Skyloft (pronounced /ˈskaɪˌlɒft/ SKY-loft or /ˈskaɪˌlɔːft/ SKY-lawft), also known as Isle of the Goddess, is a series of large islands floating above the clouds in Skyward Sword. The main island includes the Bazaar, a large residential quarter, a bathhouse, as well as a plaza and the Light Tower. Other places among the other islands are the Knight Academy, a boarding school run by Gaepora that Link and Zelda attend along with several other students, and the Isle of the Goddess, which holds the Statue of the Goddess.
Skyloft is a set of floating islands in The Sky and is inhabited by humans who descended from those who lived among the Goddess Hylia. The citizens of Skyloft are noted for tranversing the sky by riding large birds of various colors. The floating civilization is home to a number of notable features including the Bazaar, the Knight Academy, the Waterfall Cave, the Statue of the Goddess, Beedle's Air Shop, a Graveyard and a large number of households. During the day, Skyloft is full of life, but becomes infested by Keese, Chuchus, and Remlits during the night as result of Batreaux's curse.
Skyloft was created at the end of the Era of the Goddess Hylia when a crack in the earth appeared, and from the fissure came Demise and his demonic hoards. They launched a massive assault on the world known as the Surface, burning forests to ashes, choking the land's sweet springs and killing without hesitation. Hylia gathered the surviving Hylians on a small outcropping of land and sent them along with the Triforce skyward to protect them and the sacred relic from the demonic hordes that had overrun the surface world. This plot of land became known as the Isle of the Goddess and along with other floating islands constituted the new home of the Hylians, which became known as Skyloft.
In order to keep the sacred power from falling into the hands of Demise, Hylia also hid the portals to the three pieces of the Triforce within Sky Keep, and enshrined the Goddess Sword inside the Statue of the Goddess, to be found by a chosen hero when the time was right. Skyloft remained in the sky above the clouds for generations, knowledge of the Surface and the origins of Skyloft becoming nothing more then a mere legend. Despite knowledge of their origins dwindling, however, the present people of Skyloft still knew of the Goddess Hylia and believed she watched over them to that day, unaware that she was living among them in a mortal form in what was now known as the Sky Era.
25 years prior to the events of Skyward Sword, the people of Skyloft established the Knight Academy, a school for the Knights of Skyloft, and the Wing Ceremony, an annual yearly event where students at the Knight Academy would engage in the ceremony to advance to their next level in class. It concludes with the winner reenacting the role of the Goddess's Hero from long ago with another student playing the role of the Goddess herself. In the present events of the story, Link goes up against Cawlin, Strich and Groose in the ceremony, winning and getting to spend personal time with Zelda, playing the role of the Goddess and giving him the Sailcloth she made. As she is about to tell Link something personal that has been on her mind, she is swept away to the surface world by a tornado conjured by Ghirahim. Link wakes up, seeing a figure, later known as Fi, and begins to follow the figure into the interior of the Statue of the Goddess. Upon entrance, the figure reveals itself to be Fi, and instructs Link to pull out the sacred Goddess Sword and raise it skyward. After Link raises the sword, Gaepora walks in, and Fi gives Link the Emerald Tablet, and instructs him to place the tablet into the alter. As an effect of the tablet, a rift in the clouds forms, revealing a path to The Surface, where Fi says Zelda is located. Late in the game after learning the Song of the Hero from Levias, Link discovers the Sky Keep, an ancient temple that was built inside the Isle of the Goddess with the sole purpose of protecting the Triforce. After venturing inside and reciving the Triforce, he wishes for the eradication of Demise, and upon being granted the Isle of the Goddess breaks off from the remainder of Skyloft and begins to desecent towards The Surface. The isle settles in the large spiral pit in the Sealed Grounds, successfully destroying Demise.
After Demise is successfully killed in the past, various people of the present day Skyloft including Gaepora, Cawlin, and Strich journey to the surface and seemingly discover their true origins. It would seem that, over time, people from Skyloft, like Link and Zelda, chose to stay on the surface world as, and by the time of the Force Era, many humans live on the surface world that has come to be known as Kingdom of Hyrule.
- Many of the Skyloft residents' names are based on that of a bird from the real world.
