get inside the building.
In Skyward Sword, there are three types of soil. The first type requires the Digging Mitts to be dug, which yields Rupees, Hearts, Treasures, and pressured steam which Link can use to reach otherwise unreachable areas with his Sailcloth. The second type requires the Mogma Mitts, the upgraded version of the Digging Mitts, to burrow underground. Once underground, Link can then turn on switches, solve puzzles and access otherwise unreachable areas.
The third type of soil appears in Lanayru Gorge in the past and in the Sealed Temple. It is used to plant the Life Tree Seedling in order to grow a Tree of Life, which produces the Fruit required to cure Lanayru.
- "You got Magic Beans! Find a patch of soft soil, then press (C) to plant them in it. Who knows what will sprout up!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "If you want to plant beans, go around and look for soft soil." — Bean Seller (Ocarina of Time)
- "[K]eep in mind that [Gold Skulltulas] love soft soil..." — Man in the House of Skulltula (Ocarina of Time)
- "You got a Gasha Seed! Plant it in soft soil!" — N/A (Oracle of Seasons)
- "On Outset Island, buried beneath the black soil...there's some serious treasure." — Fishman (The Wind Waker)
- "But I can at least plant a tree here in this soft soil... If you conduct me, I can use [A] to sow seeds." — Makar (The Wind Waker)
- "The ground is soft from the rain, so I wonder if you can dig your way in under the wall, meow?" — Cat (Twilight Princess)