- Link can use the Gust Jar on the red and purple pennons that hang above the steps beside Orielle and Parrow's home to cause Blue Rupees fall out of each one. Using it on any of the others throughout Skyloft will simply blow them around, yielding nothing.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Here's Skyloft, from Skyward Sword." — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- "Skyloft" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 18)
- "The plot of land Hylia sent into the sky became known as the Isle of the Goddess." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 72)
- "To prevent this great power from falling into the hands of the evil swarming the lands... The goddess gathered the surviving humans on an outcropping of earth. She sent it skyward, beyond the reach of the demonic hordes. Beyond even the clouds." — Introduction (Skyward Sword)
- "The plot of land Hylia sent into the sky became known as the Isle of the Goddess. The islands in the sky where the surviving humans dwell became known as Skyloft." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 72)
- "Master Link, I bring news. I have confirmed that the Isle of the Goddess, which was formerly a part of Skyloft, has returned to the surface. Furthermore, I have detected the successful eradication of Demise. Your prayers to the Triforce have been heard." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "I've had my suspicions, but until now I wasn't sure. Yet here we are in the Chamber of the Sword, the very place where it was foretold the youth of legend would one day appear. It is said that this place was left to our people by the goddess herself. The very knowledge of this room's existence is a secret passed down to a select few each generation, along with a handful of words... When the light of the goddess's sword shines bright, the great apocalypse will wake from its long slumber. Do not fear, for it is then that a youth, guided by my hand, shall reveal himself in a place most sacred." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "The words I have sworn to keep secret are coming true before my very eyes. The youth will be guided by one born of the blade--one who is also youthful in likeness yet wise with knowledge immeasurable." — Gaepora (Skyward Sword)
- "Oral tradition, one of the least reliable methods of information retention and transmission. It appears that critical sections of the passage have been lost over the generations. The youth who draws forth the guiding sword shall be known as the goddess's chosen hero, and it is he who possesses an unbreakable spirit. He shall be burdened with the task of abolishing the shadow of apocalypse from the land. Such is his destiny. With the spirit of the blade at his side, he shall soar over the clouds and plummet below... ...And united with the spirit maiden, shall bring forth a piercing light that resurrects the land." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Excellent. As you well know, today's champion will graduate to the next class, bringing him one step closer to knighthood. He will also receive a gift from the young woman chosen to play the role of the goddess in this year's ritual. Today is a special day for many reasons, but it is also the 25th anniversary of our fine institution. To celebrate the occasion, today's champion shall also receive his gift high atop the Statue of the Goddess. I hear the young woman performing the role of the goddess this year has crafted the gift herself. And as you all well know, the role of the goddess this year will be performed by..." — Owlan (Skyward Sword)
- "The lovely Zelda!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Link, hand me that Bird Statuette you grabbed in the race. I must offer it to the goddess. Great goddess, guiding light and protector of our people, grant us your blessing and mercy as I act in your stead during this ceremony. Valiant youth who grasped victory at the celebration of the bird folk... In accordance with the old ways... I now bestow the blessings of the goddess upon you. The blessings of the goddess drift down from the heavens aloft a sail, which I now pass on to you." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "According to your social customs, I should provide you with my personal designation. Fi is the name I was given. I was created for a single purpose, long before the recorded memory of your people. I must aid you in fulfilling the great destiny that is your burden to carry. Come, Link. You must take up this sword. As the one chosen by my creator, it is your destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The strange dreams troubling your sleep. My sudden appearance. Uncertainty surrounding the fate of one you hold dear. Under the circumstances, it is only logical that you would exhibit some apprehension. To minimize your uncertainty, allow me to share some information. My projections indicate that this information has a high probability of altering your current emotional state. The one you seek, honorable Zelda, is still alive. And this spirit maiden... the one you call Zelda... is another chosen one fated to be part of the same great mission. Therefore, should you wish to meet with your friend, I highly recommend you take up this sword before you set out to search for her. Does that information invigorate you? Are you ready to accept this sword?" — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "The one chosen by my creator. I have been waiting for you. You will play a role in a great destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "It seems that further persuasive measures will not be required. In the name of my creator, draw the sword and raise it skyward." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Master, you must embark on a great journey beneath the clouds to the vast realm of the surface. It is only through this journey that you can fulfill the mission set before you by my creator, the goddess. It is also the only method available for you to reunite with the spirit maiden, honorable Zelda." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Bahah! So you've learned all three parts of the song from the dragons, eh? You have done well, young one! True to my word, I will perform the last part of the song for you. Ahem... You learned the final part of the Song of the Hero... The Song of the Hero is now complete! Now that you know the song, I trust you know what to do with it. That old song opens a door to a great trial. Should you succeed in conquering the challenge awaiting you there, I'm certain the path to the Triforce will be revealed to you." — Levias (Skyward Sword)
- "Look around us! As a child, I always dreamed of a world below. I wanted to see the surface with my own eyes and feel the land's warm breeze on my skin. I... I think I want to live here. I always want to feel solid ground beneath my feet, see the clouds above my head, and watch over the Triforce." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
|Hyrule in Skyward Sword|
|Click on a location|